1967 SS matching numbers w/283 - oh boy - Page 3 - Chevelle Tech
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 95 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 07, 7:59 PM

Re: 1967 SS matching numbers w/283 - oh boy

FM...I don't smoke, drink or do drugs. Just love old cars & talking to nice people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 95 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 07, 8:05 PM Thread Starter
Gold Founding Member
Tony

Send a message via AIM to TonyZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey123 View Post
Hi Tony,The car was in the old ladies name, then in her daughters name but never left the old ladys possesion. She stopped driving it for a couple years and it sat in the garage. The numbers on the front pad of the engine look to be TO4I9DE and I have pictures of the tags but I dont know how to post them. Can you tell me how to post the pics?
I meant the VIN #'s stamped on the block. I saw where you posted those #'s already. I guess more questions - Do you have copies of the old lady's title with the 138 VIN listed? The pic can be emailed to me and I'll post it or you could just ad it to the eBay ad. Can the DMV verify the VIN never changed over the years? Seems like very answer spawns new questions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gold - #358

2002 Avalanche Z71
1967 Chevelle SS
post #33 of 95 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 07, 8:11 PM

Those were the only numbers I saw onthe block unless I am looking in the wrong area. Idon't have any copies of the original Title and I don't know what DMV had in there data base. It was never a concern for me because I just wanted the car for what it was. A real clean all original 1967 Chevelle Malibu Sport Coupe with a 283/PG. I only decided to sell the 67 because I decided to build a 1968 Pro Street Chevelle with a 6:71 Blower.

post #34 of 95 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 07, 8:14 PM
Gold Founding Member
"Wild Bill"

Send a message via AIM to BillsCamino

Easy guys...gee!!
I believe Petey is being truly honest.

So much so, I've been bidding on this car...and for what it is right now and how it is being represented...a clean, '67 small block Malibu!

If it used to be an SS, someone went thru a lot of effort to clone a Malibu.

1967 Camaro SS-Gen I
2017 Camaro RS-Gen VI
2019 Cadillac XT5 AWD
1990 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

My Super Heros don't wear a cape...they wear Dog Tags!!
post #35 of 95 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 07, 8:22 PM Thread Starter
Gold Founding Member
Tony

FWIW - the car is solid - and interesting enough too. Go get it Bill!

Gold - #358

2002 Avalanche Z71
1967 Chevelle SS
post #36 of 95 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 07, 9:17 PM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

FWIW, the CON VIN wasn't stamped on small block Chevelles except for the L79.

TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998

* Build Sheet Data Collection
* Author:

post #37 of 95 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 07, 9:37 PM Thread Starter
Gold Founding Member
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale McIntosh View Post
FWIW, the CON VIN wasn't stamped on small block Chevelles except for the L79.
Hard to call it numbers matching drivetrain if there are no numbers to match. Although I have no reason to doubt that it is the original. Dale do you know the reason GM didn't stamp a CON VIN on sb's except the L79? Not even HiPo 350's?

Gold - #358

2002 Avalanche Z71
1967 Chevelle SS
post #38 of 95 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 07, 9:47 PM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

I believe it was mandated by federal law in 1968. Why it was even done previously on any car/engine I can't say. I'm guessing here but it was probably done on higher horsepower (i.e., more desireable to steal and strip) cars like the L79 and SS396 cars than standard V8 engines. When you say HiPo 350s, I assume you mean the 350cid engines? HiPo could have numerous meanings as far as HP goes - but Chevelles didn't get a 350 until '69 so the law would have included those. Camaros had a 350 in 67 but I can't vouch for those whether they got CON VIN stamps or not.

TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998

* Build Sheet Data Collection
* Author:

post #39 of 95 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 07, 9:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

I hate to rain on the parade, but the DMV doesn't care about the fact of whether it's an SS or not, the title usually doesn't even have that on it here in Md anyway.

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

post #40 of 95 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 07, 9:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Stephanie

Man, some of you guys are being harsh. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt. He seems to just be stating the facts as he knows them, not trying to deceive anyone as to what it is. As crazy as it may sound maybe it really is a mistake or maybe the lady or her family that he bought it from is the one being dishonest. I'm sure I'm not the only one that would be interested in seeing pictures of the cowl tag and the vin tag to see if it appears to have been tampered with. If you could do that it might help to ease some of the tension around here.

TC member #3204
Aces member #08174
post #41 of 95 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 07, 9:57 PM Thread Starter
Gold Founding Member
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale McIntosh View Post
I believe it was mandated by federal law in 1968. Why it was even done previously on any car/engine I can't say. I'm guessing here but it was probably done on higher horsepower (i.e., more desireable to steal and strip) cars like the L79 and SS396 cars than standard V8 engines. When you say HiPo 350s, I assume you mean the 350cid engines? HiPo could have numerous meanings as far as HP goes - but Chevelles didn't get a 350 until '69 so the law would have included those. Camaros had a 350 in 67 but I can't vouch for those whether they got CON VIN stamps or not.
Dale the L79 was up to 375hp 327 ci? I meant 350ci engines with that hp rating or higher, but I guess they were all after the law came into effect.

Gold - #358

2002 Avalanche Z71
1967 Chevelle SS
post #42 of 95 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 07, 9:59 PM Thread Starter
Gold Founding Member
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrfan8bud View Post
I'm sure I'm not the only one that would be interested in seeing pictures of the cowl tag and the vin tag to see if it appear to have been tampered with.
The VIN tag is pictured on the eBay ad and the cowl tag may follow soon.

Gold - #358

2002 Avalanche Z71
1967 Chevelle SS
post #43 of 95 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 07, 10:01 PM
Tech Team
JOHNNIE

i think the most logical answer is someone ordered a malibu and they got a ss in the making, who knows if the vin has never been tampered with then it is the real deal, and someone will probably buy it and make a nom ss out of it. i would, we probably all would. but not now the cat is out of the bag. it should have more vin numbers on the car somewhere surely. i cant at this point discredit mr petey. so good luck on you sale. oh buy the way i did love this part, AND I BELIEVE HER, THE LITTLE OLD LADY. LIKE A LITTLE OLD LADY HAS NEVER BEEN DISHONEST.

i need motivation
post #44 of 95 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 07, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Gold Founding Member
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoP View Post
I hate to rain on the parade, but the DMV doesn't care about the fact of whether it's an SS or not, the title usually doesn't even have that on it here in Md anyway.
Leo I mentioned the DMV only as a tracking for the VIN, not the designation of the car's pedigree.

Gold - #358

2002 Avalanche Z71
1967 Chevelle SS
post #45 of 95 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 07, 10:10 PM
Senior Tech Team

I for one think it's worth what the asking price is, If I didn't have my 70 I'd be all over it even though I'm in Michigan. As long as the title matches the vin it's all good.

LK

Tighten it till it strips and back it off a quarter turn.

70 (SOLD)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 4395 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.