Earliest 1970 Chevelle LS5 - Chevelle Tech
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By 70SSTHUMPER
  • 1 Post By Rick_Nelson

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 16, 7:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Gary

Question Earliest 1970 Chevelle LS5

Can anyone say when the earliest confirmed Z15 optioned 1970 Chevelle was built? The car in question is an Oshawa built Z15 M22 car, built September 1969 (9D). I came across it on a facebook Chevelle group and it immediately struck me as odd. Reason being, I've owned 2 1970 Z15s and still own 1... both built in January of 1970 and both M22 cars. The earliest Oshawa Z15 I have seen is a car on Dales registry, an M40 car built (12B) December 1969. I know there are earlier cars built at other plants.

The owner claims is a pre-production pilot car that came with some hand written paper listing option codes. When I asked him about the GM of Canada docs, he said that since it's a pre-production car, there was a problem with the docs where it didn't have all the options or different options appeared. The owner believes it to be an LS6 but obviously Oshawa didn't produce any solid lifter cars.

Any thoughts on this? Could this be a real LS5 or is it a Malibu with a repro Z15 trim tag? If this car is real, it has to be the earliest Z15 by far, not just for Oshawa but in general! The owner mentioned something about a 307 so I'm guessing that's what the Canada docs list as the motor.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 16, 8:31 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage
Re: Earliest 1970 Chevelle LS5

My car is a Leeds 11D that left the factory on 12-4-69. Currently it is the earliest LS5 car in the registry. I think that September is way to early for a M22. Mine is a M40.

70 LS5 convertible
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 16, 8:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12stones View Post
My car is a Leeds 11D that left the factory on 12-4-69. Currently it is the earliest LS5 car in the registry. I think that September is way to early for a M22. Mine is a M40.
I agree because I heard the delay with the Z15 option was because the M22 option wasn't quite ready. I can understand a plant picking a Chevelle off the line to experiment with but since Oshawa coded their trim tags with the exact option codes, there really is no guessing game about it. Z15 M22 = SS 454 4-speed any which way you slice it. I still think there's something not quite right with this car.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 16, 8:45 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
RonO.

Garage
Question Re: Earliest 1970 Chevelle LS5

Oh no, another: "car that came with some hand written paper listing option codes". God help us.......
12stones likes this.

1970-LS5, #28- Fathom Blue,TH400, original motor car.
1970- NOM, 496, M21, #48 Forest Green.
1972- Malibu, 350. TH350- original motor car, #43 Gulf Green.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 16, 9:21 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chevelle Doctor

That cowl tag is hokey. Stones car is the earliest known LS5, and Oliver's LS6 is the earliest known LS6, both are automatics. Earliest M22 car I know of is 12-15.

Authentication and pre-purchase inspection service still available. PM me for more information.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still looking for that elusive 76 Nova SS.
People who have nothing better to do than b!tch about signatures need to get a life.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

70 Chevelle L78/M21
10 Avalanche LT 1500 4wd
06 Equinox
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 16, 9:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Birdwell View Post
That cowl tag is hokey. Stones car is the earliest known LS5, and Oliver's LS6 is the earliest known LS6, both are automatics. Earliest M22 car I know of is 12-15.
Exactly what I suspected but I didn't want to come out and say it without getting a second opinion. With my experience, Oshawa cowl tags are a bit "messy" when compared to US built cars. That tag looks too neat. It sucks for him because it looks like he did a high dollar frame off on a car that can easily be disproven with one phone call.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 16, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70SSTHUMPER View Post
Oh no, another: "car that came with some hand written paper listing option codes". God help us.......
LOL... note to cloners, don't start with Canadian built cars!!!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 16, 11:27 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Joseph

Garage

Listen to what you are saying.....Dont doubt yourself or the GM of Canada Docs. lol

When I asked him about the GM of Canada docs, he said that since it's a pre-production car, there was a problem with the docs where it didn't have all the options or different options appeared. The owner believes it to be an LS6.The owner mentioned something about a 307 so I'm guessing that's what the Canada docs list as the motor.

Joseph
TC# 5427
ACES# 7460

1972 Chevelle SS 454 LS5 "W" Code Convertible
Sequoia Green White Top and Interior

1970 Chevelle SS 396 "L78" 4 Speed Coupe
Black with Black Bucket Interior

1970 Chevelle SS 454 LS6 Coupe
Forrest Green with Green Bucket Interior

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 16, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972convss454 View Post
Listen to what you are saying.....Dont doubt yourself or the GM of Canada Docs. lol

When I asked him about the GM of Canada docs, he said that since it's a pre-production car, there was a problem with the docs where it didn't have all the options or different options appeared. The owner believes it to be an LS6.The owner mentioned something about a 307 so I'm guessing that's what the Canada docs list as the motor.
I doubted it from the very first second, but what got me is I tagged Dale in the guys post and he replied regarding the transition dates of the L78 to the LS5/6 but didn't comment on the guys story or the trim tag. That's why I posted it on here. GM of Canada paperwork doesn't lie, that I know, I've had quite a few of them including a 70 Z25 M21 a few years ago. The paperwork is key.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 16, 2:41 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70SSTHUMPER View Post
However, don't forget, Oliver's Pilot LS6 had a hand written "Pilot Order Z15 LS6" which is why I first called a very questionable car. Also on another note, when buying a car, NEVER take the Canadian paperwork as gospel. ALWAYS order a new copy. These are faked all the time just like other paperwork and have seen them a couple of times when doing inspections.
70SSTHUMPER likes this.

Musclecar Restoration and Design
Pleasant Plains, IL
217-626-(CARS)

Specializing in the LS6 Chevelle and Hi po Chevrolets

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 16, 12:52 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
RonO.

Garage

Good advice Rick, if I were the seller I would prepare everything I could assemble in order to justify the price I'm asking. We have all seen it, exposure to a car that looks like it could be, we almost want it to be real despite our best judgment. We are almost willing to give these cars extra credit beyond what is in plain view. The bottom line is, a fast move can be a costly move.

1970-LS5, #28- Fathom Blue,TH400, original motor car.
1970- NOM, 496, M21, #48 Forest Green.
1972- Malibu, 350. TH350- original motor car, #43 Gulf Green.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1106 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.