69 Deluxe Help - Chevelle Tech
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 10, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Victor

69 Deluxe Help

Hey, I'm new to the forum.
I had a 68 chevelle back in High School. I just recently lost my job at the old GM Plant where they use to make 69 Chevelles.
Since I have time on my hands, I've been looking for a project car.

I didnt' realize how many different types of 69 chevelles there were. lol

Any way, I just found a chevelle and the cowl tag is;

69 13427 BF 00320

My investigations leads me to believe that this is a Chevelle Deluxe, V8, Post Car.
I was never really interested in the Deluxe Post Model until I started reading about them today. It seems that GM only made a little over 7000 of them with a V8.
I forgot to mention, this car is an automatic, but it still has the clutch pedal in it.

My question to you guys is;
1. Is this a rare car?
2. How can I tell if it's a real manual vehicle?
3. Is my understanding of the cowl tag correct.

Thanks in advance for all of your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 10, 12:55 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan <> TC #4690

Send a message via Skype™ to 1969 El Camino Dan
Re: 69 Deluxe Help

Welcome to Team Chevelle, Victor.
Yes, 13427 would indicate a V8 engine in a 2 door post body.
5,620 300 DeLuxe 2 door post cars were made with the V8 body designation. It is estimated about 1400 were SS 396 cars. That would leave around 4220 - that is pretty rare - but of course, much less desirable than the SS cars. Still, they are more rare tan 6 cyl versions of the 300 DeLuxe post cars.
The 307 2bbl was the standard engine, other V8 engines were available as options.
Check on the frame - drivers side across from the rear of the engine for the welded on bracket that the "Z bar" cross-shaft would be attached to for the clutch mechanism.
Is there parts from the shifter left on the steering column?
What style seat is in it?

Dan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<== linky - SS 350 Phantom - originally Azure turquoise/white top/black buckets.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<== linky - Canadian import 307 Powerglide. Working on 454 4 sp w/ OD to liven it up
My progress blog here on T/C:

TC #4690 ACES #8465

Last edited by 1969 El Camino Dan; Sep 17th, 10 at 1:21 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 10, 5:27 AM
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969 El Camino Dan View Post

What style seat is in it?

Dan
A bench seat was all that was available in a '69 300 Deluxe. Buckets were not an available option. Probably because the seat upholstery (and door panels) were different on 300 Dlx's and they didn't want to make a few buckets with 300 Dlx upholstery, or put Malibu upholstery rear seats in 300 Dlx's.

von '69 Malibu Team Chevelle Member #15
[img]

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 10, 7:02 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Andy

Besure to check the VIN if it is not 3427 in the vin it may be a six cylinder car. The vin may be 3327....I have seen several like this. take care Andy

Andy
1969 Baltimore SS Chevelle
1969 Trim Tag Research (Ongoing)
More 1969 Chevelle data needed submit your info today

Information Security enforced
TC# 3135
ACES# 08305
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 10, 7:41 AM
Senior Tech Team
Mike

Correct, the trim tag model designation cannot be used to determine if he car was a V8 or 6 cyl car.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 10, 8:05 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Andy

Victor, I checked my list and have no data for the body number you list. The tag info you list indicates an early chevelle for the Fremont assembly plant. The body numbers at that plant are run in sequence by body style, so the BF00320 means your's is likely an 11 (Nov 68), possibly B (second week) or C (third week) body, VIN range 315XXX-317XXX. Likely schedule 65 to 67, the first two numbers of the second six digit number after the build code. I have a few of the 3327 VIN cars listed but do not have trim tag date for them. I have one 3427 listed but it is a 07 build car late in the 1969 build year and again I have no trim tag data for it (note the numbers mentioned are based on data I have collected). I would like to add the complete data for your's if you wouldn't mind, the data and VIN can be sent via email or PM. take it easy Andy

Andy
1969 Baltimore SS Chevelle
1969 Trim Tag Research (Ongoing)
More 1969 Chevelle data needed submit your info today

Information Security enforced
TC# 3135
ACES# 08305
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 10, 10:40 AM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor69 View Post
Any way, I just found a chevelle and the cowl tag is;

69 13427 BF 00320

My investigations leads me to believe that this is a Chevelle Deluxe, V8, Post Car.
I was never really interested in the Deluxe Post Model until I started reading about them today. It seems that GM only made a little over 7000 of them with a V8.

I forgot to mention, this car is an automatic, but it still has the clutch pedal in it.

My question to you guys is;
1. Is this a rare car?
2. How can I tell if it's a real manual vehicle?
3. Is my understanding of the cowl tag correct.
Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Chevrolet's Accumulative Production report for the 1969 model year shows 8,238 13327 L6 300 Deluxe 2-dr sedans and 5,620 13427 V8 300 Deluxe 2-dr sedans built. http://chevellestuff.net/1969/style_prod_no.htm

1. Rare is a subjective term. The 300 Deluxe 2-dr sedans (both L6 and V8) were 2.75% of 1969 Chevelles but there were 12 other series/models built in 1969 with fewer production numbers. There were certainly fewer V8 300 Deluxe 2-dr sedans built than V8 300 Deluxe sport coupes (5620 vs. 7181) and way fewer than V8 Malibu sport coupes (286,162).

2. I'm surmising here but since it could not have a console (hence the possibility of an automatic with floor shift) the instrument cluster would have the shift pattern if it was an automatic and no shift pattern if it was a manual.

3. No, as others have stated. The Fisher Body style number has nothing to do with the GM VIN series/model designation.

TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998

* Build Sheet Data Collection
* Author:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 3284 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.