69 Kansas City trim tag - Chevelle Tech
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 07, 1:38 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Van Hurst

69 Kansas City trim tag

I am currently looking at a 69 SS built at the Leeds plant and it has the L on the trim tag and the guy is telling me that he read on this site where it was proven that all 69's built at Kansas City with an L on the trim tag where SS cars
I'm not trying to start an arguement but could someone show me the proof of this because I can't find it on here anywhere.I know there is strong reason to believe this to be true,but I don't remember seeing where it had been proven,thanks.
Van

Slowly becoming a Day 2 fiend!
68 SS L78 hardtop
68 Malibu
69 COPO Chevelle

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 07, 2:09 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Andy

Re: 69 Kansas City trim tag

It is NOT proven, the research is still ongoing with different opinions. It is highly likely that it is related to the SS option but the real proof (documentation) is lacking at this time. The SS kansas bodies that have documentation have the L but absolute proof isn't known yet. hope that helps. I'd like to get the tag info from the body you are looking at, I may have other info on it or at least would like to add it to the research. PM me or email direct to [email protected]. Andy
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 07, 3:57 PM
Senior Tech Team
John

As Andy states, very likely as he's gathered about 550 examples with only a couple questioned variances.

But with that information becoming better known, the likelyhood for reproduction Cowl tags increases.

Is the motor numbers matching?

Also, where are you located in KY?

I'm in Florence and have owned a Kansas 69 and have researched them extensively so I know them pretty well.

If your not too far, I wouldn't mind taking a look at it for you.

PM me if interested.

Happy motoring!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 07, 7:12 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Van Hurst

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69396ss View Post
As Andy states, very likely as he's gathered about 550 examples with only a couple questioned variances.

But with that information becoming better known, the likelyhood for reproduction Cowl tags increases.

Is the motor numbers matching?

Also, where are you located in KY?

I'm in Florence and have owned a Kansas 69 and have researched them extensively so I know them pretty well.

If your not too far, I wouldn't mind taking a look at it for you.

PM me if interested.
I'm in Mt.Sterling,but the car is around 500 miles away in another state,it is a Monaco orange car so I know its a Super Sport,and I know it is an original trim tag as the ar is all original (but somewhat rough).I was just wandering if it had ever been proven fact that this L was only on SS cars,thanks for the help and the offer to come look at it for me,I had sent Andy the trim tag numbers for his own personal reference.
Van

68 SS L78 hardtop
68 Malibu
69 COPO Chevelle

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 07, 9:28 PM
Tech Team
Mike

Van is the Chevelle in Oklahoma City? I have 3 69 SSs, 2 Chevelles and 1 El-Camino all Leeds Plant Built. One Monaco Orange L on the Tag,One Black El-Camino L on the Tag and my Fathom Green the same.
Mike

Mike Bond
ACES Charter Member #99
69 Chevelle SS396 Fathom Green
69 El-Camino SS 396 Black
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 07, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Van Hurst

Quote:
Originally Posted by L7870_cortez View Post
Van is the Chevelle in Oklahoma City? I have 3 69 SSs, 2 Chevelles and 1 El-Camino all Leeds Plant Built. One Monaco Orange L on the Tag,One Black El-Camino L on the Tag and my Fathom Green the same.
Mike
yes

68 SS L78 hardtop
68 Malibu
69 COPO Chevelle

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 07, 10:54 PM
Tech Team
Mike

Doesn't look like a bad builder from the pictures I saw.
Mike

Mike Bond
ACES Charter Member #99
69 Chevelle SS396 Fathom Green
69 El-Camino SS 396 Black
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 07, 7:02 PM
mr
Senior Tech Team
Don

Thumbs up Re: 69 Kansas City trim tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurstL78 View Post
I am currently looking at a 1969 SS built at the Leeds plant and it has the [L] on the trim tag, and the guy is telling me that he read on this site where it was proven that all 1969's built at Kansas City with an [L] on the trim tag were SS cars.

I'm not trying to start an arguement but could someone show me the proof of this because I can't find it on here anywhere.I know there is strong reason to believe this to be true, but I don't remember seeing where it had been proven, thanks. Van
Although there is no "definite hard core proof" ........ I have never personally seen,
"a Kansas City/Leeds built 1969-1972 Super Sport, that does'nt have the [L] code, on the trim tag" .......

