Confidential Vins On Arlington Cars - Chevelle Tech
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 08, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
JOHNNIE

Confidential Vins On Arlington Cars

ok fellas heres the skinny. everyone knows about the problems with the arlington cars in general. but in my possession i have three arlington chevelles one 70 and two 72s, all with no con vins on the firewalls. now just yesterday my friend an auto theft detective was inspecting a 70 chevelle and could not locate the con vin on the firewall and was puzzled. i just simply told him that if it is an arlington car to quit looking, dont waste your time cuz it just ain there. he did locate a few numbers below the blower hole but he wasn't sure. so i took him about 40 feet and show'd him my 70s arlington built car with no convin. so now he has to inform everyone at the dept. that arlington cars dont have con vins on the firewalls only on the motor tranny and frame. the other is called the PVIN which is short for public. so why does the states reassign them and put them in the door jam. aint very public if the door is closed and locked. anyway to help us at teamchevelle with this little problem. i would like for everyone on this web site with an arlington built car of 70 71 or 72 that knows for sure that your car has no con vin to please speak up and post now. i will copy all of the replys so he can see that it is not just a couple of cars, that the fellas at the arlington plant just did not put them on the firewall. HOW DID THAT PASS INSPECTION FROM THE LINE TO OUR DRIVEWAYS. thanks in advance

i need motivation
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 08, 10:59 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chevelle Doctor

Re: Confidential Vins On Arlington Cars

I've never seen a CON VIN in a 70 Atlanta built chevelle at the heater box either.

Authentication and pre-purchase inspection service still available. PM me for more information.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still looking for that elusive 76 Nova SS.
People who have nothing better to do than b!tch about signatures need to get a life.

70 Chevelle L78/M21
10 Avalanche LT 1500 4wd
06 Equinox
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 08, 11:08 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

They're probably there somewhere, just haven't been found yet or haven't been made public by the enthusiasts that have found them.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 08, 11:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

My '70 Arlington car doesn't have the CON-VIN.

Dan

post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 08, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
JOHNNIE

i wish that was the case i have been in, on, under, over and beside my whole car and they aint there. i was told by an oklahoma state trooper back in 1990 that an arlington plant manager told him they aint there.

i need motivation
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 08, 11:36 PM
Tech Team

I had a '72 Chevelle SS and now have a '71 Chevelle SS, both built in Arlington, and neither had a con vin on the firewall.

'71 SS 402/M20 in progress

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 08, 12:02 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBLOCK70Z View Post
i wish that was the case i have been in, on, under, over and beside my whole car and they aint there. i was told by an oklahoma state trooper back in 1990 that an arlington plant manager told him they aint there.
OK then, this post doesn't make any since to me.

You know they are not there yet you want everyone that has Arlington car to post that they are not there.

It's impossible to prove something doesn't exist just because you haven't seen it.

post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 08, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
JOHNNIE

lets say your car got stolen and you possitivly id it to the police and it was stripped with the public vin gone. and the police looked for the con vin to identify you stolen car. with no con vin you will not get the car back cuz you cant prove its yours. so the con vin was by federal law supposed to be on engines, trannys, frames, and bodys plus the addition of the p vin. the con vin was to identify all of these major compenents. so it is important to get everyones statements for future victims of thefts who have no body con vins so they dont loose there cars completely. maybe i am going about this all wrong but it just came upon me to try and help someone if possible. if i have confused or hurt anyone in this i do apoligize.

i need motivation
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 08, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
JOHNNIE

here is my thoughts again. if i put my own vin number on my car where it should of been from the factory will i be breaking any state or federal laws.

i need motivation
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 08, 12:41 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Good idea, when I had mine apart I stamped the VIN in a bunch of different places.
The Highway Patrol may not have the older books showing the hidden VIN locations any longer.

I guess you could stamp personal identifiers you want.

post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 08, 1:00 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Good idea, when I had mine apart I stamped the VIN in a bunch of different places.
The Highway Patrol may not have the older books showing the hidden VIN locations any longer.

