1972 Chevelle 454 Stamp - Chevelle Tech
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 10, 9:07 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

1972 Chevelle 454 Stamp

Hello Everyone,

I have a 1972 Chevelle 402 car and a guy from the same town of me I have known since high school wants to purchase a 1972 454 car, supposedly numbers matching, but wants to purchase it because he likes how mine looks finished. It is a W code car and the last 8 of the vin on the engine match the last 8 on the dash. Only question is, is the engine a restamp? Everything appeared to be original, no broach marks, and didn't look like an aftermarket stamp to me, but who knows. We did have to sand the paint off and that's why it looks like smooth metal, we used 1000 grit. Engine is rebuilt, hardly driven that's why it looks so clean. I promised the guy I wouldn't reveal the critical information with the picture, and that's the only thing that concerns me. Let me know. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	091.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	34660  

Last edited by Chevelle402ss; Sep 25th, 10 at 9:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 10, 11:17 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chevelle Doctor

Re: 1972 Chevelle 454 Stamp

Well, since you covered up most of the pertinient info that we need to see, the only thing I CAN tell you, the block looks like it's not been decked to remove the numbers. I can see the broach marks clearly. Therefore, we can only speculate that it's not a restamp.

Authentication and pre-purchase inspection service still available. PM me for more information.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still looking for that elusive 76 Nova SS.
People who have nothing better to do than b!tch about signatures need to get a life.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

70 Chevelle L78/M21
10 Avalanche LT 1500 4wd
06 Equinox
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 10, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I will see if he will let me send all the information. You would not believe it, but that stamp is in june of 72 as well as our cars (well I know our build dates are in june and july of 72 from the baltimore plant, which I hardly ever see). I am having a real pain finding a place to plastic chrome my dash, do you have any suggestions? I am looking for a place in Wisconsin or nearby so I don't have to ship it since my dash has the original seat belt light and rear defog light (not reproduced). I will contact this guy tomorrow to see if he will let me send the whole picture.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 10, 2:05 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Dave,

I talked to him and he doesn't want the vin revealed for personal reasons, and believes VINs and License plate numbers shouldnt be posted. This is all he will allow. Like I said, it seems original to me. I made a mistake above by saying I couldn't see broach marks....I CAN see broach marks and CANNOT see any decking marks. Just wanted your guys' opinion before the guy I know purchases the car. By the way, the vehicle is a 4 speed bucket seat car black interior black stripes and appears to be mulsanne blue in color. It looks pretty cool.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	088.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	34693  
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 10, 4:04 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chevelle Doctor

I had a 72 that was built 07-03-72 at Balto, and the VIN was close to this one, and the engine was dated 0619. It all lines up, and the stamp looks good as do the broach marks.

On the dash, I met a guy from Wisconsin last year at the MCACN show in Chicago, he said he does it. I'll look to see if I can find his card. He specialized in Mopars....

Authentication and pre-purchase inspection service still available. PM me for more information.

Still looking for that elusive 76 Nova SS.
People who have nothing better to do than b!tch about signatures need to get a life.

70 Chevelle L78/M21
10 Avalanche LT 1500 4wd
06 Equinox
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 10, 8:00 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Dave, thanks for the reply. If you could get me his information that would be great. Most of the companies in Wisconsin are now declining the business for whatever reason. I'll tell the guy that the stamp is original.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 10, 11:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

You really need to show the engine stamp and reveale the plant and first number to get a real look. As Dave said eariler the broach marks are real from the blow up that I have here would really like to see a Macro shot of the pad.

Jim

Owner of Super Sport Sales and Service ,
Over 30 years of restoring Chevelle's for customer's Coast to Coast. Adward winning service since 1980! Frame off's to interiors,engine compartments,trunks and more ,Details make the difference! Expert LS6 L78 L34 Prepurchase Evaluation and Muscle Car locating service 302-420-4743

Last edited by DROPTOP L-89 LS-6; Oct 5th, 10 at 1:39 AM.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 10, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DROPTOP L-89 LS-6 View Post
You really need to show the engine stamp and reveale the plant and first number to get a real look. As dave said eariler the broach marks are real from the blow up that I have here would really like to see a Macro shot of the pad.

