Team Chevelle banner

This car on e-bay real deal?

3K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  LateNight72 
#1 ·
I am buying this Chevelle. Does anyone see anything wrong from the photos? The only fishy I noticed is NO TACH. Coulld that be right? You guys are the experts, please offer ANY advise. I can't seem to do a link but here is the item # 4546572199.

#3 · (Edited)
Looks like a nice car from the pics ... kinda odd its going for that price though. The full gauge package (tach, amp, temp) was an option ... you could get the "idiot" light package also for the SS. Is there a build sheet with the car? That's the most important thing, but if the car was cloned looks like a good job. My buddie paid $30K for a really nice 70 SS 454 4-Speed and after alot of research it turned out to be a clone.

I assume you went and looked at the car? Did you check for the boxed control arms, F41 Suspension, run the numbers on the car (axel, trans, motor, etc)?

Dash looks reproduction to me (silver around the small inner circles) -- original did not have the trim around the turn signals, brake and hazzard light. No big I pulled my original SS dash out to put a clean repro in, just things you should look at. Did they swap the dash to make it look nicer or remove the Malibu dash....

Either way its a nice car and I'm sure you will get tons of head nods .. Have fun!!

Oh one more thing .. the strips in the rear look off to me -- Too Fat and goes down too far on the trunk

#4 ·
My observations are as follows: Look close at the dash by the lighter,I see a fasten seat belt light, 71,72 only not 70. Big red flag! console missing push button to open, could be wrong lid? stripes on trunk lid very wrong, All seats and door panels are missing medalions IMO a $23,000 car should have these on it.emblem on steering wheelis a 69 style SS. hood hold down cables are not screwed down in the right spot on the core support. Don't get me wrong i'm not triing to pick this car apart, I hope this helps, If you like the car does it matter that much anyway? BTW at least the heads look to be rectangle port.

#6 · (Edited)
Brickyard69, IMO, Body looks good through the pics, but as you know pics are deceiving, as stated above tach and gauges were an option, if you havent I'd definetly go and look b4 buying, 72kamino stated about the seat belt warning light, hes right but I think this was in 72, either way its wrong, in 72 chevy changed its wiring harness, look to see if the seat belt warning buzzer and key minder are under dash, if so I think you have a 72 harness, also if i'm not mistaken the horn relay on a 72 is behind the master cylinder not on core support, if you go there take the vents out of the door jambs and take a flashlight and point it up towards the 1/4 window and see if you see weld or bondo spots of where they took trim off because it was a malibu and filled it in, thats if their trying to pass itoff as a true SS, and thats what your trying to buy. But again i've heard of people putting this on from a dealer option package for they liked the looks of it, Look and make sure you have the stiffing bars between upper and lower control arms in rear also, hey if you can get for $23k thats not a bad deal if its a true Super Sport, besides, its a "CHEVELLE" and they ALL look great, you can nit pick any car to death, if you like the car thats all that matters, most of this is easy fixes and a couple more $$$$, you'll definetly turn some heads with this car, good luck, mike

#7 ·
72SSKamino said:
Look close at the dash by the lighter,I see a fasten seat belt light
Wow, you must have better eyes than I do :eek: I sure don't see anything there.

If this car looks as good up close and in person as it does in the pics, you got a pretty good buy IMO. For sure it has some flaws as pointed out in other replies here, but no deal-killers.

#10 ·
brickyard69 said:
Do you think they put in a dash from a later year?
I do. Looking in picture #19, I'm pretty sure I see the seatbelt warning light, between the cig lighter and the radio. That's definitely a 72-only item.

Here's a picture of my dash, so you can see where to look. Mine's outlined in silver paint pen, his is not (if in fact that's what I'm seeing)...

Looks like a pretty car, for sure. Enjoy it!

#12 ·
am I correct that those silver outlines on the turing signal indicator lights are an indication of a repro dash? The orignals where all black? I was told that was the case but then somebody challenged me on that not to long ago.

#13 ·
freshayr said:
am I correct that those silver outlines on the turing signal indicator lights are an indication of a repro dash? The orignals where all black?
I don't think so.

Everything I've ever seen or read says that there turn signals, high-beam indicator and parking brake light were NOT outlined in silver.

That being said, a lot of people restore these dashes by painting them all black, then outlining the silver areas with a silver paint pen. I'm sure some people restore original dashes incorrectly by outlining these four small circles in silver.

Just because the four small circles are outlined in silver doesn't necessarily mean repo dash, it might mean a restorer who didn't know better (or who liked it better that way).

I don't know how the repro dashes come...

#16 ·
Good eyes to catch the seat belt warning light .. surprised I didnt' see that. I agree with above, its definetely a 72 dash ... very common when cloning due to availability. Looks like a nice car brickyard, I'm sure you'll have some real fun it in.

Looks like you just need to work some areas to finish out the clone and nobody would know.

Enjoy!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.