early 64 SS cowl tag information - Chevelle Tech
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 11, 1:11 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Smile early 64 SS cowl tag information

I Have a 1964 Chevelle SS convertible fact 4 spt, tinted etc.
First line on tag is: 913
Second line is 5867 KC 57
Third line is 741 9121
fourth linw is E 2LPS 3C

Can anyone help in telling me exactly what I have and when made? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 11, 1:22 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

64 SS code info

I have a 64 SS convert fact 4 spd etc. Need help understanding actual meaning on cowl tag., date, shift etc or anything else that would be of help with the SS Chevelle.
First line 913
Second line 5867 57
Thirdline 741 9121
Fourth line E 2LPS 3C

I really need some sharp help in identifing this early little SS convert
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 11, 2:03 AM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

Re: early 64 SS cowl tag information

I already have my thoughts so we'll see what others may think. Might note the 913 is correct and in the location of the body assembly date.

TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* Build Sheet Data Collection
* Author:

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 11, 9:33 AM
Gold Founding Member

912 Silver Blue Paint
741 Blue Vinyl, Bucket Seat Interior

E RPO A01 Tinted Glass, All (Soft Ray Glass)
L RPO M20-21-22 Muncie 4 Speed (Used Only by Kansas City Plant in 1964)
P RPO U63 Pushbutton Radio
S RPO U73 Manual Rear Antenna
C RPO B70 Padded Dash

KC, Kansas City Plant
5867 Sequential Body Number (Fisher)

https://www.chevelles.com/ref/64main.shtml

Tory
ACES Member #1890
Team Chevelle Gold #288

1955 Chevrolet Bel Air Unrestored 15,000 Mile Survivor
1955 Chevrolet Nomad
1964 Malibu SS Unrestored 36,000 Mile Survivor
1964 Malibu SS
1966 Chevelle SS 396 Unrestored 76,000 Mile Survivor
1968 Camaro
1968 Malibu L-79, 1 of 4082 ~ SOLD
1984 Hurst Olds w/ Factory Sunroof, 1 of 99 ~ SOLD
1985 442 White / Grey w/ Factory Sunroof ~ SOLD

Last edited by Lionel-n-Chevelles; Mar 2nd, 11 at 6:02 PM.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 11, 10:04 AM
Senior Tech Team
Rod

Garage
Re: 64 SS code info

I dont have access to my book for tag decoding, but if you post this over in "TAG Team" thats where you will get the exposurere and expertise you need.

9 years and FINALLY she's drivable, just in time for my first born son.

Rod Hill
IT/AG instructor
Ag. Mechanics, Ag. Power Mechanics, Ag. Wood
Los Banos High
Los Banos California
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 11, 11:25 AM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel-n-Chevelles View Post
912 Silver Blue Paint
741 Blue Vinyl, Bucket Seat Interior

E RPO A01 Tinted Glass, All (Soft Ray Glass)
L RPO M20-21-22 Muncie 4 Speed (Used Only by Kansas City Plant in 1964)
P RPO U63 Pushbutton Radio
S RPO U73 Manual Rear Antenna
C RPO B70 Padded Dash

KC, Kansas City Plant
5867 Sequential Body Number (Fisher)
I beg to differ on a couple of these:
The letter "L" is a 4-speed but only the M20; M21 and M22 weren't available in 1964 and all plants that used these group codes used "L" for a 4-speed, not just KC.

I believe the letter "P" is the Comfort & Convenience Group (RPO Z01) and, on a Malibu/Malibu SS, consisted of Inside Mirror, Standard Outside Mirror, 2-Speed Wiper and Washer, Back-Up Lights, Glove Box Lamp, & Bottle W/S Washer Fluid. Although radios were always an option only the stereo tape in 1967, and possibly the stereo multiplex units in 1965, were ever coded in the option groups.

5867 is the Fisher Body style number, 57 is the Fisher body number.

If there's documentation that shows something different, I'd be intereted to discover otherwise.

* Author:

post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 11, 11:34 AM
Tech Team
Warren

Send a message via AIM to tar6569

I agree with Dale. Just a quick note that the M21 was available in 64 on fullsize cars. 1,945 cars were ordered with it.

Warren

1964-70 fullsize chevrolet research
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 11, 11:57 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

What Rod said, although I can help a little.

913, maybe the paint code, could possibly be the build date, such as 01B which would be the second week of Jan as the build date.

5867, V8 convertible. unless the VIN has the 58 in it after a 4, it could still be a six cylinder, yes, they came with six cylinder SS's back then.

When you post in the Tag Team forum, post the VIN too.

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 11, 12:53 PM
djw
Team Member
Danny

9121......had a white convertible top.
913.......built Sept 13th

Just ridin' around. Wanna get in?

post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 11, 5:21 PM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoP View Post
What Rod said, although I can help a little.

