LATE model run with NEW model V.I.N. ???? - Chevelle Tech
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 11, 8:35 AM Thread Starter
Joey

LATE model run with NEW model V.I.N. ????

I have a 1968 Chevelle, or at least that is what it seems to be. All body parts seem orig. but the V.I.N. says 136379k45---- Now I know it's a Malibu 2-door (5 pass.) coupe, assembled in Kansas City. It's that number 9 that has me thrown off. I don't have the title. I did buy it. I have a 'Bill of Sale', which ain't much...I know! But, they ain't makin' anymore of these sooo...I found one that was literally gonna be crushed and I had a chance so I took it and bought it. The body is in good shape. The floor boards are another story. I have done everything to cars except a 'Frame-off' which is where I am at now. I have completely disassembled it and sanded and primed it for now. I don't want to invest any money yet until I get a title in my name. If you're a wonderin'...NO it had no engine or trans for I.D. either.Figures right. Always learning if it's hard. Car was $100 plus $75 to tow it from the same guy. I didn't realize how difficult getting a title would be 'till now. So of course the guy doesn't remember nothing about where it came from.Hmmm...Well, to me it looks like a 1968 Malibu totally- narrow rear lights, vent window on door, both fenders are '68 and original. Now get this, the dash face(gauges) are round- that's '69. That could have been swapped out, but not the dash- it's welded in from factory. So I believe this car might be a late model run in 68 when '69's where starting to run and it had to get a '69 V.I.N. possibly. Now that would be MY dumb luck! If this story has an answer that you might know about, let me know something. Joey a.k.a. Rerun Thxs in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	116.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	39263   Click image for larger version

Name:	127.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	39264   Click image for larger version

Name:	119.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	39265  

Last edited by Rerun; Feb 26th, 11 at 9:46 AM. Reason: post new
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 11, 9:52 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Albert

Re: LATE model run with NEW model V.I.N. ????

it could be a 69 body,with 68 doors,fenders and tail lamp extensions!..stranger things have been done trying to "piece" a car together...everything will bolt on

1969 9566AA COPO Chevelle

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Malibu 489 ZL-1 T 56

1969 Beaumont 454 ZL-1 6 spd..under construction

1969 300 2 door post 427 ZL-1 4 spd

1970 Olds W 30 2 door post
MCC#511 ACES #1805
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 11, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Joey

That sounds like it would be right. I've done auto body for years, but I can't seem to find any signs of it ever being worked on. I took before and after pics(primer), and all lines match doors are same color & fit like new car. I just want some kinda clue. I could be wrong, I'll have to inspect more. In any case, I liked the '69 first. I just hope it doesn't turn out to have been stolen with V.I.N. tag replaced. I hope you are right and that it just had real good body work done with a 'donor' Chevelle. Thank You.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 11, 10:29 AM
Tech Team
Eric

On the bright side, if it was stolen and the VIN tag was replaced, the number on the tag will be a non-stolen number, right?

- Eric
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 11, 11:07 AM
Gold Founding Member
Thomas

Garage

post a pic of the vin tag and cowl tag so we can see the rivets.

Carolina Chevelle Association
TC # 688
ACES 2759
PeachState Chevelles

66 malibu wagon, 327, AC, pw.
67 chevelle 300 deluxe post, LT1-4L60E, 3:36-10 bolt posi,AC,tilt,pw,pl, Autometer gauges,custom dash
67 300 Deluxe, factory AC, project

"I think we have more machinery of government than is necessary,
too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious."
--Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Ludlow, 1824
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 11, 2:17 PM
Tech Team

There is usually a VIN stamp in the cowl on front right side where the A/C heater box is. Check to see if that stamp matches the VIN, if not, the VIN tag has been changed.

1969 Chevelle SS 396 4spd
1972 Chevelle SS 402 4spd #'s Matching!(SOLD 9-9-11!!)
1970 Monte Carlo SS 454
1969 Camaro RS 4spd
1970 442 4 speed
1970 F-85 W-31 4spd
1971 Monte owned since '86
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 11, 4:31 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Joe Vega

The frame should have most of the vin on the drivers side rear frame rail,behind the wheel. When the manufacture introduces that next year line up, its usually made around the middle of the year and will carry that next years date, not the date is was made. My 72 Custom Monte Carlo was first registered in June of 1971, its production number run with the regular 71 cars. Its titled and vin shows it as a 72.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 11, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Joey

Upon further inspection, the cowl tag confirms the fact that the shell is a '69. The confusing parts are; 1) The rear panel doesn't look as though it was replaced at all and it is a '68. 2) Also all the parts look to be orig. paint, a metallic green. (I will post a pic. of one I found online that is the exact color mine was) but, the only paint codes I could find suggest that it was 'Garnet Red'. Unless I am reading things wrong. The door jambs are all green with black in correct places.(pic. provided). No signs of color change or over spray anywhere. I sanded this car myself, this is the orig. color. Sorry for blurry pic of trim tag, near 'pnt' it reads 5252. To Joe Vega: I looked at rear of frame for a number with no luck. Maybe after it gets media blasted, something will be uncovered then. Thanks for all the help! Joey
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bg_palmer_800.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	39277   Click image for larger version

Name:	lop.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	39278   Click image for larger version

Name:	l.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	39279   Click image for larger version

Name:	l_93ce7f37d1b240b9a91e01ea98f62542.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	39280  

Name:	130.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	39281  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 11, 2:48 AM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
Upon further inspection, the cowl tag confirms the fact that the shell is a '69. The confusing parts are; 1) The rear panel doesn't look as though it was replaced at all and it is a '68. 2) Also all the parts look to be orig. paint, a metallic green. (I will post a pic. of one I found online that is the exact color mine was) but, the only paint codes I could find suggest that it was 'Garnet Red'. Unless I am reading things wrong. The door jambs are all green with black in correct places.(pic. provided). No signs of color change or over spray anywhere. I sanded this car myself, this is the orig. color. Sorry for blurry pic of trim tag, near 'pnt' it reads 5252. To Joe Vega: I looked at rear of frame for a number with no luck. Maybe after it gets media blasted, something will be uncovered then. Thanks for all the help! Joey
In 1969 paint code 52 is Garnet Red so if the paint appears to be the original Grecian Green there's something wrong. A 1968 model year car would not have a 1969 VIN, no matter how late it was produced.

