1970 SS Chevelle Stripe Delete - Chevelle Tech
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 10, 2:21 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Marc

Garage
Post 1970 SS Chevelle Stripe Delete

Hi,

I have been into muscle cars for > 30 years now but am new to Chevelles and I have a question. I am looking at an SS454 car to purchase (hopefully) and it does not have the typical stripe. The build sheet, which appears to be authentic, does not say anything on it pertaining to the stripe (i.e. delete). I see many strip delete cars for sale and I know that they could have come that way but how should that be referenced on the build sheet? To be frank, for me the stripe is important and will affect the price I am prepared to offer however my hopes are this is not a stripe delete car (perhaps it was merely not applied during the last paint job) and I just want to know.

Thanks,

Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 10, 2:23 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Marc

Garage
Re: 1970 SS Chevelle Stripe Delete

Ok, I found this thread... does this apply equally to 1970 cars?

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278022
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 10, 3:02 PM
Senior Tech Team

There is no such thing as stripe delete. The stripes were an option, your car just didn't get them.

Maryland Chevelle Club #641 - ACES #6568

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 10, 3:25 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Marc

Garage

Ok yeah it appears that way. Hmm... not sure what to do... what is the market correction on a non-stripe (I won't use stripe delete anymore ;-) ) SS car? 5k? Or no correction... ?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 10, 3:31 PM
Senior Tech Team

I really don't think it would make much of a difference,5k difference I definitely doubt it.Way to many 70-72 chevelle's with stripes IMO,nice to see em without them
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 10, 3:31 PM
Senior Tech Team

If the price on the car is decent, and you like everything else, I wouldn't let the lack of strips discourage you. Certainly it's not a 5k deduct in value. Absolutely no one would care if you added stripes to a car that was otherwise perfectly restored to the build sheet, in my opinion. The stripes certainly add charisma to a '70-72.

Maryland Chevelle Club #641 - ACES #6568
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 10, 11:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BlueSS454

Quote:
Originally Posted by macs69 View Post
There is no such thing as stripe delete. The stripes were an option, your car just didn't get them.
Yes there is, you could opt to have the stripes deleted from the ZL2 cowl induction hood as the D88 stripes were included with RPO ZL2.

The D88 hood and deck stripes are optional on non cowl induction super sport cars. If someone checked RPO D88 on an SS car with a standard domed SS hood, stripes were added at extra cost.

Tom Rightler, MCC VP & Newsletter Editor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Best ET: [email protected] MPH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 10, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Marc

Garage

Ok, thanks for the info. The car I am looking at is a non-cowl (ZL2) car as well. I really wanted a factory cowl / stripe car but... that is probably why this one is still for sale.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 10, 12:33 AM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

As Tom noted, stripes were standard with the ZL2 hood but could be deleted. If stripes were not ordered on a non ZL2 optioned Chevelle there would be nothing on the build sheet to indicate they were not ordered. FWIW, the D88 stripes could be ordered on any Malibu sport coupe, convertible or pickup and not just SS optioned Malibus.

TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998

* Build Sheet Data Collection
* Author:

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 10, 4:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

I agree,,,,, I ordered my 70 SS 454/ M-22 El Camino. It has the standard SS Domed hood. And NO stripes.
Bob

1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 10, 8:52 PM
Lifetime Founding Member
Chuck

For a 1970 car box 44 on the build sheet tells you the UP (upper), LW (lower), ST (stripe color), and W (wheel color). If the car did not have a stripe the code under the ST will probably be a '-' dash. If it did have a stripe there will be a 'B' black or a 'W' white or it could have a color code '19' for black or '10' for white. You can go to:

http://www.chevellestuff.net/1970/bs.htm

Build sheets examples of cars with and without stripes.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 10, 12:38 AM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

Even the ZL2-optioned cars with the standard stripes will show RPO D88 in block 107 even though it wasn't really an option just like they'll all show power brakes and disc brakes since those were part of both SS options.

TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998

* Build Sheet Data Collection
* Author:

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 10, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Marc

Garage

Yes it has a dash under the ST. I am very sure now, with everyone's help, that it is a non-stripe car.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 10, 5:21 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc1 View Post
Hi,

To be frank, for me the stripe is important and will affect the price I am prepared to offer however my hopes are this is not a stripe delete car (perhaps it was merely not applied during the last paint job) and I just want to know.

Thanks,

Marc
THis discussion is interesting but all things considered there is no mention of options, original drivetrain, mileage, the quality of the REPAINT, etc. Since the car is a repaint this is merely academic. Whether it HAD strips or not will have no effect on the price. A repaint, is a repaint, is a repaint. I would focus on the other aspects of the car in establishing a value.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 10, 8:17 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Marc

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zookpr View Post
THis discussion is interesting but all things considered there is no mention of options, original drivetrain, mileage, the quality of the REPAINT, etc. Since the car is a repaint this is merely academic. Whether it HAD strips or not will have no effect on the price. A repaint, is a repaint, is a repaint. I would focus on the other aspects of the car in establishing a value.
It is not quite academic for me... the reason being is I do not really want a non-stripe car so that will affect what I will want to pay for it. I know I can put stripes on it and I have no disrespect for people who do that but I won't. So I have to ask myself what will I be willing to offer in exchange for a no stripe car and having something not exactly perfect for me. If, as you allude to, the market doesn't distinguish a price so be it... however I still do for what I will pay for a factory stripe car vs. non stripe.

As for not asking the other details (options, born with drivetrain, mileage etc.) I understand all those things very well so I didn't need to
post anything or inquire on that. I just didn't understand the stripe system / RPO D88 / ZL2 consideration / Box 44 etc. for 1970 SS cars but now I do :-).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 3277 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.