1970 Baltimore trim tag code...[B D] - Page 3 - Chevelle Tech
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 90 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 07, 1:49 PM Thread Starter
mr
Senior Tech Team
Don

Smile Re: 1970 Baltimore trim tag code...[B D]

[Posted] July, 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELLI View Post
You are lucky you have the build sheet, most are long gone. You really cannot tell anything too great from the VIN and Cowl tag in 70. But the buildsheet will tell all. I can help with the tags, but hopefully one of the buildsheet guru's here will help you with that.

VIN

1 = Chevrolet
36 = Malibu
37 = V-8 2 Dr. Sport Coupe
0 = 1970
B = Baltimore Assembly Plant
126084 = Assembly sequence number, all plants started at 100,000

Cowl plate

ST = style line
70 = 1970
13637 = V-8 Chevrolet Malibu Sports Coupe

B= Baltimore Plant
502589 = Body Sequence Number
BDY = Body Line

TR = Trim Line
756 = Black Bucket vinyl seat interior

PNT = Paint Line
48 = Forest Green Metallic Upper color
48 = Forest Green Metallic Lower color

12B = Assembly date 2nd week of December 1969

B D 0139 = These are option codes that no one currently has decoded.
------------------
Mat Ellison
Lincoln, Ne
70 SS 396 Chevelle
62 Impala Sport Coupe
Aces #2424
Quote:
[B D 0139] The Data Processing number, was used to keep track of the Vehicle on the Assembly line.
......An "extremely late" built [12B], Baltimore L-78 Chevelle SS.......with the [B D] Trim Tag code.........Don...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr70 View Post
B D 0139 = is the Data Processing number, not option code.This was solely used to keep track of the Vehicle on the Assembly line. It became meaningless once it left assembly.

I know this car, [VIN#10B126084] I have it's buildsheet, and it does look like an authentic 1970 L-78.

This car is VERY unique, in that it has a VERY late build date for the L-78. Very contraversial.

Z15 SS 454 CONVER. is odd, in that only 454 LS-5 and LS-6 recieved this code, but it seems Baltimore was redundant sometimes, and listed this code improperly.
I have other Z25 cars with this Z15 code as well. Yours wouldn't be the first.
------------------
Rick Peters
ACES#175

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 90 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 07, 1:19 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BlueSS454
Re: 1970 Baltimore trim tag code...[B D]

Here is another wrench to throw into the works here. Monte Carlo's built in Baltimore have.....B T.....on them. I have 1 plate I swiped off a car at the junkyard, I found another there that had it also.

Tom Rightler, MCC VP & Newsletter Editor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Best ET: [email protected] MPH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #33 of 90 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 07, 8:04 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Timothy

I dont think anyone touched on this yet but if so I appoligize.

What about El Camino's?

Mine has "B" only on trim tag. I have a copy of the original MSO and it points to 454 engine which means car/truck is definately an SS.

??

Any opinions?

Timothy

post #34 of 90 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 07, 12:12 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dean

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr View Post
[Posted] July, 2002

......An "extremely late" built [12B], Baltimore L-78 Chevelle SS.......with the [B D] Trim Tag code.........Don...
Just proves what I always assumed that the L78 and Ls6 chevelles were at one time going down the assembly line together.As one was being phazed in the other getting phazed out.BTW my ls6 has the BD on the cowl tag too.

OLD GOLD
post #35 of 90 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 07, 10:01 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Troy

FWIW, I have a '70 SS convertible with build sheet, L-34, No stripe car with only the "B" on the cowl tag.
post #36 of 90 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 07, 1:09 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

My 70 SS454 LS6 car has BD on the cowl tag as well...

post #37 of 90 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 07, 1:38 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Doug

Ebay # 300119206496,another B D Balto. built Z-15 4spd car,only 1 week apart from my B D car.

70 SS 454 LS-5 M-22 Bornwith Drivetrain-Sold New Baldwin Chevrolet
72 SS 454 El Camino W Code-427 4spd.
60',1.46, [email protected] [email protected]

Elky at Cecil

Chevelle Resto Pics
post #38 of 90 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 07, 1:52 PM
Team Member
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS6-M22 View Post
Just proves what I always assumed that the L78 and Ls6 chevelles were at one time going down the assembly line together.As one was being phazed in the other getting phazed out.BTW my ls6 has the BD on the cowl tag too.
With all due respect the last documented L78 was a 12/8 car,the first known(and documented) LS6 was a 12/9 build.While that does not prove without doubt L78 production officially ended 12/8,it does serve as the defacto timeline.There are hundreds of (real) build sheets in the hands of historians and there are none known pre/post those dates that would validate simultaneous production.

JMHO
post #39 of 90 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 07, 4:08 PM
Tech Team
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdirks View Post

What about El Camino's?

