Plastic Vin Tag? - Chevelle Tech
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 07, 9:47 PM Thread Starter

Plastic Vin Tag?

I bought a 70 chevelle and started disassembling it. The dash has a strip of numbers on a plastic stamped strip. Can this be a state issued VIN.
The origional rivets are there with pieces of a metal vin plate under them. I got the car with a clean title. Under the heater box is nothing in the way of numbers. Once I cleaned the dirt and black paint off the area, all that was there was orange (primer?) over metal. (sandpaper research). Has anyone ever heard of a plastic vin strip instead of the former metal one? Also has anyone heard of GM using an orange primer on the bare metal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 07, 9:56 PM
Tech Team
JOHNNIE

Re: Plastic Vin Tag?

I have never heard of a plastic vin. sounds kinda fishy. but under the heater core opening should be a vin and likewise under the blower motor hole. unless that car is from arlington. but but since you have no vin that is kinda hard to know. there will be a frame vin on the top rail drivers side behind back tire. and also if an arlington car the only build sheet will be found under the tar paper drivers floor board. good luck

i need motivation
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 07, 12:39 AM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

These 'alternate' locations do not contain the entire VIN; the series/model is not identified in these locations, only the division/year/plant/sequence number. Only the VIN plate itself contains the entire VIN.

The few state VIN plates I've seen are installed in an easy to get to location, even on 68 and newer Chevelles. Also the state VINs I've seen are nothing like the GM VINs (e.g., 136370A123456) - is there a VIN on this clean title?

TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* Build Sheet Data Collection
* Author:

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 07, 9:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Guys,

The Plastic VIN matches my title. I will check the frame rail when I jack up the body.
There was no build sheet when I pulled the gas tank. The floors have been previously stripped of tar paper. There is replacement jute and carpet that I pulled out to see the pans. If there were a build sheet the mice probably chewed it up. When I took off the heater box, I pulled "mouse nest" from the cowl and vent areas, I could have filled 2/3 of a 5 gallon bucket with it. Next time I buy a car, I am taking off the dash pad to inspect the actual attachment of the VIN.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 07, 9:03 AM
Senior Tech Team
John

When you say plastic strip, do you mean like the old "Label Maker' Plastic strips?

A buddy of mine once had a Corvette where somebody had taken a label maker, Stamped the VIN on it, sprayed it flat black and glued it to the VIN pad area of the Pillar Post.

The Piller post had rotted out with rust and the VIN plate was gone. It was bondo'ed over with the bogus VIN plate attached over it.

If that's what you mean by Plastic strip, and it matches your Title with the same GM stamping number sequence.

You likely have a bit of trouble on your hands.

Happy motoring!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 07, 9:03 PM
Tech Team
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69396ss View Post
When you say plastic strip, do you mean like the old "Label Maker' Plastic strips?

A buddy of mine once had a Corvette where somebody had taken a label maker, Stamped the VIN on it, sprayed it flat black and glued it to the VIN pad area of the Pillar Post.

The Piller post had rotted out with rust and the VIN plate was gone. It was bondo'ed over with the bogus VIN plate attached over it.

If that's what you mean by Plastic strip, and it matches your Title with the same GM stamping number sequence.

You likely have a bit of trouble on your hands.
Frigging rednecks...hahaha
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 07, 9:22 PM Thread Starter

It doesn't look like from a labelmaker, but I suppose that anything is possible at this point. This is really disgusting to me because the Malibu that I previously bought to restore ended up having a VIN tag that looked cool, except the rivets had been ground from underneath and it was glued in place with the rivet heads. Whoever had done it had probably done it before. The Chevelle I recently bought was put together in the Flint plant and it seemed to me that maybe other plants could have different "looking" VINs. The Malibu was so rusty that after I got this fairly solid Chevelle, I cut it up and took it to the metal scrapyard. I had a guy who wanted to buy the VIN and body tag, but I would not sell it to him. I just scrapped the car, VIN and all. I think I am going to list the two VINs on the Chevelle registry so everyone knows that those two VINs are no good.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 07, 1:35 AM
Tech Team
Jeff

To me a Velle is a Velle is a Velle unless it is a 307 that someone is trying to pass off as an LS5 and even then it is still a Velle...you sound discouraged my friend...please don't be...don't scrap 'em...make a stock car or drag car out of them at least...
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 07, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

I'm going to use the Malibu's frame because it is solid. The Chevelle has a big hole where the steering box and sway bar bolt up. The Malibu was not a total loss. It really needed $4K worth of sheetmetal. I've been selling the good parts off of it. There weren't many.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 07, 10:43 AM
Levon

Post a picture of this plastic VIN so we van help determine what you are referring to.

Levon Hovagimian
Team Chevelle #279
2015 Camaro ZL1 Summit White (Bone Stock)
70 Chevelle SS 454 LS5 4 speed. SOLD
Current Engine VortecPro 460 (513 HP) Original is resting

1966 427 Corvette SOLD
1973 Camaro IHRA Hot Rod (LS-6 Auto)11.00 @121 (Chased a 10.99 or better) SOLD

Priddis Greens, Ab. Canada

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 07, 9:32 AM
Team Member
Paul

If the partial vin on the body or frame match the last six of the title I wouldn't worry about the plastic strip. The VIN tag on Chevelles is prone to rusting away due to it being close to the windshield and subject to water damage from condensation. One of my cars I had in the seventies had a bad windshield and when it came back from the glass shop the tag was gone. They used a piano wire type of cutter to cut the windshield out along with the vin tag.
The partial vin under the heater on the engine side of the firewall could be below the blower motor opening or stamped where the lower flange of the heater box sits on the firewall.

Paul
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 07, 7:48 PM Thread Starter

No rust just where a tag has been ripped off of the rivets and a plastic tag in front of it.
I wire wheeled the area where the heater box goes. (On my Malibu a contradicting vin was stamped twice in this area. So I do know what that would look like.) That was the rusty car that I ended up scrapping. On the Chevelle that I am currently looking at the area under the heater box has no stamping and no one has ground on it, it looks as though it was never stamped there at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 4416 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.