1967 SS matching numbers w/283 - oh boy - Page 4 - Chevelle Tech
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 95 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 07, 9:15 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Stephanie

Re: 1967 SS matching numbers w/283 - oh boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyZ View Post
The VIN tag is pictured on the eBay ad and the cowl tag may follow soon.
Oh, there is a picture of the vin tag posted now. It wasn't there last time I looked. Sorry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TC member #3204
Aces member #08174
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 95 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 07, 9:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

Quote:
Leo I mentioned the DMV only as a tracking for the VIN, not the designation of the car's pedigree.
I see, the DMV isn't perfect, they make mistakes too.

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

post #48 of 95 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 07, 10:45 AM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

Quote:
Dale the L79 was up to 375hp 327 ci? I meant 350ci engines with that hp rating or higher, but I guess they were all after the law came into effect.
The L79 was rated 350hp in 65 but dropped to 325hp from 66 to 68 so they would not compete (hp-wise) with the 396. Only talking Chevelles here, not the other Chevrolet lines.

TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998

* Build Sheet Data Collection
* Author:

post #49 of 95 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 07, 10:53 AM
Team Member
Mike Crown

Well.. not to beat a horse that doesn't matter.. but I believe the Chevelle in 1966 was not even part of the L-79 line up.. so we are just talking about other Chevrolets in 66 when we talk about hp drop of the L-79.

But alas, that is not a topic for this Post..

This man's car is apparently what it is... we can brow beat him or the car to death.. but all it causes is bad feelings for all involved... we are all guilty, myself included of jumping the gun when it comes to automatically thinking a seller is up to no good... but when a seller is Stand Up enough to come here and discuss it openly even with getting beat up a bit.. that goes a long way in my book for his character.. I can't speak to the car and what it may be or not be..but lets all take a deep breath.

post #50 of 95 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 07, 11:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 MYSTERY CHEVELLE View Post
Well.. not to beat a horse that doesn't matter.. but I believe the Chevelle in 1966 was not even part of the L-79 line up.. so we are just talking about other Chevrolets in 66 when we talk about hp drop of the L-79.

But alas, that is not a topic for this Post..

This man's car is apparently what it is... we can brow beat him or the car to death.. but all it causes is bad feelings for all involved... we are all guilty, myself included of jumping the gun when it comes to automatically thinking a seller is up to no good... but when a seller is Stand Up enough to come here and discuss it openly even with getting beat up a bit.. that goes a long way in my book for his character.. I can't speak to the car and what it may be or not be..but lets all take a deep breath.
My turn... If a 283 car could have slipped through with a 138 Vin then I would have to say it's possible that a Vin tag could have gotten round rivets and a 72 SS could have gotten a 307!
post #51 of 95 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 07, 12:15 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisquit037 View Post
My turn... If a 283 car could have slipped through with a 138 Vin then I would have to say it's possible that a Vin tag could have gotten round rivets and a 72 SS could have gotten a 307!

Nooooooooooooo. Not the 307SS thing again.

LK

Tighten it till it strips and back it off a quarter turn.

70 (SOLD)

post #52 of 95 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 07, 12:22 PM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

Actually, it's my bad. The L79 was still rated at 350hp in 66 and released in March of 1966. Multiple reference sources such as Colvin's "...by the numbers", Chevrolet's Parts & Accessories catalog and the 1966 AIM all show L79 items for 1966, both unique to Chevelle and in combination with other Chevrolet models in 1966 such as engine suffix codes, carburetors, distributors, heads, block, camshaft, alternator braces, intake and exhaust manifolds.

TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998

* Build Sheet Data Collection
* Author:

post #53 of 95 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 07, 1:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Auction looks straight and fair to me too. Around here, that buy it now price is very reasonable too. Looks like a nice car sold by someone that has taken some heat like Mike said and stood up for himself and gave a reasonable explaination.

Chris.

When the Boogeyman goes to bed, he checks the closet for Chuck Norris.