5867, V8 convertible. unless the VIN has the 58 in it after a 4, it could still be a six cylinder, yes, they came with six cylinder SS's back then.

When you post in the Tag Team forum, post the VIN too.
The Fisher Body style number doesn't indicate a V8 or L6; Fisher Body style number 5867 only indicates a Malibu SS convertible.

As noted, the VIN is the only way to determine a V8 or L6.

* Author:

post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 11, 8:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Hmmm. This very same trim tag was not attached to a car when photographed and provided for Dale's excellent website ... So is the tag now attached to a car?? If so, the bigger question is, is it attached to the car it originally came on, or is it on another car now ?? Inquiring minds want to know!

Jeff Helms
-65 Z16 Survivor (Red/black/white int.) (
)
-65 Z16 drag car, unrestored (Red/Red)
-65 SS Convertible (Red)
-65 300 2-dr Wagon, Modified (Tuxedo Black)

-66 SS L78 Coupe (Marina Blue), unrestored
-66 SS L34/M20 Survivor Coupe (Aztec Bronze) - 'Vintage Legend' Certified (
)
-66 SS Convertible (Marina Blue)- "LOADED"

-67 SS L78 Survivor Coupe (Grenada Gold)
-67 SS L34/M21 Survivor Coupe (Tahoe Turquoise)
-67 SS L34/M20 Convertible (Bolero Red)
-67 ElCamino L35/M20 (Butternut Yellow)
-67 Concours Station Wagon (Mountain Green)

-67 Camaro SS350 Survivor (Grenada Gold)- 'Vintage Legend' Certified by the American Camaro Association
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 11, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Good God. i have had the entire world concerning auto vin numbers etc envolved in verifing this car. I can not at this time remember exactly the name or initials of the agency that along with the Arkansas Hiway Patrol checked this vehicle over for originality and was found to be a true SS that matched the title and all numbers found on the frame also matched. I have the varification from the State police and the NICB or something close to this which also varifies that this car is a true early 64 Chevelle convertible with all numbers matching. This took some time and expense but it is for sure as stated. I had rather not argue about what I have as it is varified a true early SS. I need genuine honest help with figuring this car out. Thanks Jerry
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 11, 11:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

And that is exactly what we are trying to do. Post the VIN to help us.

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 11, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Again, This is the original tag. I took it off and put it in my bank lock box to be sure it stays genuine. It is well documented. Christ, why are they so many doubters?
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 11, 12:36 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardall1 View Post
Again, This is the original tag. I took it off and put it in my bank lock box to be sure it stays genuine. It is well documented. Christ, why are they so many doubters?
Ok, I remember this car now. Looked back at your prior posts and found this:

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=322025

And you wonder why there are "doubters"?!?!? Well for starters:

(1) you removed the cowl tag from the car

(2) you say in the other thread that the car didn't have a vin tag when you got it

(3) you say in the other thread that you now have a new reproduction / replacement VIN tag that you had MADE for you by your state DMV -- not the original GM VIN tag; and

(4) you say in the other thread that it was necessary for you to get the police, NICB, DMV and state authorities involved just to figure out whether your car's VIN matched the title you received -- yet it is an incontrovertable fact (as was established in the other thread) that if you didn't have the original vin tag with the full vin # then neither you nor any government agent or police officer were going to find the full VIN # of the car anywhere else on the car.

And therefore you cannot, ever, under any circumstances, prove that the car you own was born with the SS vin # that you have on your title and on your reproduction / replacement VIN tag. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't. But the point is it can't be proven either way now.

If you think I'm being tough on you, I apologize, but I bet if a poll were run on TC the vast majority of people would agree that your car's missing, removed, replaced, reproduced and/or otherwise tampered with tags are far more troubling than you seem to think they are.

Best of luck to you though!

Jeff Helms
-65 Z16 Survivor (Red/black/white int.) (
)
-65 Z16 drag car, unrestored (Red/Red)
-65 SS Convertible (Red)
-65 300 2-dr Wagon, Modified (Tuxedo Black)

-66 SS L78 Coupe (Marina Blue), unrestored
-66 SS L34/M20 Survivor Coupe (Aztec Bronze) - 'Vintage Legend' Certified (
)
-66 SS Convertible (Marina Blue)- "LOADED"

-67 SS L78 Survivor Coupe (Grenada Gold)
-67 SS L34/M21 Survivor Coupe (Tahoe Turquoise)
-67 SS L34/M20 Convertible (Bolero Red)
-67 ElCamino L35/M20 (Butternut Yellow)
-67 Concours Station Wagon (Mountain Green)

-67 Camaro SS350 Survivor (Grenada Gold)- 'Vintage Legend' Certified by the American Camaro Association
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 3199 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.