1967 SS matching numbers w/283 - oh boy - Chevelle Tech
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 95 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 07, 2:19 PM Thread Starter
Gold Founding Member
Tony

Send a message via AIM to TonyZ
1967 SS matching numbers w/283 - oh boy

This guy said the experts told him the VIN tag and trim tag have different prefixes (138 VIN, and 136 on Trim) because sometimes the factory makes a lot of mistakes. Also states the numbers all match, making this the first 67 Chevelle SS with a matching numbers 283.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-...QQcmdZViewItem

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gold - #358

2002 Avalanche Z71
1967 Chevelle SS

Last edited by TonyZ; Nov 14th, 07 at 2:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 95 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 07, 2:25 PM
Team Member
Mike Crown

Re: 1967 SS matching numbers w/283 - oh boy

I am sure he is right.. I am sure that some of the numbers on the TRIM TAG MATCH Some of the numbers on the VIN TAG and Some even likley MATCH the ones on the Engine

post #3 of 95 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 07, 2:29 PM Thread Starter
Gold Founding Member
Tony

Send a message via AIM to TonyZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 MYSTERY CHEVELLE View Post
I am sure he is right.. I am sure that some of the numbers on the TRIM TAG MATCH Some of the numbers on the VIN TAG and Some even likley MATCH the ones on the Engine
He said "I also checked the numers on the engine myself & it does match. It is a 283 with a powerglide trans and power stearing.". He's sounds sure too.

Gold - #358

2002 Avalanche Z71
1967 Chevelle SS

post #4 of 95 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 07, 2:46 PM
Team Member
Mike Crown

Ask him which EXPERT gave him that info.

post #5 of 95 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 07, 3:43 PM
Team Member
Mark

That is bizarre. I guess someone set out to make a phony SS but ended up not finishing it for whatever reason. Too bad. That will scare a lot of buyers away.

Mark
66 Chevelle SS

AACA Senior Grand National
MCACN Gold Concours
post #6 of 95 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 07, 4:38 PM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 MYSTERY CHEVELLE View Post
Like individual digits from '0..9'

TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998

* Build Sheet Data Collection
* Author:

post #7 of 95 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 07, 4:38 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rocky Hill

Here is what I asked or stated.

You should become a story writer because it's a mighty tall tale your spinning on that non SS malibu your trying to pass off as an SS. Lots of mistakes from the factory, that just cracks me up.

That should start em spinning.

Rocky

A Man And His Chevelle!
It's A Beautiful Thing.

TC Member #1530

post #8 of 95 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 07, 4:40 PM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Mark View Post
That is bizarre. I guess someone set out to make a phony SS but ended up not finishing it for whatever reason. Too bad. That will scare a lot of buyers away.
There are at least 4 bidders so far that either haven't read the information or don't know what they're reading.

* Author:

post #9 of 95 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 07, 5:16 PM
Team Member
Mike Crown

and that is the real issue... 4 bidders that either believe him, don't know any better, or quite possibly don't care and just like the car.. and may be bidding accordingly

It's really hard to say without knowing the bidders why they are bidding., but always my biggest fear.. the ones who don't know any better., and I don't feel badly for these people because quite frankly, in the age of the internet and so many resources at our finger tips for great accurate information... nobody should ever get taken!!

post #10 of 95 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 07, 5:54 PM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

I (kindly) wrote and ask for a photo of the VIN and trim tag and got a reply with photos. The style on the trim tag isn't readable but the body date of 04C is. The VIN plate has the correct rivets (easy to do) but...the sequence number is dead-on for a late April Chevelle from Framingham. Either someone (1) got real lucky with dates, (2) knew what they were looking for, (3) or could be really be? Hard to believe in 40 years it's never been caught by any DMV but if they only check the VIN plate number against the title (and he says they match), only an enthusiast might catch it as a SS396 VIN.

* Author:

post #11 of 95 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 07, 5:55 PM
Senior Tech Team

It's on the classifieds here also.

LK

https://www.chevelles.com/classifieds...t=17464&cat=15

Tighten it till it strips and back it off a quarter turn.

70 (SOLD)

post #12 of 95 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 07, 6:33 PM
Team Member
Paul

I agree with Dale that it could be real. He doesn't claim that it is an SS and is open about the VIN. One thing for sure is that it probably will be an SS next time it is sold. I also agree that it may never be caught by the DMV unless someone does recognize the prefix as being for an SS. It would be interesting to see the engine and trans numbers. I don't know if '67 had a con vin or not.
post #13 of 95 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 07, 6:43 PM

Wow, that was a really strange thing to read as I have a 1966 framingham SS that has a 283 in it (i'm told that the 396 was ripped out in the 80's) and even weirder when I checked out the classified it's artesian turquoise which is the original color of mine and even weirder is that it's a 04C but's its a 66 not a 67.
post #14 of 95 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 07, 6:44 PM
Senior Tech Team
The Driver

Could the Canadian SS models come with a small block of this period? I thought they could come either big block or small, whereas the 66 to 70 American SS Chevelles were only big block? Thought I read something to that effect. ???????????????????
post #15 of 95 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 07, 6:47 PM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

The engine wouldn't have a CON VIN (most transmission since 62 do though) but if it's original to the car, and no reason think it wouldn't be, the engine ID stamp should be in the 03xx to 04xx timeframe and the trans should be dated.

If, big if, it's legit someone with deeper pockets than me should grab it and restore it just because it's a goof.

* Author:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 4400 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.