help with 69 SS396 tag - Chevelle Tech
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 10, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Mike

Send a message via Yahoo to gothabillie
help with 69 SS396 tag

just got this 69 chevelle & it seems to have all SS396 parts & i no from tag theres no way to tell if its real but am wondering what color & such this was when new

ST69 13637 KAN295128BDY

765 BDY 71

04D 07791 BENT
L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 10, 3:38 PM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

Re: help with 69 SS396 tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothabillie View Post
just got this 69 chevelle & it seems to have all SS396 parts & i no from tag theres no way to tell if its real but am wondering what color & such this was when new

ST69 13637 KAN295128BDY

765 BDY 71

04D 07791 BENT
L
Hard to post online and get things to align properly.

ST69 13637 - Style 1969 Malibu sport coupe
KAN - Kansas City, MO. final assembly plant
295128 BDY - Fisher Body data processing number
(TR) 765 - Metallic Dark Blue Coated Frabric bucket seats
71 ? - Lower body color paint code is listed first followed by the top color; 71 is Le Mans blue but should have another 71 behind it if it doesn't have a vinyl top or a letter if it does have a vinyl top. See my page at http://chevellestuff.com/1969/paint.htm for more. BENT on next line could be B PNT where the B indicates a black vinyl top and PNT is short for Paint - like 71 B PNT.
04D - body date, April 4th week
07791 -The last part of the DP Sequence Number from Box 24 on the build sheet and/or IDENT number found on BODY BROADCAST COPY sheet and of no real significance today.
L - Speculation is this "L" indicates an SS-optioned Chevelle but no proof to date this is true. It does appear on every Monaco Orange and Daytona Yellow painted cars and those two colors were only available as color choices on SS-optioned Chevelles. This is actively being researched. There is one Kansas City tag (01E) of a non-SS Malibu with this "L" on the Kansas City trim tag page. One reader says he has a 69 SS from Kansas City without the "L" but no photographic proof was offered. There is one I have that is a verified SS and the trim tag does NOT have this letter "L". Whether these are anomalies or proof the "L" does not mean an SS-optioned Chevelle, I'll leave up to the reader.

TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* Build Sheet Data Collection
* Author:

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 10, 4:43 PM Thread Starter
Mike

Send a message via Yahoo to gothabillie

thanks for the help was gussing it was a real SS as it has all the goodies but nice to know buckets were factory also now to get a SS hood for it to replace the fiblerglass cowl one it has now

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 1st, 10, 2:37 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan <> TC #4690

Send a message via Skype™ to 1969 El Camino Dan

Get that digital camera to work!
We love pics! I would especially like to see the fabric bucket seats!

Dan
a '69 aficionado...

<== linky - SS 350 Phantom - originally Azure turquoise/white top/black buckets.

<== linky - Canadian import 307 Powerglide. Working on 454 4 sp w/ OD to liven it up
My progress blog here on T/C:

TC #4690 ACES #8465
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 1st, 10, 2:43 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

Dale...

I liked the way you posted that info...

I remember a few years ago there was an ebay auction that boasted the "L" meant "SS" and they posted a link to TC and the thread that discussed it...

New oil is cheaper than new parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 3579 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.