Block, Trans VIN match? - Chevelle Tech
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 09, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Pat

Block, Trans VIN match?

Hi all,

I have a Baltimore built 67 L79 Malibu and have started restoration. The partial VIN on the block and M21 match number wise but they are different font styles. I'm an old hand on Camaro's and they match font styles between block and tranny so I'm wonderin and learnin

I'm very excited about my 67 Chevelle.....been wanting one for a long time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 09, 9:06 AM
Team Member
Mike Crown

Re: Block, Trans VIN match?

Pat

Can you be more specific.. when you say Partial VIN.. exactly what is stamped on the pad? ie., no assembly date but the serial number is there???

and exactly what is stamped on the trans and where?

You could always post the photos, that might be more helpful.

One has to assume you are questioning whether you have a Legit numbers matching chevelle that you already purchased and are not thinking of purchasing... so I guess it is just a curiosity at this point.

MC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 09, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Pat

Here's the partial VIN stamped on the block pad along with the assembly date and engine suffix code. I already own the car for better or worse
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1967 chevelle EP.jpg
Views:	1999
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	22651  

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 09, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Pat

My question is if the font and style of the partial vin on the block should be the same as that on the M21 transmission? They used the same gang holder for the partial vin on camaro's and stamped both the block and tranny at the same time. The partial vin's on this malibu are obviously two different styles and font between the two components.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1967 chevelle M21 vin.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	22652  
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 09, 3:09 PM
Team Member
Mike Crown

Yes, I agree, they do look different. Can I ask... did you buy the car without seeing/verifying them first? again, just curious.. not judging or criticizing.

post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 09, 4:12 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Pat

I checked the block assembly stamp and the M21 assembly stamp against the POP included with the car. I did'nt see a partial vin on the M21 untill it was removed. I was satisfied with the block stamp. I've found little to no specific 1967 L79 information through search's here or anywhere else? No detailed L79 examples either. From what I did find it was not conclusive that the L79 was even partial vin stamped at all? I'm satisfied with the car regardless and welcome any judgement or personal opinions. Someone has to know if 67 Baltimore built cars have matching font partial vin components and the normal location of such? What about the SS 396's ??
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1967 chevelle pop.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	22661   Click image for larger version

Name:	1967 chevelle full paperwork.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	22662   Click image for larger version

Name:	1967 chevelle cowl tag.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	22663  

Last edited by 36j1967; Aug 14th, 09 at 4:16 PM. Reason: attachment
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 09, 4:29 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

The engine stamps look pretty good to me. It is normal and expected for an L79 to have both a partial VIN and engine number stamped into the pad regardless of the assembly plant.

Not that it helps much, but the fonts used to stamp the partial VIN on the transmission in my '65 L79 car doesn't really match the fonts of the partial VIN on the engine (the sizes are different too) and my car's history is pretty well known and documented.

As long as the partial VIN on the engine and transmission match the VIN of the car, I'd say you have a good numbers matching situation there unless there are any reasons to believe otherwise.

I have a friend with three really great '67 L79 cars and I have photos of all of them. Let me know if I can help with information. I've had a strong interest in L79 Chevelles for nearly 3 decades now.

The 396 cars definitely used a partial VIN on the engine, don't know about the fonts on the engine and transmission matching though.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 09, 4:34 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Pat

The only changes seem to be the carb and shifter lever. I have them loose with the car. It seemed pretty original and the previous owner had it since March of 1969.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1967 chevelle engine bay 1.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	22664   Click image for larger version

Name:	1967 chevelle front bench.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	22665   Click image for larger version

Name:	1967 chevelle dash.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	22666   Click image for larger version

Name:	1967 chevelle full body.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	22667  

post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 09, 4:36 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

Have we already swapped e-mails about the car? It looks like a really great find.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 09, 4:45 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Pat

Is the partial vin location on the tranny where it should be expected to be located?
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 09, 4:50 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36j1967 View Post
Is the partial vin location on the tranny where it should be expected to be located?
Looks to be in the correct spot to me. Later models had the stamping elsewhere, but that looks correct for an earlier (64-67) car.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 09, 4:51 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-L79 View Post
Have we already swapped e-mails about the car? It looks like a really great find.
Yes, last week or so I sent you a couple photos and said I would be posting on the forum shortly. If anyone has any requests for detailed information let me know. I will be photo documenting and bag and tagging as we go along with the cleanup and restoration. I won't be taking anything off that I dont intend to put right back on after its cleaned inspected and tested. I like a clean original look.
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 09, 5:55 PM
Team Member
Mike Crown

Pat

Is that Trans stamp on top? I think it is...

