Confidential Vins On Arlington Cars - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 08, 3:02 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
JOHNNIE

Re: Confidential Vins On Arlington Cars

ok here is another thing. SINCE CHEVROLET MAKES MILLIONS AND I THINK THAT IS AN UNDER STATEMENT. from the people that live drink and eat the bowtie, its like the american flag to me in a way. since this is such a big business so to speak of collecting and restoring and enjoying the muscle cars that we love. some if not all are valuable in many ways. how about sentimental. IF ALL THE CARS HAD THE CON VINS IN PLACE WITHOUT THE DETECTION OF FRAUD. WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD THEY ALLOW THE STATE TO PUT A UGLY HIDDEN VIN, A NUMBER NOT EVEN CLOSE TO THE ORIGINAL BACK ON A CAR THAT MADE THEM FAMOUS AND RICH. i guess it pee's me off to think that they have no problem taking our money, cant or wont restore a damaged, or stolen piece of metal that cant cost no more than a couple of bucks. so when the state applys the new ugly vin in a door jamb with a couple of rivets. it can easely be removed and the rivet holes welded up, and guess what back to the drawing board no con vin to back anything up....I AM WEARING MYSELF OUT.

i need motivation
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old Feb 29th, 08, 1:13 AM
Tech Team

I have an Arlington Built 70 LS6 Chevelle. No con VIN on the firewall. Only VIN is a double stamped one on the top of the frame behind the rear wheel on drivers side
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 08, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
JOHNNIE

thanks i am just trying to help us and or others.

i need motivation
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 09, 8:45 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Art

Send a message via Yahoo to z06 vette

Please explain--What is the con vin ? Where should it be and what is it? I have an Arlington 70 SS built first week of May.
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 09, 9:09 PM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06 vette View Post
Please explain--What is the con vin ? Where should it be and what is it? I have an Arlington 70 SS built first week of May.
CON VIN is 'concealed' or 'confidential' (it's been described as either so take your pick) VIN. It's a stamping of the division (in later years), the model year, the assembly plant, and the last six digits of the VIN or the sequence number such as 11R123456.
1 - Chevrolet
1 - 1971 model year
R - plant code for Arlington, TX.
123456 - sequence number

Early SS396s didn't normally have the division (1 for Chevrolet) where many 69 and later Chevelles I've seen include the division.

As to where/why some plants stamped them I would assume was a plant policy. I have photos of firewalls of 1970 Baltimore and Los Angeles (Van Nuys) Chevelles with their partial VINs stamped on the firewall behind the heater box. I know engines, transmissions and frames were to be stamped but I don't know of any mandate to stamp major body parts until 1987 or so - http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/eousa/foia...9/crm01364.htm

TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998

* Build Sheet Data Collection
* Author:

post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 09, 9:09 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chevelle Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06 vette View Post
CON VIN=concealed Vehicle Identification Number. It is a derivative of the whole legal VIN number on the dash. Your car is an Arlington TX car, so, apparently the only CON VIN you will have is on the frame, engine and transmission.

Lets say your VIN on the dash is 136370R123456. The concealed VIN derivative will be 10R123456. Breaks down as follows...
1=Chevrolet. (2=Pontiac, 3=Olds, 4=Buick)
0=model year, 1970
R=Arlington TX assembly plant.
123456= sequence matching your dash VIN.

Authentication and pre-purchase inspection service still available. PM me for more information.

Still looking for that elusive 76 Nova SS.
People who have nothing better to do than b!tch about signatures need to get a life.

70 Chevelle L78/M21
10 Avalanche LT 1500 4wd
06 Equinox
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 09, 9:10 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chevelle Doctor

I must type slower...

Authentication and pre-purchase inspection service still available. PM me for more information.

People who have nothing better to do than b!tch about signatures need to get a life.

70 Chevelle L78/M21
10 Avalanche LT 1500 4wd
06 Equinox
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 09, 11:14 PM
Tech Team

for some reason i remeber someone saying that there are vins stamped in the trunk gutter area on the 70's models luke.
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 09, 11:35 AM
Team Member
John

I have a Atlanta built 70 Chevelle and their is no CON VIN number on the firewall anywere.
Only VIN numbers were on the frame, eng, and tranny.

John

1970 LS6 Chevelle
1955 1/2 ton Chevy
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 09, 12:04 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian dipietro View Post
for some reason i remeber someone saying that there are vins stamped in the trunk gutter area on the 70's models luke.
Yes, a lot of people have said that but it's not true.
The numbers on the quarters are not the VIN.

post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 09, 12:43 PM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

I've heard the story about the numbers on the trunk gutters for 66 & 67 Chevelles but, alas, not true. Those (66/67) alpha/numeric sequences may begin with 136xxxx or 138xxxx but remember, partial/hidden/concealed/confidential/etal VINs NEVER have the Series, or Model numbers (e.g., 136xx/138xx) - only model year, plant, sequence and sometimes the GM division designation.

TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998

* Build Sheet Data Collection
* Author:

post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 09, 11:49 PM
Tech Team
Chris

I have a Arlington built 70 SS and on the fire wall below the windshield under the hood on the drivers side. I can see some of my vin numbers stamped in the metal? Would that be a con vin?
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 09, 12:43 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan <> TC #4690

Send a message via Skype™ to 1969 El Camino Dan
Wink Re: Confidential Vins On Arlington Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtstang34 View Post
I have a Arlington built 70 SS and on the fire wall below the windshield under the hood on the drivers side. I can see some of my vin numbers stamped in the metal? Would that be a con vin?
Let's see a picture of that! Please.

<== linky - SS 350 Phantom - originally Azure turquoise/white top/black buckets.

<== linky - Canadian import 307 Powerglide. Working on 454 4 sp w/ OD to liven it up
My progress blog here on T/C:

TC #4690 ACES #8465
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 09, 4:16 AM
Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969 El Camino Dan View Post
Let's see a picture of that! Please.
Yes I can take pictures tomorrow morning before I leave to work,But If I email you the pictures could you post them for me? I've never posted pictures before so maybe you could please help me out.

UPDATE: After Further investigation the numbers that are stamped above my cowl tag ARE NOT MY VIN NUMBER. sorry my mistake. But I still would like for you to look at the pictures I took you can see there are some numbers stamped above the cowl tag.

Chris

Last edited by svtstang34; Jan 15th, 09 at 3:24 PM.
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 09, 2:44 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chevelle Doctor

I bet that some of his VIN numbers are 13637....

70 Chevelle L78/M21
10 Avalanche LT 1500 4wd
06 Equinox
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 3974 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.