Numbers Matching - Chevelle Tech
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 10, 3:10 PM Thread Starter

Numbers Matching

Anyone know how to tell if a car is a numbers matching car from gatering the infomation from all of the parts VIN Tag, Cowl Tag, Engine casting code and pad code, trans code, Frame vin, and rear axl code? Are the stamping date the only code that ties the drive train to the body and frame?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 10, 3:54 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ethan

Re: Numbers Matching

Well, on an engine and transmission, I believe there is partial VIN that should match the assembly plant and sequential production number of your VIN tag. For the others (like the rear axle), the build date should be in the right range of the build date of the car itself.

Ethan

1972 Chevelle
(oo________oo)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 10, 5:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks where do I find the partial VIN's on the engine and transmission?

The only numbers that I am aware of are the block casting number and enginge pad stamp.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 10, 5:21 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ethan

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibussman View Post
Thanks where do I find the partial VIN's on the engine and transmission?

The only numbers that I am aware of are the block casting number and enginge pad stamp.
I know on the engine, it is on the front passenger side of the engine on a pad. Not sure on transmission.

Ethan

1972 Chevelle
(oo________oo)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 10, 6:23 PM
Gold Founding Member
Thomas

Garage

It would help to know what year the chevelle is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Carolina Chevelle Association
TC # 688
ACES 2759
PeachState Chevelles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

66 malibu wagon, 327, AC, pw.
67 chevelle 300 deluxe post, LT1-4L60E, 3:36-10 bolt posi,AC,tilt,pw,pl, Autometer gauges,custom dash
67 300 Deluxe, factory AC, project

"I think we have more machinery of government than is necessary,
too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious."
--Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Ludlow, 1824
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 10, 1:06 AM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

Except for 396 engines and L79 engines, blocks normally didn't get a partial VIN stamping until it became law as of Jan 1, 1968 and some plants in some years didn't stamp the engine pad but rather stamped the partial VIN by the oil filter.

Comparing the VIN to the trim tag will only get you in the ballpark comparing the body date to the sequence number to see if the date falls within the range. The trim tag style may or may not match the first 5 digits of the VIN (through 71) but they have very different meanings.

Where a partial VIN is stamped on a transmission depends on what type of transmission. Elcamino66 pretty much said it. What year is it, what type engine and where was the car built, and what kind of transmission?

With just the information supplied, it's like asking what's the difference between a horse.

TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998

* Build Sheet Data Collection
* Author:

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 10, 1:28 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jake

He is looking at buying this car...

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334629

1972 Malibu Sport Coupe - Victory Red on Black - 350/TH350

I do all my own stunts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 10, 9:48 AM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

Quote:
Anyone know how to tell if a car is a numbers matching car from gatering the infomation from all of the parts VIN Tag, Cowl Tag, Engine casting code and pad code, trans code, Frame vin, and rear axl code? Are the stamping date the only code that ties the drive train to the body and frame?
Looking at the photos and verbiage, the transmission is a TH350 so it's not original to the car and the engine looks to be a later model or possibly a modified original 327. Intake is wrong, valve covers wrong, someone mentioned an HEI distributor, alternator on wrong side of engine. All-in-all, looks like a later model engine.

Not that there's anything wrong with the later engine and transmission but one must decide what 'numbers matching' is to them. To many sellers it means the VIN matches the registration meaning nothing else except it's a legal car. To others it means the paint and interior are correct. To most it means it has the car has the engine and transmission it was born with - this one does not fit that criteria.

* Author:

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 10, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcamino66 View Post
It would help to know what year the chevelle is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleM View Post
Except for 396 engines and L79 engines, blocks normally didn't get a partial VIN stamping until it became law as of Jan 1, 1968 and some plants in some years didn't stamp the engine pad but rather stamped the partial VIN by the oil filter.

Comparing the VIN to the trim tag will only get you in the ballpark comparing the body date to the sequence number to see if the date falls within the range. The trim tag style may or may not match the first 5 digits of the VIN (through 71) but they have very different meanings.

Where a partial VIN is stamped on a transmission depends on what type of transmission. Elcamino66 pretty much said it. What year is it, what type engine and where was the car built, and what kind of transmission?

With just the information supplied, it's like asking what's the difference between a horse.
Thanks I found out that the TH350 is not original to this car so the numbers matching is not as much of a concern anymore now that I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleM View Post
Looking at the photos and verbiage, the transmission is a TH350 so it's not original to the car and the engine looks to be a later model or possibly a modified original 327. Intake is wrong, valve covers wrong, someone mentioned an HEI distributor, alternator on wrong side of engine. All-in-all, looks like a later model engine.

Not that there's anything wrong with the later engine and transmission but one must decide what 'numbers matching' is to them. To many sellers it means the VIN matches the registration meaning nothing else except it's a legal car. To others it means the paint and interior are correct. To most it means it has the car has the engine and transmission it was born with - this one does not fit that criteria.
Thank you. I am looking for a nice cruiser not a major project and not a 100pt show car. So the non orginal is ok as long as I know. I still like the 327 even though it may be a later model just which 327 it is and I will decode it once I see what the pad stamp and casting number is.

Thanks all of the advice it has been really helpful. Even thought the car is not orginal I have learned a lot in the last couple of days about what to actually look for.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 10, 1:08 PM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

Just make sure it's at least a 327 since small blocks tend to be very close on the exterior. Either the engine stamp or casting number/date should provide that information.

Now you just have to decide if the price is right for you. Good luck.

* Author:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 3283 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.