'70 Chevelle Decode Please - Chevelle Tech
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 05, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Nate

'70 Chevelle Decode Please

I finally got off my butt and grabbed some of the numbers off our Chevelle. Car was built the 3rd week of February and the VIN is 136370R212221. Need some help with the decode, please:

Engine Block: T0202CRQ 10R212221

Rims: looks like - M3(?) 2 [valve stem] 5 A0
(Also what looks like a lower case "o" under the M3)

I think I asked Dale this question before, but where on the TH400 and rear-end would I find a stamp?

Thanks,
Denita & Nate

TC #2423

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TripleWhiteSS454; Mar 18th, 05 at 11:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 05, 2:18 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: '70 Chevelle Decode Please

I can help with some of it.
136370R212221
1 = Chev div of GM
3637 = Malibu, 2 dr., Coupe, 8-cyl
0 = 1970
R = Arlington Texas
212221 = assy seq. # starting at 100,000

T0202CRQ
T = Tonawanda engine plant
0202 = Feb., 2nd week
CRQ = 1970 454, mated to turbo-400, 360hp, LS5

10R212221 = partial vin derivitive
1 = Chev div of GM
0 = 1970
R = Arlington Texas
212221 = last six digits of VIN of car engien was originally installed in- Congratualtions you have a matching #'s engine!!!

AO on rims = 1970 SS wheels

Don't know where to look on tranny
Rear end should be on passenger axle tube, facing forward, just out from pumkin.

Steve Strasemeier (70SS 396, Fathom Blue/White Stripes)

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 05, 2:49 PM
Tech Team

The VIN should be on a Turbo 400 on the drivers side near the pan. There is a machined pad where the VIN will be. The VIN on both engine and trans should be the same font as they were stamped at the same time. On the left side of the transmission (passenger's side) there should be a metal tag, which will have the trans application code ie:CY and a julian date ie: 300. The rear will not have a VIN stamp on it, but will have the assembly plant and rear end codes on the front of the axle tube.

past assumptions aren't present realities...

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 05, 4:02 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleWhiteSS454

Rims: looks like - M3(?) 2 [valve stem] 5 A0
(Also what looks like a lower case "o" under the M3)
'2' = Feb, '5' = 5th. Wheel made on 2/5/70

Tim
Team Chevelle #1877
'70 SS - L34/M20 (undergoing frame off)

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 05, 9:23 PM
Senior Tech Team

Arlington started counting at 200001,not 100001.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 05, 8:42 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr70
Arlington started counting at 200001,not 100001.
Thanks everyone for the info. Really appreciated! I'll post again when I get more numbers.

Mr70, based on what you wrote, that means our Chevelle was the 12,221st built at the Arlington plant, yes? Were there fewer Chevelles built there than other plants, or does that number sound about right for a car built the third week of February, 1970? Any idea?

TC #2423

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 05, 9:27 AM
Senior Tech Team

Arlington Tx. was a new plant for the Chevelle,begining production in December 1969.
It & FLINT were the plants that didn't produce as many units compared to other plants for 1970.
The last unit produced at Arlington in February 1970 was VIN#212783.
Your VIN falls in line with this as the 12,221st unit built.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 05, 9:51 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg2001
The VIN should be on a Turbo 400 on the drivers side near the pan. There is a machined pad where the VIN will be. The VIN on both engine and trans should be the same font as they were stamped at the same time. On the left side of the transmission (passenger's side) there should be a metal tag, which will have the trans application code ie:CY and a julian date ie: 300. The rear will not have a VIN stamp on it, but will have the assembly plant and rear end codes on the front of the axle tube.
Thanks, Mr70. I'm amazed out how much info you have! If you don't mind my asking, how were you able to find out the VIN of the last car that rolled off the line at Arlington in Feb, '70?

Greg, I did a cursory glance at the car yesterday and grabbed what I could see on the trans. I couldn't see the pad with the VIN because of the recently installed 2.5" exhaust. I'll put it on a lift later and see if I can locate it. On the passenger side, I did find a metal tag with the following info (as best I could see):

C 73J 287 J
CJ 13110

The "C" & "J" on the first line were subdued print, i.e. not stamped letters.

Also, on the water pump:

C 2-70 GM 13969811 TX

The A/C compressor bracket:

Is there a number cast into the intake manifold as well?

No luck on finding anything on the rear-end, but I really need a lift to get a clear view for that as well. Thanks again, everyone.

TC #2423

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 05, 4:01 PM
Senior Tech Team

I have a collection of Chevrolet Zone letters/TSB/Service News & one of them lists the last VIN#'s built at each plant for each month,for each year.

Your Trans decodes as a 1973 420/240HP TRUCK TH400.
Assembled 287th day of 1973.
Serial #13110.

Water Pump is the correct # but dated March 2nd 1970.

I don't know what intake you have,but if it's cast iron,look for a part# behind the rear of carb,on the top facing up in front of Distributor.
If it's aluminum,it might be a #569 to the left of thermostat.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 05, 4:45 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Nate

Thanks again. I figured by the "73" on the trans and the Julian date that it wasn't original to the car and the previous owner had stated he didn't think it was original anyway. The engine was more important to us all in all.

Odd that the water pump is the wrong date. Is the "TX" any reference to the Arlington TX plant or just coincidence?

I'll check out the intake manifold. At least now I know where to look. Gotta love Bowties, tho -- the 428 in my Mustang is wedged in there so tight that changing spark plugs, much less looking up numbers, is damn near impossible. But on the Chevelle and the Monte I can crawl right up in the engine bay.

TC #2423

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 05, 4:49 PM
Senior Tech Team

The TX suffix is not referring to the State of Texas...merely a coincedence.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 05, 5:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Talking Re: '70 Chevelle Decode Please

Too cool ! Mine is a 4th week car , 155 units after yours & has the same build date & code for the engine ! Guess that makes us related !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 5383 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.