Hideous Gulf Green Chevelle - Page 3 - Chevelle Tech
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 91 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 13, 2:31 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
RonO.

Garage
Re: Hideouse Gulf Green Chevelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKalin View Post
In 1970 I bought a new Forest Green Nova SS 350. The lighter color greens on GM models seemed to be rare and really didn't do anything for me. A few years back I noticed a 71 or 72 Chevelle at car shows that was a light green and it just caught my eye. This past summer I was looking to get back into another old car and came across a Cottonwood Green 71 Malibu that I felt would make a nice cruiser show car. It didn't do it for me by the way it was set-up but I felt I could turn it into something nice and have a rare color instead of a red, blue or black car. I feel I'm on the right track just by changing the look of the car with a set of wheels and plan on cleaning and detailing the car out even more to have a nice rare color car at the shows and cruises this summer. https://www.chevelles.com/forums/atta...4&d=1347846101
Hank, that's a beautiful color, very nice. Unusual and pretty classy, my compliments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 91 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 13, 7:23 AM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage
Re: Hideouse Gulf Green Chevelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70SSTHUMPER View Post
Hank, that's a beautiful color, very nice. Unusual and pretty classy, my compliments.
Thanks, it's coming along slower than I wished but everything I've done to the car so far has really improved it's look. Finding out at age 62 it's not quite as easy to work on them as it was when I was in my twenties.
post #33 of 91 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 13, 9:24 AM
Senior Tech Team
Keith

Re: Hideous Gulf Green Chevelle

Oh, certainly don't keep an unusual or unique color like Citrus Green! nope, you should paint it...

RED

Or BLUE...

Or BLACK.

Yep, resale red. Just like everybody else is doing. :-/

After all, you wouldn't want your car to stand out and draw any attention, now would you?

Keith

Owner: World's Fastest 66 Chevelle - really...it's really really fast since I put on that chrome differential cover

post #34 of 91 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 13, 11:35 AM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBlueGlow View Post
Oh, certainly don't keep an unusual or unique color like Citrus Green! nope, you should paint it...

RED

Or BLUE...

Or BLACK.

Yep, resale red. Just like everybody else is doing. :-/

After all, you wouldn't want your car to stand out and draw any attention, now would you?

You know I never really cared for that color green (like I said in an earlier post) till I saw it on another 71 or 72 Chevelle at a car show and that's exactly what I thought that looks really nice and is different than the norm. Another thing it's not is a fake SS and will never be one. I like my "Plain Jane Malibu" just the way it is big block, 4 speed and 12 bolt rear end.

Last edited by HKalin; Jun 24th, 13 at 12:26 PM.
post #35 of 91 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 13, 4:38 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

No offense to all the red, blue, silver car owners out there but, next time you attend a car show or cruise night . Take count how many green ,beige or gold cars are there compared to the more popular colors. I like the less popular Original colors myself . I think they stand out more. JMHO
post #36 of 91 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 13, 4:42 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

That's a sharp looking car Hank, I really like the Cottonwood green
post #37 of 91 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 13, 5:02 PM
Tech Team
Jim

in 1985 i bought a 1970 chevelle that color for $300. it had a 1972 front end on it. i clonned it to a SS and put a built up sb 400, a 1970 front end and painted it forest green with white stripes. it was stolen in two weeks. had i kept it that light green color it probably would not got stolen.

Jim
post #38 of 91 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 13, 6:34 PM
Tech Team
Chuck

Well you know the saying opinions are like @ssholes... everyone's got one!
My numbers matching '67 was originally a Mountain Green car (don't see many of them) but it was tuxedo black when I purchased it in 2000. If I had kept the car... it would now be long overdue for a repaint (last done in '85) and would have put it back to the original color... cause it's different and that's what it was born with!
Just my $.02

Chuck Frame

Proud Owner of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Team Chevelle #664

post #39 of 91 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 13, 9:45 PM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

Quote:
Originally Posted by framer View Post
Well you know the saying opinions are like @ssholes... everyone's got one!
My numbers matching '67 was originally a Mountain Green car (don't see many of them) but it was tuxedo black when I purchased it in 2000. If I had kept the car... it would now be long overdue for a repaint (last done in '85) and would have put it back to the original color... cause it's different and that's what it was born with!
Just my $.02
Chuck, I remember you not liking that Mountain Green, but sometimes on the right car it can really showcase a colour.

Here's a '67 Chevelle SS396 in Mountain Green on e-Bay right now: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Chevrolet-Che...ht_39695wt_917 . They are saying it is an L-78 but I see no casting numbers. Surprisingly, it actually looks very nice in that colour. By the late '60s through the 1970s greens really had their day.

"The more you know,
the more you realize there is that you don't know." - Dad

TC Gold #120

post #40 of 91 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 13, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
RonO.

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 chevelle 496BBC View Post
in 1985 i bought a 1970 chevelle that color for $300. it had a 1972 front end on it. i clonned it to a SS and put a built up sb 400, a 1970 front end and painted it forest green with white stripes. it was stolen in two weeks. had i kept it that light green color it probably would not got stolen.

Jim
Well that sucks Jim, especially since they probably painted it "Gulf Green" to cover up the crime. What goes around.......
post #41 of 91 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 13, 2:15 PM
Tech Team
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
Chuck, I remember you not liking that Mountain Green, but sometimes on the right car it can really showcase a colour.

Here's a '67 Chevelle SS396 in Mountain Green on e-Bay right now: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Chevrolet-Che...ht_39695wt_917 . They are saying it is an L-78 but I see no casting numbers. Surprisingly, it actually looks very nice in that colour. By the late '60s through the 1970s greens really had their day.
Hi Cam,

Well I've matured since then LOL... I just looked at this L78... WOW nice piece... and the color rocks!

Chuck

Chuck Frame

Proud Owner of

Team Chevelle #664

post #42 of 91 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 13, 3:19 PM
Senior Tech Team
Fat Stig

I like that color. Everyone and their friggin brother has a red one or a black one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpete, Dean, Derek69SS, hoffbug, rubadub, Grandsport, Thomas Jefferson, 1badss396, MEJ1990TM, and mrdjc99
As usual, Andy is right
If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway.

I have to keep reminding myself this isn't a Z16 convertible, Evening Orchid Camaro, or factory 1966 SS427 and get on with it.

post #43 of 91 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 13, 3:24 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Andy

My Arlngton built 70 SS clone is factory 43 Baby Vomit Green. And you bet your sweet you know what that Cranberry red is coming off to go back to the puke. I am truly of the thought that with a nice base coat and cut and buffed clear, it will look incredible.

Couple of junkers and a few clunkers.
post #44 of 91 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 13, 3:33 PM
Senior Tech Team
Fat Stig

I've been through two babies and lots of baby vomit but I never saw any that was green

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpete, Dean, Derek69SS, hoffbug, rubadub, Grandsport, Thomas Jefferson, 1badss396, MEJ1990TM, and mrdjc99
As usual, Andy is right
If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway.

I have to keep reminding myself this isn't a Z16 convertible, Evening Orchid Camaro, or factory 1966 SS427 and get on with it.

post #45 of 91 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 13, 3:49 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy's Auto Repair View Post
My Arlngton built 70 SS clone is factory 43 Baby Vomit Green. And you bet your sweet you know what that Cranberry red is coming off to go back to the puke. I am truly of the thought that with a nice base coat and cut and buffed clear, it will look incredible.
I think you hit the nail on the head. I think that with putting a clear coat on this color it just brings the color out so much more than the factory finish did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in