Decode Motor - Chevelle Tech
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 07, 3:41 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Chuck

Send a message via Skype™ to chas59
Smile Decode Motor

I am looking at purchasing a motor for my 68 ss. I have found one with the following numbers, can anyone help?

Casting # 3916323
Front Pad # CE851635
This was also on block - 00NV2

Thanks to all for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 07, 3:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jason

Send a message via Yahoo to 136679ss
Re: Decode Motor

it's a correct 396 for your year. The CExxxxxx decodes as Chevrolet Engine or a warranty block. the latter numbers translate into it's production sequence. It can be a two or 4 bolt main. If it's assembled, the easiest way to tell if it's a 4 bolt is to look just above the oil filter and view 2 LARGE holes used for external oil coolers, as opposed to just one small and one large for a sending unit.

TC#2693
Aces# 7467
Heart of Dixie CC
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 07, 4:12 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Chuck

Thanks for the info. My car has a date code of 115, so I am guessing that it's a 5th week of november car, built in 67. So that would still make the motor correct for my car?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 07, 5:13 PM
Senior Tech Team
Mike

00NV2 is really CONV2

CONV2 is conveyor 2 in the foundry, the production line the made it

fyi

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 07, 5:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas59 View Post
Thanks for the info. My car has a date code of 115, so I am guessing that it's a 5th week of november car, built in 67. So that would still make the motor correct for my car?
115? Do you mean 11E? Look at the cowl tag to determine built month and week if you're unsure. Look at the casting date for the engine. It will be cast into the block and be located between the number 4 and 6 cylinders below the cylinder heads on the passenger side of the block. It will look something like C248. If you have a November built car, than any date after that in the 68 model year on the block would be period correct.

TC#2693
Aces# 7467
Heart of Dixie CC
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 07, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Chuck

Thanks Jason, Yes the tag does read 11E, that was my fault. As for the casting date it doesn't look like any thing except boogered up cast, or someone messed with it. Was wandering if a ce block would have a casting date? Also when you say any motor after the 11E would be correect, would that be for an A 10 8 casting motor. I was told that we needed a motor built prior to the cars build date. So we were looking for one built from August of 67 through november of 67. Is that not correct. Thanks for all your help, really appreciate it.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 07, 1:29 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jason

The original engine to your car (numbers matching) would have had a date within 3 months prior to your cars build date. Since this is a warranty block, your numbers matching engine would have been replaced by a date likely following the initial sale of your car after it blew up. Making it a period correct warranty exchange motor. I'm not saying this happened in your car's case, it's just a scenario. CE motors have casting dates in the location I suggested just like any other Gen IV BBC of this period, they just don't have the traditional Txxxxxxxx assemly dates and engine codes on the front pad you'd see if the motor was from a production car. The date on a CE motor isn't very critical as a specific number of blocks were cast for both warranty and crate sales, and you could end up hypothetically with one which was cast before your car was built (although unlikely).

TC#2693
Aces# 7467
Heart of Dixie CC
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 07, 1:36 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by 136679ss View Post
it's a correct 396 for your year. The CExxxxxx decodes as Chevrolet Engine or a warranty block. the latter numbers translate into it's production sequence. It can be a two or 4 bolt main. If it's assembled, the easiest way to tell if it's a 4 bolt is to look just above the oil filter and view 2 LARGE holes used for external oil coolers, as opposed to just one small and one large for a sending unit.
Here is a good example of how to identify a 4 bolt main I was discussing in my previous post.

TC#2693
Aces# 7467
Heart of Dixie CC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 4408 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.