Need help to id this engine? - Chevelle Tech
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 07, 9:21 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Steve

Need help to id this engine?

I have what is supposed to be a 327 in a 68 Elco can anybody tell me what this stampped code means? VI 028 HF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 07, 12:01 PM
Senior Tech Team
Mike

Re: Need help to id this engine?

VI 028 HF

V - Flint Engine plant
10 - October
28 - Day of month
HF - 327-275 HP RPO L30

I take your word its a 327 but fyi, the suffix HF had many uses and non were 327's for the Chevelle/Elky.

It also coded a 350, so if you can find the casting number and date codes on the block, we may be able to confirm the 327 engine.

Are there any other codes on the pad along with the engine code? That will tell us the year of application.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 07, 6:12 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Steve

Cool Re: Need help to id this engine?

I checked and I did not see any other numbers on the pad on the right side on the front of the engine. I did look for numbers on the back of the engine and here they are. On the right rear J246 and on the left side 8892657.

From what I was told by the fella I bought the elco from he had some one that looks at vehicles for buyers and according to him he believes it is a block that was cast in 66 and it is a 327/275 and was coded for a vett but that in 68 some 327's were basically grabbed off the shelf and installed in different vehicles as they needed them and with the 350 comming along they were clearing out as many 327's as they could so quite a few 327's that were coded for one vehicle ended up in something else. Basically I'm just trying to confirm what I actually have in the Elco and when I saw the HF code I thought it was a 350. it would be great if it's the original engine but it's not the end of the world if it's not. If I can find out just what this engine is it would be greatly appreciated.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 07, 8:08 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Steve

After double checking the casting number is 3892657 and from what I can find in the search the date code does make it a 10/24/66 build. So along with the casting number and now knowing the date code I would assume it is an actual 327 but thats as far as I have gotten. I still don't know what The casting numbers mean however I guess the HF indicates a 275 HP engine. Let me know if we can narrow it down. Thanks, steve
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 07, 10:05 AM
Senior Tech Team
Mike

J246 means Oct 24, 1966 cast so it would go in a 1967 model vehicle

Now, the only model that used a HF suffix in 1967 is the Impala. So thats what it is, 67 full size 327-275 L30 with powerglide trans and A.I.R.

The vette HF was used in 1965 and this engine is too late to be that.

fyi
The uses for the HF suffix
HF - 327-300 hp 1965 Corvette
HF - 327-275 hp 1966 Passenger (full size cars)
HF - 327-275 hp 1967 " <------------------yours fits here
HF - 327-275 hp 1968 "
HF - 350-250 hp 1969 Camaro
HF - 350-250 hp 1969 Nova
HF - 350-170 hp 1978 Pontiac LM1
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 07, 6:12 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Steve

Thumbs up Re: Need help to id this engine?

Thanks Mike. Now that I know it's not the original engine I now have more options on which engine to build and run in the Elco. It will be between the 327 or a 350 010 engine I have sitting. Again Thanks, Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 4553 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.