I can tell you that some plants.. Like Kansas and Fremont Definitely stamped VIN on Top of case for SS 66/67. I can't say that I have seen any Baltimore cars with Trans Stamp on top of case vs on side of case.. but then I have not seen every 67 assembled at Baltimore

as a side note for future readers and I think Rich would agree... it is not common practice for small block 66/67's to have a partial VIN stamped on deck pad... but it is expected on what it is considered High Perf. small block cars.. like the L-79's. I would have been more concerned if the deck stamp didn't have the VIN.

Me personally, I don't believe all plants used the same Stamp on the Trans as they did on the Block...but I am sure you welcome others to give input beyond Rich and I.

Grenada Gold is nice color!

Enjoy the car!

post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 09, 7:32 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

First, Congrats on finding a GREAT CAR!!! You are a lucky man to find a 67 L79 that is that unmolested and well documented. Is it the original paint?

Second, the stamps, locations and broach marks look 100% Legit to me. To the extent the stamps are not identical, that is common. 65 and 66 Kansas cars used a much taller font on the trans than on the block (havenít found an original unrestored 67 Kansas car to check yet). Some 66 Fremont cars are the same way. I went out and checked my 66 Baltimore car and it has the same style and size characters on the block as your block (I havenít put it on the lift to try to see the trans stamp on it yet). And I have a 67 Baltimore L-78 block that has the exact same style and size VIN characters as your block.

Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I had understood that Baltimore had more than one assembly line running simultaneously, so there would have been multiple sets of stamps in that plant anyway. I'm sure they didn't throw away an entire set of dies every time one digit wore out, so individual dies would logically have been replaced at various different times, and could have been with different fonts. And there is no question that differing dies have been seen even within a single stamping on many documented original blocks. For example, look at the two adjacent 2's in the pic of your engine assembly date stamp (one wide, one skinny). That was of course done at the engine plant, but it makes the point all the same.

It is correct that all L79ís should be VIN-stamped regardless of assembly plant. (Every Chevelle engine 327-300HP or higher was supposed to be VIN-stamped at every plant. I have heard that by 1967 even low-po V8ís were supposed to be VIN stamped, but Iíve never checked a 67 283 or low-horse 327 to see if that is true or not.)

I am also a firm believer in the "common sense" factor. If your trans vin was only uncovered after your removed the trans from the car, and it was covered in dirt before you wiped it off (as it looks like was the case in the pic), and if all the bolts were cruddy, then I wouldn't be too worried about it!! Decades of grease and dirt accumulation just cannot be duplicated to fool someone who performs a careful personal inspection of a car (as long as that someone has any meaningful experience with an old greasy car)!

So I don't think you have anything to be worried about as long as everything else (casting dates and #'s) checks out. Especially when you have matching documentation as you appear to have! Jeff

Jeff Helms
-65 Z16 Survivor (Red/black/white int.) (
)
-65 Z16 drag car, unrestored (Red/Red)
-65 SS Convertible (Red)
-65 300 2-dr Wagon, Modified (Tuxedo Black)

-66 SS L78 Coupe (Marina Blue), unrestored
-66 SS L34/M20 Survivor Coupe (Aztec Bronze) - 'Vintage Legend' Certified (
)
-66 SS Convertible (Marina Blue)- "LOADED"

-67 SS L78 Survivor Coupe (Grenada Gold)
-67 SS L34/M21 Survivor Coupe (Tahoe Turquoise)
-67 SS L34/M20 Convertible (Bolero Red)
-67 ElCamino L35/M20 (Butternut Yellow)
-67 Concours Station Wagon (Mountain Green)

-67 Camaro SS350 Survivor (Grenada Gold)- 'Vintage Legend' Certified by the American Camaro Association
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 09, 8:36 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

Here's something to shoot for during your restoration!

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 3245 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.