If it aint broke, just give me a minute.
post #54 of 95 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 07, 2:55 PM Thread Starter
Gold Founding Member
Tony

Send a message via AIM to TonyZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 MYSTERY CHEVELLE View Post
This man's car is apparently what it is... we can brow beat him or the car to death.. but all it causes is bad feelings for all involved...

True - and how it got will never be confirmed so that's that

we are all guilty, myself included of jumping the gun when it comes to automatically thinking a seller is up to no good...

Yeah I guess you get a little gun shy from all the people out there trying to pull a fast one that you think everyone is.

but when a seller is Stand Up enough to come here and discuss it openly even with getting beat up a bit.. that goes a long way in my book for his character.. I can't speak to the car and what it may be or not be..but lets all take a deep breath.

True

Gold - #358

2002 Avalanche Z71
1967 Chevelle SS
post #55 of 95 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 07, 5:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rocky Hill

One last comment and I'm am done. when you have a model specific ie:SS396 designated by a VIN, we all have no way to know for sure, except the little old lady from Pasadena who only drove it to church, but I equate this to having an Impala VIN on your Corvette. Our job analyzer in the office is a retired GM Leeds employee, and not just a nut and bolt guy on the line either.

But his take on it is it would be a pretty cold day in Hades before a VIN that specifically ID's a model got put on the wrong car. He said trim tags yes, VIN's no. Everyone can speculate how and why but I don't buy it came from the factory that way.

Rocky

A Man And His Chevelle!
It's A Beautiful Thing.

TC Member #1530

post #56 of 95 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 07, 5:31 PM

One last thing from me also. There are many weird things in the world that happen. This was one of them and if you don't want to believe it then don't buy it. Any way you look at it this is an extremely clean 1967 Chevelle Malibu with the original 283/PG and still sporting the original paint. Maybe the original owner (an 89 year old lady) turned her SS into a malibu so all of the people asking her to buy her car would leave her alone. LOL
post #57 of 95 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 07, 5:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Sebert

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey123 View Post
Maybe the original owner (an 89 year old lady) turned her SS into a malibu so all of the people asking her to buy her car would leave her alone. LOL
My 66's , 89 year old little old lady original owner, kept hers an SS

Seb (Seeb)
TC #2794

post #58 of 95 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 07, 7:40 PM Thread Starter
Gold Founding Member
Tony

Send a message via AIM to TonyZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocks66ss View Post
Our job analyzer in the office is a retired GM Leeds employee, and not just a nut and bolt guy on the line either.

But his take on it is it would be a pretty cold day in Hades before a VIN that specifically ID's a model got put on the wrong car. He said trim tags yes, VIN's no.

Rocky
You know I've thought about this a lot. Maybe the driver door got hit and it was changed and the VIN tag changed with it. Maybe the little old lady forgot about it or didn't know . Maybe it was when her daughter had the car and was driving it. I don't have the answer but coming from the factory like that has to be the lowest percentage possibility, but still possible.

Gold - #358

2002 Avalanche Z71
1967 Chevelle SS
post #59 of 95 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 07, 8:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Rolling Quarters...... Be a shame to see it leave the state. Poor Florida car with all that original paint. Old cars are like old people the Florida sun helps with all the little aches and pains.

post #60 of 95 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 07, 10:32 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chevelle Doctor

Quote:
You know I've thought about this a lot. Maybe the driver door got hit and it was changed and the VIN tag changed with it. Maybe the little old lady forgot about it or didn't know . Maybe it was when her daughter had the car and was driving it. I don't have the answer but coming from the factory like that has to be the lowest percentage possibility, but still possible.
Good theory, but the VIN tag is rivited to the door jamb, not the door. And he states that it has the original paint on it as well. I wanna know about the truck for sale... "The floors & truck are solid with no holes "

Authentication and pre-purchase inspection service still available. PM me for more information.

Still looking for that elusive 76 Nova SS.
People who have nothing better to do than b!tch about signatures need to get a life.

70 Chevelle L78/M21
10 Avalanche LT 1500 4wd
06 Equinox
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 4637 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.