1968 SS396 General Questions - Chevelle Tech
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 10, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
John

1968 SS396 General Questions

So I did the the first major cleaning of my dash metal and got a better look at this car's VIN. I was curious as to if the "flat-top" 8's I'm seeing are normal. I'm aware this is paranoia, but that 3rd 8 is awful important, after all

Anyway, the plate, rivets, surrounding metal, etc all looks fine, the number is 138378K160760 - - Am I right that the K indicates Kansas City production?

Couple more..

Some previous owner (this poor car has had so many) removed the cowl tag. I have it, it just isn't on the car. Is this any sort of legal issue or can I just keep the tag separate?

Also, the VIN on my out-of-state title is incorrect; reads "..37SK1.." Instead of "..378k1.." I haven't registered it yet, will this be a big deal to fix?

1968 SS High School Restoration
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 10, 7:05 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rocky Hill

Re: 1968 SS396 General Questions

There is nothing illegal about having or removing a cowl/trim tag, except in Oklahoma. You can even buy reproduction trim tags, and you can buy the rivets to put them back on the firewall VIN tags are a different story!

www.trimtags.com

Rocky

A Man And His Chevelle!
It's A Beautiful Thing.

TC Member #1530

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 10, 9:00 AM
Senior Tech Team
Mike

Quote:
Also, the VIN on my out-of-state title is incorrect; reads "..37SK1.." Instead of "..378k1.." I haven't registered it yet, will this be a big deal to fix?
It can be in some states.

I had that problem. In Michigan the license bureau would not make the correction when in went to title/license my out of state title without a Police inspection proving the VIN correction matched the vehicle. So I ha to get the police to come out to my location (some will not), confirm the VIN matched up to the vehicle, not to mention check me out to make sure I was who I said I was and had no "wants and warrants".

Make sure to keep copies of all purchase doc's, I had to surrender mine to the state to prove the typo error occurred prior to me purchasing it. Lots of forms to fill out. Anything shown on a title is assumed to be correct and you have to prove its not.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 10, 9:03 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevelletastic View Post
I had this same problem on a Corvette I bought years ago. In fact, as I remember, it was also an "8" and an "S". The DMV branch told me to make a tracing of the VIN plate on the car (take a piece of paper and lay it on the VIN plate and rub a pencil over it with the pencil laying almont flat) and bring it in along with the title. Make sure the "8" shows up well. I think I might have had to sign an affidavit, too. Wasn't a big deal. I'd just call your local branch and see if they will do the same.

Edit:
Hey, I must have been typing at the same time as Mike. We seem to have had very different experiences, both in Michigan. Mine did happen in about 1992. Location, even within the same state can probably make quite a difference.

'68 Chevelle- 396/TH400
'93 Corvette Ruby Red 40th Anniversary Edition
'55 Chevy 210 2-door sedan Gasser project
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 10, 9:15 AM
Senior Tech Team
Mike

It all depends on the person you deal with. At the SOS office in Baraga they handed me a form and said I need to get the police to fill it out. The officer who came out was gung ho, he took about 1 hr to satisfy himself the car was legitimate.

My problem was with 3 and 8 in the last 6 digits. An 8 was a 3 or the other way around. That was around 1993.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 3281 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.