'69 396 casting number?? - Chevelle Tech
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old May 30th, 08, 8:32 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Michael

'69 396 casting number??

Is it supposed to be 3955272 or 3969854 or either?

Did most of them get built with the 3955272?

I assume both blocks could be machined with either 2 or 4 bolt mains?

Thanks,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old May 30th, 08, 10:20 PM
Tech Team
Mike

Re: '69 396 casting number??

Depends on the Date the car was Built. Most likely a 272.
Mike

Mike Bond
ACES Charter Member #99
69 Chevelle SS396 Fathom Green
69 El-Camino SS 396 Black
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old May 30th, 08, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Michael

Third week of June, 1969.

Thanks!
Mike

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old May 31st, 08, 1:21 AM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

Early model year would have been the 272, 854 block was late (402) and used in 70-72 as well. The 272 came in 2-bolt and 4-bolt mains and the 854 was 2- or 4-bolt mains only in 1970 - according to Calvin's book.

Provisions for oil cooler is easy way to tell if 2- or 4-bolt main if engine is still in the car.

TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* Build Sheet Data Collection
* Author:

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old May 31st, 08, 3:23 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jason

Send a message via Yahoo to 136679ss

Not all 854's are 402's my friend.

TC#2693
Aces# 7467
Heart of Dixie CC
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old May 31st, 08, 8:47 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Michael

Ok, dumb question - is June of '69 late in the model year? I know the model year went late due to a strike right?

I have seen 272 blocks cast as late as June, so I would think they could have been used that late, how about the 854's that early? Was there a firm breakpoint for the change, or a mix during a period of time?

Thanks - you guys are usually a the best place for the answers!

Mike
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old May 31st, 08, 8:56 AM
Senior Tech Team
Mike

June is late, but they built into July....The only model year car to run late is the 69 Camaro but not because of any strike. There was a delay in getting the sheet metal plants converted over to the new sheet metal fabrication, normal production problems so they continued to built 69 Camaro into Nov and then released the 70 in late December.

Never heard of any strike in 1969. Model year did not run late, ended in July (typical).

GM production in the U.S. is stopped by a 10-week UAW strike, beginning on September 15 and ending on November 20.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old May 31st, 08, 4:20 PM
Tech Team

Garage

It would be a #272 block. I have one cast F-20-9 (June 20th, 1969) deck stamp is TO626JC (June 26th, 1969 Chevelle 350HP 4speed).

67 Chevelle SS Marina Blue
66 Malibu (soon to be SS 375HP clone)
67SS Royal Plum original paint
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 08, 10:12 PM
Tech Team
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by qzjrd5 View Post
Ok, dumb question - is June of '69 late in the model year? I know the model year went late due to a strike right?

I have seen 272 blocks cast as late as June, so I would think they could have been used that late, how about the 854's that early? Was there a firm breakpoint for the change, or a mix during a period of time?

Thanks - you guys are usually a the best place for the answers!

Mike

I agree with other posters that June was probably the last of the #272 Blocks. I also have in my possesion, an #854 with a date of G-2-9 (July 2nd), roughly 12 days from the earlier post of June 20th #272 Block. The one I have has a Norwood Rear stamp Camaro VIN. It has been surfaced, so I cannot tell the stamp. It has been my experience that when an #854 block is used in a late 69 Chevelle, it has always been a July car, and has always had the three letter suffix, such as CJD, instead of JD, which means it was a 402 bore engine. It is possible that some early #854 blocks were used as 396 bore, but the reason for the casting number change was to allow for the 402 bore size.

Jeff Dotterer
Dated Components
Diamond Restored Judge
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 08, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Michael

Thank you very much for all the responses.

My car does not have the original engine.

I am looking to put together or purchase an L78 for my car, which according to the research I have done on the car it seems to be an original L78 car. It has the single 3/8 fuel line and sender, original M21 trans, but no build sheets/tank sticker. I have owned the car for 20 years, and I am 99% sure no one ever tampered with the rusty fuel line.

I realize without the documentation I will never 100% prove it however.

I have a line on an AUG69 build 3969854 L78 CE code engine. In your opinions, is there any more or less value in putting this CE block in vs. putting in a 3955272, JAN-JUN casting date, JD coded block?

Give me your opinions please. I do not really want to buy a motor and stamp it with my VIN. I am not (at least at this time) a believer in restamping engines to make them original. But I'd like to get it as correct as possible without any restamping.

Again, I understand that this car will never be worth as much as a numbers matching L78 Chevelle.

Mike
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 08, 10:52 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chevelle Doctor

It's feasible that you could use that engine in your car. Monetarily, it's not gonna increase the value of your car any signifigant amount. Just build it and enjoy it! You don't have to worry about breaking the original engine.

Authentication and pre-purchase inspection service still available. PM me for more information.

Still looking for that elusive 76 Nova SS.
People who have nothing better to do than b!tch about signatures need to get a life.

70 Chevelle L78/M21
10 Avalanche LT 1500 4wd
06 Equinox
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 08, 9:52 PM
Tech Team
Jeff

[quote=qzjrd5;1858530]

I have a line on an AUG69 build 3969854 L78 CE code engine. In your opinions, is there any more or less value in putting this CE block in vs. putting in a 3955272, JAN-JUN casting date, JD coded block?/quote]

In my opinion, a correctly date coded engine with the correct suffix is the closest to authentic you can get without having the original engine with your original VIN. You are putting an engine in that could concievably been there. A CE engine is thought by some to add value, and most will float the phony "this engine was replaced under warranty" balloon. So what, it still postdates the car and is not the original, so how does that add value?

I think as time goes on, there is more acceptance of a replacement block engine with the correct suffix. I have been encouraging this concept for over twenty years as a valid way to restore a car. And if more would have listened, we would not be in the restamped mess we have today. Good for you for not wanting to go there!!!!!! Course if all you can find is the CE block, there is no shame in that. Just don't try to give any impression that it belongs there, and enjoy the car for what it is.

Jeff Dotterer
Dated Components
Diamond Restored Judge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 4417 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.