help with cowl tag decode - Chevelle Tech
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 7th, 05, 1:22 AM Thread Starter

help with cowl tag decode

I just joined and just purchased a 64 convertible. This is a great resource for a great chevrolet and I hope someone can help out. I am not positive the vin or cowl tag are original, as the car has been restored and the cowl tag does not have the original rivets. The car has had a color change and some options have been added during resto. But the cowl still reflects the original color (verified) and the add ons and color change were not put on the new data tag if in fact it was taken off and or changed. My main concern is after BODY, the tag reads EP 820. The vin shows it to be a Atlanta car,and I could not find any sources as to what EP means. Samples on the Trim Tag website for a Atlanta car show higher numbers for a build date close to mine.I also want to know if the frame has the vin code on it some place so I can verify it. The data tag is as follows ; -------- ----------------------------------11C------------------------------------------------------------------------STYLE 64-5867 Body EP 820----------------------------------------------TRIM 714-2 PAINT 900 A---------------------------------------------ACC WD 2L 3C-----------------------Vin 45867A120XXX --------Using production numbers, It seems plausible that the vin number would be correct for the build date but any input on this is also appreciated.

Last edited by simaxx; May 8th, 05 at 5:06 PM. Reason: wrong assemblt plant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 8th, 05, 9:43 PM

Re: help with cowl tag decode

EP is the Euclid Fisher Body plant in Cleveland,OH. The body would have then been shipped to Chevrolet at Kansas City for final assembly. I have seen 64 tags like yours for ElCamino and station wagon so it is may be possible the Euclid plant also made some 64 Convertable bodies.

Rene
66_Malibu
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 8th, 05, 11:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

It looks to me like a 64 V8 SS Convertible assembled at the Atlanta assembly plant. Color changes by an owner or restorer won't be noted in the cowl tag, just the original colors and interior colors and codes for accessories.

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 10th, 05, 10:52 AM
Senior Tech Team

Looking at my VIN#'s for 1964 production,I show the very last unit produced at the Atlanta Plant at the very last week of November 1963 was #119090.
Your Trim tag is showing a date/VIN# that does not correlate with this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 10th, 05, 12:21 PM

11C is the build date of the Fisher body. If the body was built in Ohio and considering some shipping time to Atlanta isn't a 1000 additional vin sequence number reasonable?
I would think the Atlanta completion week may actually be in early December?

Rene
66_Malibu
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 10th, 05, 1:19 PM
Senior Tech Team

I guess that's a very likely possiblity..and am asking if this is typical of what other 1964 owners have encountered?
I show the final unit produced at Atlanta for December 1963 was #125586,so that would make sense then to allow some time to elapse before the body met the final Vin# assigned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 5304 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.