I guess you could stamp personal identifiers you want.
Trust me the NICB knows where those hidden vins are stamped. Mine is an Atlanta and had no hidden vins anywhere on the body. It was only on the frame.

Last edited by scott70zz; Feb 24th, 08 at 2:20 AM.
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 08, 1:22 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
JOHNNIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big White
Just curious. After owning the car for 20 years, why did the state have to issue a new VIN?
quote from scott 70zz
When I bought the car I was 15. I knew very little about Chevelles. This one was saved from the crusher and was a hodge podge of different parts. It had not been treated well. It did not have the original engine or transmission. I discovered the vin tag was missing when I disassembled my chevelle 2 yrs ago. I went through the proper law enforcement channels to try to verify the vin (through hidden vin locations) and we couldn't verify it. Evidently the guy at the factory whose job it was to stamp the hidden vin was on break. Therefore, the guy from the NICB told me to get a state issued vin. At one point in time, I know the vin plate was there, but I had recently had the windshield replaced and I think it may have disappeared at the glass shop.Quote:

i need motivation

Last edited by BIGBLOCK70Z; Feb 24th, 08 at 1:38 AM.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 08, 1:55 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big White
Just curious. After owning the car for 20 years, why did the state have to issue a new VIN?
quote from scott 70zz
When I bought the car I was 15. I knew very little about Chevelles. This one was saved from the crusher and was a hodge podge of different parts. It had not been treated well. It did not have the original engine or transmission. I discovered the vin tag was missing when I disassembled my chevelle 2 yrs ago. I went through the proper law enforcement channels to try to verify the vin (through hidden vin locations) and we couldn't verify it. Evidently the guy at the factory whose job it was to stamp the hidden vin was on break. Therefore, the guy from the NICB told me to get a state issued vin. At one point in time, I know the vin plate was there, but I had recently had the windshield replaced and I think it may have disappeared at the glass shop.Quote:
Will you advise me as to the point of this post BIGBLOCK? This a forum for sharing information, and I chose to share on a couple of occasions my experience, which was a several month process to retitle my car. If I am missing the point of your post, I apologize. My car was a rebuild, I at one time had a build sheet. I lost it. I know where the car was built at. The guy from the NICB was sent in by the DMV. Frames can be changed and he advised me that I needed to get a state issued vin.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 08, 2:17 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
JOHNNIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott70zz View Post
Trust me the NICB knows where those hidden vins are stamped. Mine is an Atlanta and had no hidden vins anywhere on the body. It was only on the frame.
i am not trying to pick a fight or debate. we are discussing the fact that alot of cars dont have federal mandated con vins on the bodys. when you posted this, that made me curious why you made that statement. (trust me the NCIB knows where those hidden vins are stamped. your atlanta car obviously had no con vin on the body, but only on the frame. why does it not have one on the body. that is the point. not on the body. obviously the NCIB knows that the con vins are missing and so does CHEVROLET. is it illegal to put a vin on a car if it is the original #. if your car gets stolen god forbid that happening. and the sorry beesterds take off your vin you cant prove that the body is yours so to speak. so what does the NCIB really know.

i need motivation
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 08, 2:27 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
i am not trying to pick a fight or debate. we are discussing the fact that alot of cars dont have federal mandated con vins on the bodys. when you posted this, that made me curious why you made that statement. (trust me the NCIB knows where those hidden vins are stamped. your atlanta car obviously had no con vin on the body, but only on the frame. why does it not have one on the body. that is the point. not on the body. obviously the NCIB knows that the con vins are missing and so does CHEVROLET. is it illegal to put a vin on a car if it is the original #. if your car gets stolen god forbid that happening. and the sorry beesterds take off your vin you cant prove that the body is yours so to speak. so what does the NCIB really know.
As I said in my prior post, I apologize if I misunderstood the intent of the post. I watched the NICB guy at work, he did say it was common that the con vins were missing due to the fact that it was assembly line workers doing the stamping. He seemed to be well informed, but he looked in multiple places on the body, but it was the heater and fan areas that we spent the most time on. Again, I'm sure most people haven't had the hands on experience of working with an NICB agent that I have had.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 3977 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.