VIN Swapper Charged - Chevelle Tech
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 10, 3:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Mike

VIN Swapper Charged

Think this guy thought he was breaking the law?

http://articles.lancasteronline.com/local/4/297884

Quote:
On June 8, Frey sold the unrestored V-8 Nova, police said. The buyer located the confidential vehicle identification number on the car and saw it did not match the car's displayed number.

Police and the Lancaster County Auto Theft Task Force investigated, and Frey was charged with six chop shop-related violations, police said.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 10, 3:35 PM
Tech Team
Brent

Re: VIN Swapper Charged

Wow, law enforcement actually cares about this kind of thing? Hmm, I woulda never guessed.

Brent
'69 Chevelle Malibu **STOLEN 9/10/2007**

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 10, 4:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentsChevelle View Post
Wow, law enforcement actually cares about this kind of thing? Hmm, I woulda never guessed.

TC# 4437

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 10, 4:44 PM
Gold Member

He deserves to get hanged for this. What is a "pressure number" that is mentioned in the article? And grinding numbers off the engine is not suspicious at all; I am sure he just wanted to reduce the weight without the expense of aluminum heads. The buyer of that car was smarter than the average guy, as he went to the effort of finding the hidden VIN. That saved him from putting any real work or money into the car and then having problems.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 10, 4:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

Question Re: VIN Swapper Charged

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWagner View Post
He deserves to get hanged for this. What is a "pressure number" that is mentioned in the article? And grinding numbers off the engine is not suspicious at all; I am sure he just wanted to reduce the weight without the expense of aluminum heads. The buyer of that car was smarter than the average guy, as he went to the effort of finding the hidden VIN. That saved him from putting any real work or money into the car and then having problems.
I read, and read and re-read that news article several times, and I still cannot figure out what a "pressure number" is either.

Perhaps, the news people believe that a Stamped Number is a pressure (stamped) number?

TC# 4437
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 10, 6:09 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rocky Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixActual View Post
I read, and read and re-read that news article several times, and I still cannot figure out what a "pressure number" is either.

Perhaps, the news people believe that a Stamped Number is a pressure (stamped) number?

I would agree. I think they were talking about stamped or casting numbers. I would lean to the stamped.

Rocky

A Man And His Chevelle!
It's A Beautiful Thing.

TC Member #1530

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 10, 6:23 PM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

I can't figure out what a pressure number is either. The only engine numbers I can think of that would identify it are maybe the casting date and block casting numbers and the engine plant ID stamped on the pad. A 283 certainly wouldn't have a partial VIN stamped on it to tie it to a specific car. Maybe the 6-cyl Nova was earlier than the 8-cyl car so he couldn't use the 8-cyl engine in the 6-cyl car with the swapped VIN due to the engine date.

Just out of curiosity I wrote the author of the article and asked him what he meant by the term.

TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998

* Build Sheet Data Collection
* Author:

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 10, 9:32 PM
Team Member
Buck

I wonder if a pressure stamp could refer to the POP?

Cruzin4Fun

1972 Chevelle
Dakota Digital VHX Gauges
Chris Straub full roller setup.
Retro .510/.492 221/223..108 Sep
Scat Full Rotating assembly
Icon Forged Pistons

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 10, 11:31 PM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONTWANT2 View Post
I wonder if a pressure stamp could refer to the POP?
Don't think so by the description given...
Quote:
.... also had obtained a 283 cubic-inch engine to put into the restored six-cylinder car, police said. He ground off the engine's identification number because it did not include a pressure number.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 10, 12:17 AM
Senior Tech Team
Marshall

Mr. Frey, the pressure is on.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 10, 11:45 AM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

I contacted the author and he admits he's not a car guy. He states the police press release said, "...because it did not have a PN number." He didn't know what "PN" was but a search turned up "pressure number" so that's what he went with.

I suspect someone verbally said "vin" and is was misheard as "pin" then got shortened to PN. Funny thing is a 67 283 wouldn't have a partial VIN stamped on it anyway. Could be someone misinterpreted the engine plant ID as a VIN and that's what led them to suspect something was up. Purely conjecture on my part, of course.

TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998

* Build Sheet Data Collection
* Author:

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 10, 12:34 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
George

OK guys, you know the author was not really smart. You'd rather talk about that fact then the important news that some low-life got busted. Nothing worse than car thieves, chop shops, and the like.
They used to hang horse thieves

George Kettler
o SOLD 8/2016 my beloved 1970 Elky 496.
o 68 Vette 427/M-20/3.36 23 year owner

o 68 Camaro Vert 327 project, painted, assembly stage
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 10, 1:11 PM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettbo View Post
OK guys, you know the author was not really smart. You'd rather talk about that fact then the important news that some low-life got busted. Nothing worse than car thieves, chop shops, and the like.
They used to hang horse thieves
No, I don't think we'd rather talk about the author's lack of automotive knowledge than the fact the guy was busted. I think most of us here are glad when scammers, chop shops, and anyone selling a phony car are busted.

When it's reported something like a pressure number was missing many of us, myself included, wanted to know what a pressure number refers to. Was it a local term, slang or what? Obviously something nobody else had ever heard of. It now appears as if the author didn't know what a PN was as reported in the press release and assumed through a search it meant pressure number. It's a matter of getting the facts straight.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 10, 2:07 PM
Senior Tech Team
The Driver

The people who report the news are a strange bunch. They seem to twist or screw up details regularly.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 10, 2:41 PM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

Which is why I asked him about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 3319 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.