A KC VIN with sequence of 45xxxx would be a June 1969 built car so the VIN would be almost at the end of the 1969 model year.

If the body from the firewall back is indeed 1968 stuff, it looks like someone took a 1969 cowl with the trim tag and VIN and grafted it onto a 1968 body shell.

TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998

* Build Sheet Data Collection
* Author:

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 11, 3:20 AM Thread Starter
Joey

DaleM, Thanks for reply! And man, I never thought of that. I'll have to inspect more tomorrow and get back with you on that. Very interesting. Also Thank You to Andy. I would like to know what you come up with on trim tag Thanks to all who have replied. I'll keep you posted. Thanks, Joey
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 11, 9:13 AM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by azchevs View Post
The frame should have most of the vin on the drivers side rear frame rail,behind the wheel. When the manufacture introduces that next year line up, its usually made around the middle of the year and will carry that next years date, not the date is was made. My 72 Custom Monte Carlo was first registered in June of 1971, its production number run with the regular 71 cars. Its titled and vin shows it as a 72.
Just to clarify, there are generally a few "pilot cars" and test runs done in late June and July of a particular calendar year for the next model year. Once the current model year production stops, usually around mid to late July and it's staggered by plant, the plant is shut down for retooling for the next model year. During this era the new model year cars, such as model year 1972, would generally appear at the dealers in August. Only a few of the early "pilot cars" and test runs are sold to the public and many of them are scrapped due to finding problems in assembly during this time.

A given model year production car is NEVER given the VIN of the previous or next model year; ie, even late 1968 (for) does not get a 1969 VIN nor do early 1969 production cars get a 1968 VIN.

Parts that are not truly 'generic' do not get carried over from one year to the next. Things like interior pieces do not get used for the new model year just because they might fit and some might be left over nor do new model year parts get used on late model previous year cars.

TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998

* Build Sheet Data Collection
* Author:

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 11, 12:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Looks like pop rivets on the trim tag. Maybe they just changed the tags? You should post a pic of the vin tag and its rivets too.

Jeff Helms
-65 Z16 Survivor (Red/black/white int.) (
)
-65 Z16 drag car, unrestored (Red/Red)
-65 SS Convertible (Red)
-65 300 2-dr Wagon, Modified (Tuxedo Black)

-66 SS L78 Coupe (Marina Blue), unrestored
-66 SS L34/M20 Survivor Coupe (Aztec Bronze) - 'Vintage Legend' Certified (
)
-66 SS Convertible (Marina Blue)- "LOADED"

-67 SS L78 Survivor Coupe (Grenada Gold)
-67 SS L34/M21 Survivor Coupe (Tahoe Turquoise)
-67 SS L34/M20 Convertible (Bolero Red)
-67 ElCamino L35/M20 (Butternut Yellow)
-67 Concours Station Wagon (Mountain Green)

-67 Camaro SS350 Survivor (Grenada Gold)- 'Vintage Legend' Certified by the American Camaro Association
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 11, 9:54 PM Thread Starter
Joey

Well, ran numbers with Police- it's not stolen.Whew!! Anyway, i'm believing that the firewall cowl was replaced,but don't know why someone would do that. Possibly rusted out due to a leaking heater core? Wanted a '69 instead? Not likely. Well what do I do with it? I mean leave it a '68 or finish making it a '69? Too expensive there, considering that it's not a true SS.It will be all jacked up, but definitely original that's for sure. Thanks for all the help, you guys rock! - Joey
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 11, 8:13 AM
Tech Team

Running the numbers on the VIN tag is a waste of time! Of course they will come up clean. All you proved is that the paper is clean, you proved nothing about the hunk of metal that the VIN tag is rivited to. That's the whole point of the bad guys switching tags. Get rid of the stolen VIN for a "clean" one. What you need to establish is that the CON vin under the heater box cover matches the VIN on the dash! Don't mean to sound like an a-hole but lots of folks get confused about what makes a car leagally clean. The paper will always be clean. On a Volkswagen site there is a guy with a 1978 beetle that has a 1971 VIN rivited to it. The VIN on the chassis was obliterated by drilling holes through the numbers in installing nuts and bolts that do nothing. He is convinced that because the title, vin and pink slip match that he is ok. THEY DIDN'T MAKE HIS MODEL OF BUG IN 71! He totally blows off the bit about having a VIN that is 7 years too early for the metal it is on. Don't make that mistake here. Truly establish the VIN from under the heater box and go from there. Just my opinion, I could be wrong
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 11, 9:55 AM
Tech Team
JOHNNIE

I AGREE. You need to check under the heater core cover. by the motor hole, and the core radiator hole. i once had to i d a 69 for a guy and found the con vin under the hood weather stripping along the cowl. THAT IS THE THING TO DO. check the con vins. at this point that is your only chance of figuring this thing out.

i need motivation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 3207 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.