69 cowl tag question - Chevelle Tech
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 07, 5:40 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Stephanie

69 cowl tag question

I have a couple of questions about this tag. I know most of it but I do not know what the 13 in the top right corner is for or the 8 that is below the build date. Does anyone know? Here is the information

69 13637 BAL 279864
795 5757
07C BL207769

VIN# 136379B404895

Is 795 cloth? bench seat?
Build date July of 69 right? not 68
Do all the numbers seem to line up correctly?
This car belongs to a relative of mine. He has had it owned it for about 22 years and it had been in dry storage for about the last 18. It was his first car. He is planning on doing a frame off restoration on it in the next couple of years. I finally got him to take me to see it yesterday to get the numbers and to take a few pictures. He said it is a SS396 4 speed bench seat car. Unfortunately it does not retain it's original motor, it has a CE replacement block but he thought it was originally a L-78. I told him he would probably never know for sure unless he gets lucky enough to find a build sheet during the resto. Thanks in advance for you help with the questions, Stephanie

When I posted it, it put the 13 in the wrong place and I can't seem to get it where it belongs but it is right above the sequence number on the tag.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TC member #3204
Aces member #08174
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 07, 9:51 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Andy

Re: 69 cowl tag question

The 13 is believed to be related to the cradle that carried the body through being built on the fisher side. That info was obtained from a former baltimore worker, but it may not be totally correct. It was used for quality cotrol of the cradles during assembly, if they found an error from a body during assembly they could adjust or fix the cradle if that was the problem. The 8 is unknown, some baltimore tags have it and some don't. Sounds like a great project. 795 is the standard vinyl bench seat. Hope that helps, Andy
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 07, 11:29 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dave

Wow, Stephanie what a nice car............. (My_car in your sig)

Dave Bradley

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 07, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Stephanie

Andy,
Yes it does help, thank you! He wants to restore it back to original and I didn't want to tell him something wrong. Seems alot of books out there have contradicting information so I wasn't sure about the interior. Thanks again for your help, Stephanie

TC member #3204
Aces member #08174
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 07, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Stephanie

Thanks Dave, thats my baby!

TC member #3204
Aces member #08174
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 07, 6:17 AM
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

5757=Fathom Green exterior with no vinyl top. 795=Midnight Green vinyl bench seat interior. 07C=3rd week in July, 1969 (same as mine). '69 model year production at Baltimore went into either the 4th or 5th week of July, 1969 (I could look it up if necessary). Mine also has a crudely stamped 8 in the tag that looks like it was stamped after the cowl tag was installed. I have no idea what it means. The L in the bottom row is thought by some to be an SS indicator on Baltimore '69's. Some things to look for on an SS L78 are a single 3/8" fuel line but on many cars the return line of L34 and L35 cars has been removed over the years, so look at mounting brackets along frame (single or dual line) and the tank pickup/sending unit (single or dual line). If it has the tach/gauge option, a 6000 rpm redline (if original) is L78. But even if these indictors are present, without a build sheet or other documentation they're (the indicators) not worth much.

von '69 Malibu Team Chevelle Member #15

Last edited by von; Sep 15th, 07 at 11:41 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 07, 11:06 AM
Senior Tech Team
Mike

Those stamped numbers probably relate quality control testing etc. They may have been testing a new process or marking cars to be pulled from the line to be gone over closely for quality control etc.

I once ordered a new Firebird thru a salesman friend who's son-n-law worked for Pontiac order processing or something where they had program production. When I ordered the car, Charlie said I can get your car flagged for QC if you want. My SNL said to tell him the order number and he will do the rest. By flagging the car meant it had to be inspected at every stage of assembly, it would not leave till everyone inspector along the way gave his approval. Not random like the rest. When the car arrived, it had so many "OK" (est. at least 50) stickers in every color imaginable on the windshield. They said they never seen anything like it before in the shop. And in the 4 yrs I owned that Trans Am, I only had one problem, a leaking radiator hose clamp 3 yrs out. So this may have been their way of tracking vehicles for QC.

Last edited by elcamino; Sep 15th, 07 at 11:19 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 07, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Stephanie

Thanks for everyone input. The car does not have a factory tach and I'm not sure about the fuel lines. I cannot tell from the pictures I have. I will pass on this information to him.
The car does appear to still have most of it's original interior. The only exceptions being the front seat, the steering wheel and the radio so I'm holding out some hope of finding a build sheet. I will personally volunteer to help him tear it apart. I have been trying to get him to sell me the car for many years and the answer is always the same. It's not for sale and never will be. I even stored it for him in my garage for about 4 years. At least now he's finally talking about doing something with it.

TC member #3204
Aces member #08174
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 07, 12:23 PM
Tech Team

Garage

i have a 07E build, so i beleive 5th week july 1969 would be correct

john

1957 Bel Air street/strip [email protected] retired 1987
1969 chev. SS strip [email protected] retired 1998
current project 69'chev.SS L78,M21

With one foot in the grave
And one foot on the pedal, I was born a rebel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 4679 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.