70 Chevelle SS? with 71 body tag?? - Page 4 - Chevelle Tech
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 50 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 16, 6:42 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage
Re: 70 Chevelle SS? with 71 body tag??

Why not just remove the trim tag and forget it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 50 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 16, 2:43 AM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard70 View Post
Got my original account working now lol. Ok I did some checking on the car and yes I have found the car was spliced across the floor pans into the lower pillar. They done a decent job all needs fixed is probably new floor pan to make it look better. I never noticed this really before as I haven't touched the car since I got it. Just recently got to looking into it again and possibly try to sell it. My question is can I just remove the body tag because that isn't illegal and have a new tag with correct stampings made from Trim Tag? Thanks
IIRC the new trim tags are slightly different than the originals but probably better than the wrong tag or none at all.

Chevelle Trim Tag $235

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42

L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon

post #48 of 50 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 16, 8:10 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
steve

So the guys here mention the VIN on a title should not be used to verify if it was stolen or not, its actually simple to get a state title for a car even if the car never had one or in this case if it was a stolen/totaled car and swapped vins.

71 malibu 6spd 6.0 procharged
2011 streetglide stage 1- sold
05 F350 dually- 602 HP 853 ft lbs torque
former KC-10A Chief-"Our Goal Is Your Hole"

post #49 of 50 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 16, 9:04 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

If you can look at the replacement tag and tell it has been changed then what's the point of replacing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71'bu View Post
So the guys here mention the VIN on a title should not be used to verify if it was stolen or not, its actually simple to get a state title for a car even if the car never had one or in this case if it was a stolen/totaled car and swapped vins.
No need to do anything at all with the title since it matches the VIN tag that's on the car now.

If the original VIN can be found then it could possibly show up as stolen but more than likely it's just a case of two cars being made into one.

post #50 of 50 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 16, 9:21 AM
Senior Tech Team
Mitch

With the Arlington body tag, it may have been "rebodied" in TX. They don't have any problem with an owner combining 2 cars down there. I got stuck with a '67 Camaro that had a TX title in the past and was built in 2 different plants also...

70 Chevelle SS 396, M20 Oshawa built Z25 project.
66 Chevelle SS 396, Atlanta built 138 driver/project.
67 Camaro, ss/rs 350 LA built driver/project.
62 Impala SS with a transplant 409
1954 210 2 dr sedan 292 6 cyl, straight axle project
38 Chev coupe...355, 200r4, 8.5" 3.08 posi
69 Chev C10
89 R3500 roll back car carrier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1232 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.