ZL3 Option - SS396 Convers - Chevelle Tech
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 04, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Ron

Does anybody elese have the option ZL3 SS396 Convers on their build sheet? I am trying to figure out when they started this code and if it was only at certain plants. Mine is a Baltimore built car.

Thanks

70 SS 28/28 Fathom Blue, Pearl Stripes
Baltimore built, Build Date 0103
402 4 speed w/AC, M21, 3.31 w/build sheet.
Before -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

After -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 04, 2:11 PM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

From samples of '70 build sheets I have that have the =ZL3 option and that I can read the dates:
Baltimore ~ 10-23 and 11-10
Van Nuys ~ 09-22
Atlanta ~ 11-26, 12-08, 02-19, 03-04 and 03-17
Kansas City ~ 05-01

I would ascertain it's a GM code (not plant specific) and used probably throughout the production year, i.e. 09-22 for Van Nuys to 05-01 at KC.

TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998

* Build Sheet Data Collection
* Author:

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 04, 5:35 PM
KAA
Senior Tech Team
Keith

I have ZL3 SS 396 CONV on my buildsheet.

Kansas built 70 El Camino SS
09-24 schedule date (1969)

Keith

'70 El Camino SS 396 L78

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 04, 6:59 PM
Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Resq302
Just curious since my build sheet has the ZL3 SS 396 Conv. What is it exactly? As soon as I can try and figure out what my sched. no. date is I will let everyone know but my final assembly date is 4th week in April.

Brian
Morris County, NJ

El Camino----The ORIGINAL Sport Utility Vehicle !

-1970 El Camino SS 396 (true SS, highly optioned car) AACA Senior Gold Winner (Hershey 2005) , 2006 Concours d'Elegance Star Award winner
-1969 Dodge Charger HP 383 ci. 4 spd AACA Senior National Winner (Herhey 2007)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 04, 12:23 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dave

My '69, a BAL car has both on the build sheet. Its a 1st week of July '69 car.

Dave Bradley
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 04, 1:57 PM

I've been looking at some posts. Could the ZL3 be for a convertible top and not an SS conversion? I’ll look in my big ole book of RPOs Monday if I get the chance.

Mark “Still Looking For An SS So Let Me Know If You Are Selling” [img]graemlins/waving.gif[/img]
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 04, 4:06 PM
Senior Tech Team
Mike

Quote:
Originally posted by ChevelleSSWanabe:
I've been looking at some posts. Could the ZL3 be for a convertible top and not an SS conversion? I’ll look in my big ole book of RPOs Monday if I get the chance.

Mark “Still Looking For An SS So Let Me Know If You Are Selling” [img]graemlins/waving.gif[/img]
No, the ZL3 was the code to convert the body to accept the SS option. No more, no less.

The RPO list says

ZL3 - SS conversion

If that code was not there, the car would come out as a Malibu. Option codes like this contained parts lists and instuctions to plant personel as to how to built that option into the car. Fisher body's work was listed in the ZL3 instructions, Z15 and Z25 were instructions and parts for the Chevy lines.

Z25 and Z15 were the sales option package referring the the specific engine, ZL3 was the SS option code.

I know that not all the plants showed this but that just how unorganized the system was. Each plant had their method to their madness.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 04, 10:33 PM
Tech Team

My build sheet says =ZL3 SS 396 CONVERSN
It is 1st week October 69, the 25533 Chevelle built for the 1970 model year. There is a separate option listed for L-34, so I assume that L-78 could be a ZL3 also, but correct me if I'm wrong. F41 suspension and power disk brakes were also listed as a separate option.

I always thought that the ZL3 was for picky buyers who ordered an SS with what they wanted. Mine was at the dealer for only a few days from the build sheet after the nit-picky buyer started bringing it in for smearing wipers and wind noise around the driver door. There were a lot of problems with this car, so you'd think it was a lemon, but simple things like 3 clutches in the first 42k miles, and a noisy lifter, rebuilt rochester carb, etc. I think that in 1970 people tried to melt the engines, tires, clutches, etc. just to race the geezus out of them.

The M20 never had a problem, and it still shifts great after only one rebuild. 35 years later, only 132k miles!
[img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 04, 4:48 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Keith

Garage
ZL3 shows up on '69 Novas and Camaros as well. I think that it refers to all the bits and pieces that make up the SS package (hood, trim, wheels, etc). Could be wrong though.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 08, 4:05 PM
Senior Tech Team
Frank Riley

Re: ZL3 Option - SS396 Convers

My early 1970 Atlanta built SS396 Coupe build sheet lists the "ZL3" SS 396 Conversion RPO.

70-454 LS5

Greater Kansas City
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 4256 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.