Team Chevelle banner

68-72 frame vin stamp

25K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  Greg P 
#1 ·

I found these numbers on the drivers side of the frame between the last two body mounts.
I am hearing different stories, but where can I find the vin number stamped into the frame?
these numbers look like a part number and a date stamp but no vin.

See less See more
#4 ·
68-13427, I will look there, but this is on the left side. drivers side. this is contradictory to what everyone says.

BlueSS454, I hear you, but that is the same thing everyone says, but who has a photo of this? could this be one of those rumors that gets passed around over and over? I saw in another post pre 68 vin stamped where you say but not 68-72.

can anyone at all verify this to be fact?

#5 ·
"FO_FDYFO", it's no rumour in fact, I do have a picture I took last year while my car's body was off the frame showing the last 6 digits of the serial # stamped on the top of the frame but I'm not allowed to post any pictures here but I can e-mail you if needed…

Claude. ;)

P.S: My car is a '71 :yes:

#6 ·
There's not much rhyme or reason to frame CON VIN stamps. Like Tom says, most Atlanta frames have them on the right rear frame rail, on the top between the two rear trunk body mounts. It's also possible the frame is pitted bad enough on top that you'll never find it even if it was there.

#9 ·
I dont doubt them, I have 13 frames I can look at less than 100 feet from me. mostly 1970 but 69 to 72 chevelle 2 door, 4 door, caminos, and wagons and I have not found one vin number stamp. I just want to find one and know where to look. I was hoping this thread could serve as a log of possible locations and maybe find a rhyme to the reason as to if there are locations that can be associated with year or other commonalities.
I have had over 30 chevelles and have never seen this frame vin. I would like to see if we could get to the bottom of this. I think it makes good research. someone has to have something to start connecting the dots. maybe there is no pattern but if anyone can do this, it is the guys on this site. If we could get a few pics (more than one) I could take hydrochloric acid or something to see if I can get numbers to show up out of the pitted frames once the non pitted frames have been reviewed.

#10 ·
I found this site. some good stuff here.
http://chevellestuff.net/qd/frames.htm
I now know what the AO Smith frame manufacturer stamp is on one of mine. it has the S inside of the O right after the part number above the date stamp. Also Haynes manufacturer stamped on rear bar.
it gives some not mentioned locations to look also.
It still would be interesting to gather a location log here from anyone that can find theirs.
I will keep searching for anything on any of my frames. so far just manufacturer/dates.

#15 ·
Bill Rose, that is a 69 elky?
Dale, Great web site. I dont think I looked at it in all of these years. I have not been very active on TC since around 2007 but am getting back into some of the old projects I started 20 years ago. I have moved everything 4 times.

#21 ·
Not a Chevelle but I spend two hours last night searching for the frame vin on my 66 GTO. I used a pic from Dales sight for guidance and found the frame vin on the drivers side by the body mount nearest the wheel well. I had to sand the top of the frame to make it show up. It was stamped towards the gas tank side. The car originally came from California and the frame has no scale or major rust and as faint as the number is I really dont think I would have survived on a midwest car. I was thrilled to find the number because I am taking the car for a vin inspection and the inspector told me if he cant find a frame vin he wont pass the car.

#23 ·
I was thrilled to find the number because I am taking the car for a vin inspection and the inspector told me if he cant find a frame vin he wont pass the car.
This procedure needs to be revised by the states that require frame VIN inspections. It is one thing to find the wrong VIN, but if there is no VIN at the location it is supposed to be found and there is no evidence of tampering the inspection should not be failed. I am tempted to remove the paint in that area and stamp my VIN on the frame to keep from having problems in the future.

#27 ·
Pete I am going to leave it as is. Putting the wagon VIN on an El Camino frame would be fraudulent. I will have the body off the wagon frame in a bout a month and I'll check for a VIN on it.

#30 ·
well I wouldnt say it is fraudulent. fraudulent would be stamping a different number in a frame for the purposes of trying to elude its identity. (in my non lawyer opinion). I would say that nothing beats good documentation. photos of the process are hard to argue with. I almost think stamping your vin numbers in your frame for ease of identifying it or even the argument that you want the vin number there in case your car is stolen it can be identified if they are separated or whatever. I'm just saying you should be able to put your correct vin on your frame and even better would be documenting it. I could be wrong? who knows? I guess the right answer has already been said. tell the police or dmv and get them to document it so you are in the clear? If I cant find a vin on my frame I think I will talk to the state sheriff inspection guys and see how to handle it.

#31 ·
I have a NOM 70 Chevelle L34 built in Atlanta. When registering on the SS396 registry Dale brought to my attention the “stamped” vin tag. Having the build sheet match the trim tag I was confident in the authenticity, but wanted to find a CONVIN for piece of mind. There was none behind the heater box but I did find it on the top rail of the passenger side rear frame. Right where the original exhaust hanger would be. The frame was a bit pitted so I used 80 grit paper and some engine degreaser to wipe it smooth.
Thank you to all who have posted about this topic previously. It was a great help.

Attachments

#32 ·
. . . where can I find the vin number stamped into the frame?
My 68 El Camino, built at Fremont in January of 68, has two partial VINs stamped on the top of the frame on the driver side.

#1: ~7" behind (to the rear of) the second body bushing from the front. This is also just behind the transmission cross member. The characters face out.

#2: ~10" behind the body bushing just behind the rear wheel well. The characters face in.

Greg

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.