I certainly would'nt buy one of these 1969-1972 model Chevelle's, built at the Kansas/Leeds plant, thinking it is a real Super Sport, unless it did have the [L] coded trim tag ..... thats my opinion, Don.

Unless the car has been totally stripped by professionals, there should be some leftover signs, that the car was once a real 1969 Chevelle Super Sport 396 ............

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117798
https://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144363
https://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132952

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr View Post
The, "1971 Monte Carlo SS" and "1971 GMC Sprint SP".....
can apparently be added to the, "Leeds built cars with the [L] code, on the trim tag, list".......

1969-1972 Chevelle Super Sport ....
1969-1972 El Camino Super Sport .....
1971 Monte Carlo Super Sport ...............
1971 GMC Sprint SP... ( special performance ) .......

I've never seen, a documented 1969-1972 "Leeds built non-SS" with the [L] code ....

With any of these documents,......... as proof of, factory origin ..........
1.) an original buildsheet .......
2.) the original P-O-P .......
3.) the original number matching engine ..... w/ partial v.i.n# .......

I've never seen,a documented 1969-1972 "Leeds built Super Sport" without the [L] code.

It is my opinion, if a 1969-1972 Chevelle/ El Camino/ Monte Carlo, "built at Leeds" does not have the [L] code, on the trim tag, the car has about 0 % chance of being, a real factory built Super Sport....

Other people, don't agree....but they have, " no real hard core proof ", either....
..."just pure speculation"...

Remember this is only, speculation, but if the "original trim tag" that came on a,
Kansas built 1969-72 Chevelle/ El Camino/ Monte Carlo, and it has the [L] code on the factory trim tag, I speculate that car, quiet possibly could be a, real Leeds built "Super Sport".......Don.
__________________________________________________ _______________
__________________________________________________ _______________

Other than the "thousands", of false e-bay sellers claims,
of having "REAL Kansas/ Leeds built Chevelle Super Sports", that don't have the [L] code on their trim tags...

Out of possibly 30,000 original "Leeds/ Kansas factory" built 1969-1972 Chevelle'/ El Camino Super Sports, and 1971 Monte Carlo' Super Sports, there is just (1) car, that confuses me..........

I have heard of (1) legitimate Leeds/ Kansas built 1969 Chevelle SS396, claiming to be an original factory built Super Sport that does NOT have the [L] code on the trim tag, but the owner has no buildsheet ......
but the car is supposedly number matching, has the protect-o-plate' and the original bill of sale ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by spi7 View Post
I've got a 1969 KAN matching numbers and it has no [L] on the tag. I have the pop and the original bill of sale. The guy I bought it off owned it since 1979. Not saying the cowl tag has ever been changed. Andy, I'll e-mail you some pictures if you want.
The only opinion I have on this car, since I have'nt seen any factory documents, but from the picture I saw,
it appears to be, a "real nice" original lookin' 1969 Chevelle ? ? ....... Don.
__________________________________________________ _____

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 07, 9:01 PM
mr
Senior Tech Team
Don

Smile Re: 69 Kansas City trim tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr View Post
Although there is no "definite hard core proof" ........ I have never personally seen,
"a Kansas City/Leeds built 1969-1972 Super Sport, that does'nt have the [L] code, on the trim tag" .......

I certainly would'nt buy one of these 1969-1972 model Chevelle's, built at the Kansas/Leeds plant, thinking it is a real Super Sport, unless it did have the [L] coded trim tag ..... thats my honest opinion, Don.
some Leeds "trim tag" example's ........
1969 Chevelle SS396 [L-78]

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-...QQcmdZViewItem

1970 Chevelle SS454 [LS-6]

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-...QQcmdZViewItem

1971 Monte Carlo SS454 [LS-5]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleWhiteSS454 View Post
To my knowledge, Montes weren't assembled at Kansas (Leeds) until 1971.
I have buildsheets and pictures of cowl tags for 1971 Monte Carlo SS cars built at Kansas, and yes they all have the "L" on the cowl tags.

The image below is one example:

I've read the previous topics discussing the "L" on Kansas-built cars' cowl tags, as they pertain to SS Chevelles.
I had brought this very topic up on the First Generation Monte Carlo Club forums and the response, although limited, was that all '71 built SS Montes had the "L".
No responses from owners with non-SS to say one way or the other, unfortunately.~ Nate Z.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 4416 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.