need help on engine parts DATES? - Chevelle Tech
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 04, 6:21 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Marty

I an looking for someone or more than one who owns a original SS with the original,distributor,alternator,starter,carb, etc. or any of the parts which you know are original how far are the dates from the engine assembly date or the build date of the car I know it is commonly accepted 1 to 3 months prior to the build date of the car would be correct but I was wondering what was the actual case at the assembly plant? I have a 1970 Ss chevelle 396 the starter, alt. and water pump have the same date about a month and a half prior to the build date of the car thanks in advance, Marty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 04, 8:10 AM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone still having the original alternator, starter, or other electrical pieces or some mechanical like water pumps. Number correct and date correct, yes. If you search cores (or rebuilt parts), you can find the numbers and dates. But finding a 30-35 year old alternator or starter that hasn't been replaced...unless it's been stored for 20-25 of those years. I don't think the 60's and 70's had 'seen the light' of parts on demand like we do today.

I have protect-o-plates on many years and it's not uncommon to see a couple of months or more between major parts and final assembly. Example, a 70 Chevelle with an October 16 rear end, December 8 transmission, December 17 engine, and final assembly in January.

I would say that any components dated up to 2 months before the cast parts (heads, block, water pump, etc) would be acceptable. I don't really know if there are any 'rules' per se, but certainly everyone on the restoration side of the aisle would have a time frame they'd accept. You might try posting in the Restoration Corner forum, lots of 'orginal' people over there. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* Build Sheet Data Collection
* Author:

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 04, 7:31 PM
Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Resq302
My 70 El Camino Ss 396 has the original stuff with the exception of the starter. The final assembly date is the 4th week of April with the furthest thing from the final build date is the rear axle being assembled Feb. 20 of 1970. The alternator, distirbutor, and wiper motor all have build dates between early Mar. and mid April. My elky was found in someones garage and was only a sunday driver with 44,500 original miles on it. [img]graemlins/hurray.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img] Lucky find on my part as it is all virgin metal.

Brian
Morris County, NJ

El Camino----The ORIGINAL Sport Utility Vehicle !

-1970 El Camino SS 396 (true SS, highly optioned car) AACA Senior Gold Winner (Hershey 2005) , 2006 Concours d'Elegance Star Award winner
-1969 Dodge Charger HP 383 ci. 4 spd AACA Senior National Winner (Herhey 2007)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 6056 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.