Numbers Matching??? - Chevelle Tech
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 07, 7:56 PM Thread Starter

Numbers Matching???

As in....finding a 327 that "could" make your car a matching numbers car? I looked at 20 or so post but found nothing so I apologize if this has been hashed over and over again.

Mine is a 65 SS. IS it true that no "ONE" motor id came in each particular car? I thought I heard that the engines were in series of months and IF you have a motor that is within the same era of time your car was built that the codes matched that it would be the "same"??????? as numbers matching?

I know this is an odd question, but I may have the opportunity to buy a 327 and it "sounds' if it is the same series build as my car. IF it is I'm gonna buy it.

Anybody ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 07, 8:26 PM
Team Member
Frank

Thumbs up Re: Numbers Matching???

Do you have a protect-o-plate? If so the engine stamp letters/numbers are listed on it just below the original buyers address (mine is F 1029 EA). As far as I know these letters/numbers must match the engine in order for the engine to be #'s matching. If anyone KNOWS otherwise let us know.

1965 Malibu SS conv./"slip-n-slide" powerglide
1965 Malibu SS hdtp./ 4-speed
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 07, 8:32 PM Thread Starter

Re: Numbers Matching???

I guess if that is the case.....I'm out of luck. No point in hunting an engine down and passing it off as numbers matching is not something I choose to do.

your information makes sense. So the engine "IS" a specific number to a specific car based on that. Thanks for the input.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 07, 8:37 PM
Senior Tech Team
Mark

Send a message via MSN to 138car Send a message via Yahoo to 138car

The way I understand it a numbers matching car retains the original drivetrain (engine transmission, rear end)it left the factory with. Other terms are being used in the hobby like date correct. I think that is what you are referring to.

Mark Hickman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- gone

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 07, 8:45 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Scott

Dana. As Mark said. If its not the engine that was in it when it left the factory, It can never be "numbers matching". The best you can do is "date correct".

SCOTT
TC #3238
ACES #7490

To secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, ó That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government
The Declaration of Independence
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 07, 9:05 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom Lloyd

Garage

Hard to get your virginity back too!

Tom Lloyd

take my advice, I'm not using it.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 07, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd66 View Post
Hard to get your virginity back too!
LOL!!!!

Hey guys thanks, is there a window of time, is it a month or 3 ? to get it date correct??? I wouldn't mind doing that. Thanks for the responses.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 07, 8:22 PM
Tech Team
Jeff

I'm definately not an expert on this...but from what I gather from some Corvette buddies...you would have to have a knowledge of the order in which all the numbered and dated components went together as the car was orginally assembled...then you start with the build date on your VIN and go back from there...then you have a date correct car...not necessarily numbers matching...which from what I understand means the block, the tranny, the rearend match the vin...

Now IMO...if you have 327 block and heads that are 1965 and have the numbers for your application...then that is correct for the car...

And to be completely honest with you...if I had a 65 Velle with a 67 327 corvette motor in it...wouldn't make a flying frig to me...I'd drive the wheels off it without a care for what anyone thought of the numbers...
But that's just me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 4642 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.