70 Chevelle SS? with 71 body tag?? - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 50 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 15, 11:23 AM
Senior Tech Team

Re: 70 Chevelle SS? with 71 body tag??

I think you done did scare him off.

Tighten it till it strips and back it off a quarter turn.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

70 (SOLD)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 50 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 15, 12:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Could be he's just misunderstanding something ? From my limited experience I have,I think that the vin tag and the trim tag shouldn't match,Correct ? In other words the trim tag doesn't contain the vin number ? is that right ? The trim tag only has the first 5 numbers of the vin and the plant where it was made.
So,if he's thinking that the vin number is on the trim tag maybe he's just misinterpreting what he should have.If that's the case a couple of pictures of the vin and the trim tag would clear things up.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
post #18 of 50 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 15, 1:10 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

But, the assembly plant on the trim tag has to match the assembly plant in the VIN.

post #19 of 50 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 15, 10:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
But, the assembly plant on the trim tag has to match the assembly plant in the VIN.
Yes Dean I agree with you on that but the OP says "
"well my body tag says R16501 for BDY doesnt this indicate Arlington and also makes it a 71?? "
and that's what I don't think jibes.
Just because that number ends in a 1 doesn't mean it's a 71,or does it ?

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
post #20 of 50 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 15, 12:01 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

No, it doesn't, the last 8 would be something like 11R16501(X) because there is a number missing in the last 6 of the VIN, the R making it a Arlington, Tx assembled car.

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

post #21 of 50 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 15, 1:49 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoP View Post
No, it doesn't, the last 8 would be something like 11R16501(X) because there is a number missing in the last 6 of the VIN, the R making it a Arlington, Tx assembled car.
No Leo if you see on post#1 the OP says that R16501 number if from his trim tag.I didn't see that he posted the vin # anywhere and I think the OP is gone.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
post #22 of 50 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 15, 10:27 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

OK, I see what you're saying now John. I was going by what Dale said.

post #23 of 50 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 15, 11:23 AM
Senior Tech Team

Garage
Someone could have cut the cowl off a 71 to replace rusted metal on this car and never changed the trim tag. As long as the vin, convin, and title match the law won't care.
post #24 of 50 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 15, 1:00 PM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

It depends on the plant and the year whether the Style Number shown on the trim tag matches the VIN series/body style. The body number itself will not match anything on the VIN - unless simply by accident. Trim tag will also have the model year such as 71-13637. All 1971 Arlington Chevelles had a 5-digit body number with leading zeros used if necessary such as 00568, 08673, etc.

Those years/plants in this matrix marked Yes are known to use the same series/body style as the VIN such as 4537, 13337, 13517, etc. and designate an L6 engine. Those marked No NEVER use an odd digit on the trim tag so a 13617 trim tag would be used on a 13517 L6 Chevelle. Those marked unk "probably" follow the Yes group from 1970 on, I just haven't found photographic proof of one from those plants/years - yet.

TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998

* Build Sheet Data Collection
* Author:

post #25 of 50 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 15, 1:51 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
RonO.

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard70 View Post
I just purchased a 70 Chevelle and was told its an SS i'm still figuring that out or trying to. It has a 70 vin# and says made in K for Kansas City well my body tag says R16501 for BDY doesnt this indicate Arlington and also makes it a 71?? The Trim code TR732 is that of 71 not a 70? Anyone have suggestions? Dash swap or could this car came with that tag? Thank you
Tim
I'm in. Kinda curious what you got here Tim (Howard70). 1 post on Nov.25th with the question and then.....nada. Hope you jump back on board soon and provide some photos of vin and data plate.

We may never know.....................

1970-LS5, #28- Fathom Blue,TH400, original motor car.
1970- NOM, 496, M21, #48 Forest Green.
1972- Malibu, 350. TH350- original motor car, #43 Gulf Green.
post #26 of 50 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 15, 2:57 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70SSTHUMPER View Post
I'm in. Kinda curious what you got here Tim (Howard70). 1 post on Nov.25th with the question and then.....nada. Hope you jump back on board soon and provide some photos of vin and data plate.

We may never know.....................
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwhite00 View Post
I think you done did scare him off.
There are literally thousands of posts that never lead to a conclusion to let us know what the answer is.Sometimes all it would take would be a picture or a yes/no answer to a question that was asked to figure it out but the OP is gone.Maybe he's PO'd that he paid for an SS and feels he was ripped off.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
post #27 of 50 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 15, 3:08 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

I contacted him directly and he was supposed to buy the car from a friend that has owned the car for 5 years. He said the car was supposed to have been built the week of Dec.3rd of 1970 which actually seems like 71's would have been in production by then. I told him to re-post something because there are a lot of knowledgeable people on this website but he never has.
post #28 of 50 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 15, 5:44 PM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceS427bb View Post
welcome to the site
photos of the tag are needed..
if the car was from OHIO it may have needed extensive surgery prior to the current owner having it for 5years

68-Malibu 427bbc/t4oo/3.73-12bolt/pro charger f1-r
post #29 of 50 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 16, 12:33 AM

Sorry everyone I didn't even know anyone replied all this time until Saturday! I do still have this car. What I can tell is the vin tag has never been tampered with it even has original style rivets. The dash itself has some of the green paint on the framing of it that does match the body tag color of 49. I have determined this car has not had the body tag replaced nor the vin tag! There is no evidence indicating any replaced metal in these areas. I have removed the Heater box or blower housing and there is no Hidden Vin or CONVIN! I have looked this car over inside and out can't find any hidden vin. What DaleM said about the using of body tags is making perfect since in my case. I can provide pics showing that someone before me tried to take off or chop out the part that said 71 because I truly think they got scared and didnt follow up on this car. The car Title matches the Vin tag. I was hoping to find that CONVIN to check that dash then I had found it wasn't there. I had heard also some cars dont have that CONVIN their behind that box. I just wanted to update what I have found. I don't know what the explanation is but its on there and appears original!

ST 71-13637 R16501 BDY
TR732 49 PNT
12C710

VIN 136370K119333

Thanks
post #30 of 50 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 16, 1:59 AM
Tech Team

There is no way a car could have a 1970 Kansas City VIN and a 1971 Arlington cowl tag from the factory! I am betting the VIN plate has been changed! They reproduce the correct factory style rivet so you can't go by that!

1969 Chevelle SS 396 4spd
1972 Chevelle SS 402 4spd #'s Matching!(SOLD 9-9-11!!)
1970 Monte Carlo SS 454
1969 Camaro RS 4spd
1970 442 4 speed
1970 F-85 W-31 4spd
1971 Monte owned since '86
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1227 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.