Decided to buy this car instead any advise - Chevelle Tech
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 6th, 05, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Decided to buy this car instead any advise

Your input was greatly appreciated in my recent post about purchasing that 70 SS (see recent post). I still never got the full story from the guy, but when I started asking the RIGHT questions, he got weird on me. I bailed. Anyway, on to another one, right. I am going to look at this car. It needs a lot more work, but I am up to it. Does anyone see anything weird in these pics. What is up with the steering wheel. Was that an optional wheel? I would REALLY appreciate any help in keeping me out of any danger. Thanks again guys!!!

If someone can help with the link. It is ebay item #4546591527
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 6th, 05, 10:46 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: Decided to buy this car instead any advise

Brickyard, my friend looked at this car. It was on ebay a few weeks ago. I think the reserve was $16k last time. Now it's 12k. It needs A LOT of work. There's major rust in the 'A' pillar which is not mentioned. The cowl hood is dented. Notice they only show underside picture of hood. I'd be cautious. Steering wheel is from 71 or 72.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=4546591527

Tim
Team Chevelle #1877
'70 SS - L34/M20 (undergoing frame off)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 6th, 05, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Tim:

Thanks for the advise, every little bit helps. I am going to look at it in the am, I'll keep an eye out for those things

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 6th, 05, 11:15 PM

Red face Re: Decided to buy this car instead any advise

i think thats a pretty high price for a basket case.don't know if body is bent or tweaked from been taken off of frame?i have had one purchase off ebay on a car,was not satisfied with purchase.really look at it before you by.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 6th, 05, 11:46 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Garage

Looks like a MAJOR project to me ... wont be cheap to get it back together.

TC Member # 5462
70 Chevelle SS/396 4-Speed
DYNO RWHP: 364HP @ 5200 RPM / 426 Torque @ 3500 RPM
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 7th, 05, 1:16 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve Johnson

Brickyard, I hope you take this in the right way, run as fast as you can. For every problem that you can see there are probably five more that you don't see. Be patient and wait for the right thing. Many of the people on this board have waited years to get what they want and most were better off for waiting.

1970 SS with a .030 over 454 LS6 crate engine, 14096188 open chamber rect. cast iron heads, 3933163 intake, Quick Fuel Q850PV, Summit 110gph FP, Holley 12-803 fuel pressure regulator set to 6.5 psi, Bullet cam (238/245 @ .050, lift 540/540, LSA 109), Gm HEI 93440806, TH400, FTI 3500 convertor, Hedman headers, 2.5" exhaust with H-pipe, Pypes Race Pro mufflers, 3.55 gears, KYB gas shocks, UMI rear adjustable upper control arms and UMI boxed lowers, pinion angle negative 1-2 degrees), 225/70/14 Cooper Cobra GT's and M/T Pro Bracket Radials, timing total 37 degrees. Best 1/4 mile pass 1.700 60', 11.841 @ 111.73 mph
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 8th, 05, 11:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Forget it completely. You could buy a $10,000 to $15,000 Chevelle and be way better off. This looks like a nightmare, completely far gone to even consider. Do you want a real SS, or a clone? Either way, wait until a better deal comes along. I would bet that you could put $25k into this thing and it would still be worth less than what what you paid and put into it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 5301 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.