1969 big block suffix codes - Chevelle Tech
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 10, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Gold Founding Member
Dale

1969 big block suffix codes

I know the late big blocks in the Chevelle in 1969 were 402cid and coded with a 3-letter suffix code as opposed to the 2-letter used on the 396 version.

Question is...did Passenger, Nova, Camaro, and/or Corvette use the early 402cid engine in 1969 and, if so, were they also a 3-letter suffix code?

In Alan Covin's book (I know it's not 100% correct all the time) he shows an asterisk by the 1969 396 engine codes but only for Chevelles and notes the change from a 2-letter to 3-letter suffix code but no such notation for the other Chevrolets in 1969.

TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* Build Sheet Data Collection
* Author:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 10, 4:06 PM
LS7
Lifetime Premium Member
John

Re: 1969 big block suffix codes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleM View Post
Question is...did Passenger, Nova, Camaro, and/or Corvette use the early 402cid engine in 1969 and, if so, were they also a 3-letter suffix code?
Pretty sure the 396/402 was not available in the 1969 Corvette.

My book (MSA-1) shows 3 letter codes (402) for Chevelle, Camaro and Nova in 1969, no 3 letter codes (402) shown for 1969 passenger car in this book.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 10, 4:12 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chevelle Doctor

I think that all 396 engines built after the summer break, somewhere along August, were 402's. The main reason that the Camaros have listings for the 402, they were built into November of 69.

THe Corvette never came with a 396/402 after the 396 425hp in 1965.

Authentication and pre-purchase inspection service still available. PM me for more information.

Still looking for that elusive 76 Nova SS.
People who have nothing better to do than b!tch about signatures need to get a life.

70 Chevelle L78/M21
10 Avalanche LT 1500 4wd
06 Equinox

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 10, 5:57 PM Thread Starter
Gold Founding Member
Dale

Doh. My bad on the Corvette in 69, 427 only.

The Camaro Research Group site (http://camaros.org) does show 3-letter suffix codes for 69 Camaros. In contrast to the MSA-1 books, the popular Nova site (http://novaresource.com) does not show 3-letter suffix codes for 69. I have a couple of MSA-1 books for trim tags and casting numbers and have found the trim tags book generally pretty good but with many details lacking or wrong. Not knocking the book but so many early books were a regurgitation of popular information that we now know is incorrect.

I just asked the Team Nova site the same thing, don't know why I didn't join and ask there before.

TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998

* Build Sheet Data Collection
* Author:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 3277 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.