strange '66 V.I.N. - Chevelle Tech
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 10, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

strange '66 V.I.N.

A longtime friend of mine called me yesterday and said he's found a couple of old '66 chevelles that have been sitting for quite some time. They are rough, one is a malibu and the other is an SS. Here's what has us both stumped, the v.i.n. on the door jamb of the SS reads: 138GAS/427. We have both owned and been around chevelles for years and have never seen anything like this. He said he was pretty sure the tag still had the rosette rivits and appeared to be original. He also stated that the letters "GAS" were slightly larger than the numerals. The car has no drivetrain, it has what looks to be part of the SS396 emblem on the rear panel but has 427 emblems on the fenders, as we all know they could have easily been changed at some point. The owner said that it did have some type of "special" rearend with some form of traction bars but it had been stolen at some point. There again, probably just the 12 bolt with aftermarket ladder bars of some sort. I told him I'd see if I could find any information and in the meantime he's going to go back and do some more looking and possibly take some pictures, if anyone has any information I'd appreciate it, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 10, 2:30 PM
Senior Tech Team
Mike

Re: strange '66 V.I.N.

A pic would help a lot with something like this.

If the car was stolen and later recovered it might have had to be assigned a state vin of some kind be it salvage or whatever to be legally sold.

Chevy did not build any 66 Chevelle SS427's so it cannot be an original car. Management prohibited engines larger than 400 cid in A-Body car till the 1970 model year.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 10, 3:03 PM Thread Starter

That's a possibility however all state issued vin's that I have ever seen includes the name of the state that issued the tag, and this tag appears to have not ever been changed. The forward slash seems out of character as well. I know that there were no '66 427 production cars and that '69 was the first year for the 427 COPO, my guess is the 427 emblems came from a donor car such as an Impala that probably gave up it's engine as well. The emblems are easy to change and don't mean anything, it's the vin that has me stumped. I'm sure the "427" in the vin is purely sequential and has nothing to do with engine displacement, I had a '68 SS396 who's vin ended with "396", some people actually thought that indicated the engine size and knew nothing about the 138 prefix. I hope to have pictures soon. Thanks

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 10, 3:14 PM
Team Member
Mike Crown

Sounds Hokie to me. Nobody can really comment without seeing good clear photo of the vin and trim tags.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 10, 3:27 PM Thread Starter

I don't think a picture will really reveal anymore information than I have but I will post one as soon as I get it. I just learned of this last night and haven't had time to follow up, but as stated I will try to get a photo as soon as one of us can get back to the car. I was only asking for any usable information if anyone has heard of something like this or had any thoughts. Thanks

Last edited by victorallen; Apr 28th, 10 at 3:54 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 10, 5:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorallen View Post
I don't think a picture will really reveal anymore information than I have but I will post one as soon as I get it. I just learned of this last night and haven't had time to follow up, but as stated I will try to get a photo as soon as one of us can get back to the car. I was only asking for any usable information if anyone has heard of something like this or had any thoughts. Thanks
A photo will allow more eyes to see if something looks out of place...

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the Feds require 13-digit VIN #s?

Perhaps, it was something like a "body-in-white"? A real racecar "shell"? Still doesn't make sense that it would have the "138" and yet not have at least the "176" that follows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorallen
He said he was pretty sure the tag still had the rosette rivits and appeared to be original.
I think there's also a possibility that perhaps someone was trying to "create" something, maybe 20 years ago... As far back as the 1980's, I remember meeting someone that had a blank VIN tag and rivets (they were selling some other Chevelle parts, but not the tags)...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 3585 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.