67 canadian decoding help - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 10, 12:33 AM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

Re: 67 canadian decoding help

Hmm, the body tag indicates that the body was completed May 23. It also appears that it has A51, but no D55. Early in the run (up to about the 3rd week of November we are finding) A51 without D55 still meant the car came with a console AND Malibu SS badging & trim even with the six; after that if a console was desired it was a separately priced option and D55 would appear on the trim tag. Does your car have a console now? Is there evidence of having a column shifted Powerglide in the past?

FYI in Canada D99 is the RPO for 2-tone moldings; they were $9.25 by themselves or $19.05 total for 2-tone paint which included the moldings (the paint code showed whether it was 2-tone paint or not).

"The more you know,
the more you realize there is that you don't know." - Dad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TC Gold #120

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 10, 9:29 AM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
FYI in Canada D99 is the RPO for 2-tone moldings; they were $9.25 by themselves or $19.05 total for 2-tone paint which included the moldings (the paint code showed whether it was 2-tone paint or not).
I'll have to revise my data on that. Just so I understand, D99 didn't mean two-tone paint, it only meant the moldings themselves? So someone could order the molding on a single paint colored car? Was the D99 also shown on vinyl top cars since those required the molding as well? Could a two-tone paint combination be ordered without the moldings?

{Edit}Two other questions -
1. Would the same be true for the 66 Malibu sport coupes as far as the molding being the D99 option?

2. Does the same D99 apply to 4-door models as well with either two-tone paint or vinyl top?

TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998

* Build Sheet Data Collection
* Author:

Last edited by DaleM; Apr 29th, 10 at 9:59 AM.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 10, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
tony

i dont believe it had a console i have a collum shift and no evidence uner the rug of anywere to mount the console. tho i am not fimilar with how they mount. but i dont believe it had one. but does have the red buckets up front

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 10, 12:59 PM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

If it has a column shift it definately didn't have a console. Is the Powerglide shift pattern on the dash cluster face and does it have a clock in the cluster?

* Author:

post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 10, 1:36 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
tony

yea the power glide pattern is on the dash and the clock is in the cluster. i still have the powerglide(not in the car) but the six was takin out in the 90s and is long gone. not that its much but would have been kinda cool to have it all.
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 10, 1:41 PM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

The shift pattern and clock are a sure indication it didn't have a console - unless someone also replaced the entire cluster somewhere along the way. If it did have a console at one time, there'd be a hole in the transmission hump (could be filled but it'd be apparent from underneath) and there'd be evidence of mounting brackets that could have been cut off as well. I'd guess it didn't come with a console for some reason, though.

* Author:

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 10, 1:47 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
tony

yea there's no evidence of a console so idk y it would say it?
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 10, 1:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Curt

Very cool car.

TC #5238
AACA #994801

70 Chevelle SS LS6
M22 37K original miles
Cortez Silver
Arlington build

69 Camaro mod ZL1
T6060
4100 original mile 6 cyl car
Now with a Detroit Speed
sponsored makeover
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 10, 2:27 PM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

All the evidence follows that the car was built later in the run and was not a Malibu SS; rather it was a bucket seat Malibu w/o a console.

Dale, in the U.S. D99 meant 2-tone paint. In Canada D99 meant 2-tone moldings, the paint code code would determine whether 2-tone paint was actually specified.
It's true that the D99 moldings were included with the C08 vinyl roof but D99 never appeared on the tag or window sticker; the vinyl roof would not be installed without them. As for a car with 2-tone paint without the moldings, that is an interesting question. Perhaps a fleet order or COPO order with a special paint job might have been made without the moldings but I have never seen or heard of any such instance.

"The more you know,

TC Gold #120

post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 10, 9:35 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
tony

well my car(the red one) had moldings on it at one point. i know the holes are ther just covered by bondo ha.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old May 7th, 10, 11:15 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ethan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanlee411 View Post
I've seen documentation on numerous Canadian 1967 Chevelles & Beaumonts with 2-tone combinations unheard of in the U.S. Lots of them.

If it is a Canadian-built Chevelle then the trim tag will have option codes on the trim tag. Mind you, not all option codes are listed, just the ones that were needed to give Fisher Body a heads up for any body modifications at their end. You won't see a code for an optional six, but you would for a 396 big block, or an M35 or M20 trandmission. You won't see an option code for an optional AM radio or H.D. suspension, but you would find one for bucket seats (A51) & console (D55), or the Malibu SS option (A51, includes console but D55 wasn't listed; depends when in the year it was built). I've also seen a surprising number of cars with the D99 2-tone moldings that were never 2-tone. It seemed to be a Canadian thing.

Another thing, on a Canadian-built '67, RA is definitely Bolero Red with a Tuxedo Black painted roof. If it were a factory black vinyl roof car the paint code would be RR and would also say TOP 27 (for black)
Actually, I think RR would mean Bolero Red for both upper/lower.

Ethan

1972 Chevelle
(oo________oo)
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old May 7th, 10, 11:25 PM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

While I don't have an Oshawa-built 67 with a vinyl top tag I do have three convertible tags and the paint codes are shown as 2 letters of the lower color, LL in one case, DD in another and YY in another. The last line with RPO codes shows the convertible top color; TOP02 on one, TP2 on another, and TP02 on a third one.

I would imagine any vinyl topped Chevelle would follow the same schema but maybe not.

* Author:

post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old May 8th, 10, 9:53 AM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleM View Post
While I don't have an Oshawa-built 67 with a vinyl top tag I do have three convertible tags and the paint codes are shown as 2 letters of the lower color, LL in one case, DD in another and YY in another. The last line with RPO codes shows the convertible top color; TOP02 on one, TP2 on another, and TP02 on a third one.

I would imagine any vinyl topped Chevelle would follow the same schema but maybe not.
X2 on that Dale. FYI, on Canadian Chevelles & Beaumonts with a C08 vinyl top, black = TP27, beige (off white) = TP29.

Convertible tops colours are black = TP02, white = TP10, blue = TP12

"The more you know,

TC Gold #120

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 3676 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.