Jim
Hey Jim,

Look at the second picture I attached of the pad. It is a blown up Macro shot, showing the plant and first couple of numbers. Does that help?
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 10, 12:29 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

Thats the Real Deal !!!!!!!

Over 30 years of restoring Chevelle's for customer's Coast to Coast. Adward winning service since 1980! Frame off's to interiors,engine compartments,trunks and more ,Details make the difference! Expert LS6 L78 L34 Prepurchase Evaluation and Muscle Car locating service 302-420-4743
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 10, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Jim, That is great to know. I just saw your article, very awesome!!! I wish I had as many chevelles as you do anyway, since you're online now....could you possibly help me out with a couple of questions with my 72 Chevelle 402 car?
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 10, 1:03 AM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

Quote:
I have a 1972 Chevelle 402 car and a guy from the same town of me I have known since high school wants to purchase a 1972 454 car, supposedly numbers matching, but wants to purchase it because he likes how mine looks finished. It is a W code car and the last 8 of the vin on the engine match the last 8 on the dash. Only question is, is the engine a restamp? Everything appeared to be original, no broach marks, and didn't look like an aftermarket stamp to me, but who knows. We did have to sand the paint off and that's why it looks like smooth metal, we used 1000 grit. Engine is rebuilt, hardly driven that's why it looks so clean. I promised the guy I wouldn't reveal the critical information with the picture, and that's the only thing that concerns me. Let me know. Thanks!
Maybe it's my old eyes but it looks like the suffix code is CLA. If so it's not a 454 engine but a 402. If it's a W coded VIN, this isn't the engine that came with the car and if the sequence number on this block matches the W-coded VIN...something is wrong.

TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998

* Build Sheet Data Collection
* Author:

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 10, 1:39 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

Rutro !!! Dale your right on !!! I'm looking at the posters handle ..

Thats a 402 stick code for shure !!!!!!

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 10, 8:00 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Rutro is right Jim...I'm surprised none of us cough that earlier.

I should have caught it...I have a CLA & CTB 402s in my garage.

Here is a pic of MY 454 stamp CRX suffix.
https://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332068

don't hate me because I stuck A roller cam in my #s matching engine.

72 ss 454 "W" code,w/cowl induction (how many left?)
matching # LS5 454+.060" 9.2 :1, 2.19/1.88 valves,Comp HR cam 289/295 234/240 .613/.613 110* (dyno'd @ 557hp @ 5400 & 583tq @ 4100)
matching # M22 w/CF dual friction clutch.
Holley 750 HPs dp(82751) on Weiand Stealth & MSD Pro billet HEI
Hedman Elite headers/Flowmaster exh. (w/super 40s)
TC#3095
Garage find parked from 1978-2004

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 10, 4:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Joseph

Garage

This is a prime example of why TC is worth the $$$. The more eyes you have on a particular subject the better.

It would be interesting to see the VIN and Cowl Tag.

Joseph
TC# 5427
ACES# 7460

1972 Chevelle SS 454 LS5 "W" Code Convertible
Sequoia Green White Top and Interior

1970 Chevelle SS 396 "L78" 4 Speed Coupe
Black with Black Bucket Interior

1970 Chevelle SS 454 LS6 Coupe
Forrest Green with Green Bucket Interior

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 10, 6:51 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Ok guys that was a good catch. I called the guy I know and told him exactly what you found. He got the VIN from the vehicle and it is a U code vin, I'm not sure where the miss communication was. HOWEVER, the guy claiming to be a 454 engine is a 402. The air cleaner has a 454 sticker, but the casting numbers on the block is a 290 block. Car has SS 454 fender emblems but we know that's not correct. Sounds like the guy was thinking its a 454 matching car, or at least portraying that, even though its a 402 matching car. He must have been "talking" the car up to the guy trying to make him seem like he's purchasing the "best of the best". What I mean by that is the 454 engine in 72. Who knows. Another rare one nonetheless!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 3265 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.