Mine has "B" only on trim tag. I have a copy of the original MSO and it points to 454 engine which means car/truck is definately an SS.

??

Timothy
For what it is worth, My 70 LS-6 Camino has the B D codes. A known car in my area forever. I pulled the build sheet out myself and know it is a real car. Cranberry Red, Black Stripes, Cowl Hood, Buckets and console. I would think that there is no reason the El Camino would not follow the same rules as coupe and convertible. Two SS396 coupes I had recently also had the B D codes. All three are Baltimore cars. I also had a 70 Malibu with Buckets and console and I will check whith the new owner what that one has on it. I think it is a little early to formulate any opinions on what this code is, but it is interesting stuff.

Jeff Dotterer
Dated Components
Diamond Restored Judge
post #40 of 90 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 07, 5:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Andy

FWIW, all 69 baltimore hardtop bodies have the B. I believe it is related to the roof rail trim requirement or even the installation of the hardtop. Convertibles in 69 did not receive the B. maybe that trend carries over from 69. take it easy, Andy
post #41 of 90 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 07, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
mr
Senior Tech Team
Don

Thumbs up Re: 1970 Baltimore trim tag code...[B D]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Judge1 View Post
For what it is worth, My 70 LS-6 Camino has the B D codes. A known car in my area forever. I pulled the build sheet out myself and know it is a real car. Cranberry Red, Black Stripes, Cowl Hood, Buckets and console.

I would think that there is no reason the El Camino would not follow the same rules as coupe and convertible.

Two SS396 coupes I had recently also had the B D codes. All three are Baltimore cars. I also had a 70 Malibu with Buckets and console and I will check with the new owner what that one has on it.

I think it is a little early to formulate any opinions on what this code is, but it is interesting stuff.

Jeff Dotterer
Dated Components
Diamond Restored Judge
Apparently, some 1970 L34/ 350hp Baltimore SS396 Chevelle's, also got the [ B D ] code .....

This "L34/M21" is dated [ 11 C ] Nov.14, 1969 ......This car was on e-bay, in April & May '07' ........

I "did not" see this cars, trim tag, just taking the 'sellers word', hopefully he told the truth
......Don.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr View Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting
#ZL3-ZL2-L34-M21-A51-D55-D88-F41-G80-G94-J50-JL2-[54 11-14]-#119584
1.) Assembly plant (Baltimore)
2.) Zone number (14)
3.) Dealer number (163)
4.) Dealer name/address;
Fouke Chevrolet Inc.
101-111 W. Main St.
Hancock, Md. 21750

xxx customer order

[ trim tag info ]
ST 70 13637 B422717 BDY

TR 756 75 75 PNT

11C B D 0272

post #42 of 90 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 07, 11:10 PM
Senior Tech Team
Shawn

I wonder if there is anyone on this site that was on the assembly line in Baltimore building these cars in 70-72. perhaps they can confirm?

1971 Chevy Chevelle SS 402, TH 400. Nevada Silver, with Black Stripes
1967 Chevy Malibu Convertible, 350, TH 400, Bolero Red/Red interior car w/black top
2004 Chevy Silverado Reg. Cab Short Bed 4x4
post #43 of 90 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 07, 7:23 AM
Team Member
Rick

Garage

Here's an example of what I believe is a fake (reproduction) Baltimore cowl tag.

69 Chevelle SS396 L78 4-speed, Post Sedan, Black W/black vinyl bench seat. (Under restoration)
69 Chevelle SS396 L78 4-speed Post Sedan, Silver, black vinyl bench seat. Berger car
70 Chevelle SS454 LS6, M22, 4.10, Forest Green, Green buckets. (Nearing completion)
69 Chevelle SS 396 L35 Post Sedan, Silver, Blue bench, 4-spd (Sold)
post #44 of 90 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 07, 9:59 PM
Senior Tech Team
Mike

Quote:
I wonder if there is anyone on this site that was on the assembly line in Baltimore building these cars in 70-72. perhaps they can confirm?
LOL
There is a guy a near me who worked at Flint Assembly in 1970 and retired in the 80's. I had a 1970 El Camino SS 396 (Leeds) back in 1998 and asked him about the trim tag. He looked at that and had no idea what it was, I had to tell him. He confirmed the build sheet was what they used, said it was taped to car. I can't recall exactly what he did but he said he put them together because he perked up when he saw the elky. He was not really helpful, I think 99% of the guys were just robots and cars meant nothing to them. There probably a handful of guys in the plants who had any idea what the data trim tag represented.

Last edited by elcamino; Jun 13th, 07 at 10:11 PM.
post #45 of 90 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 07, 7:11 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Timothy

Quote:
FWIW, I have a '70 SS convertible with build sheet, L-34, No stripe car with only the "B" on the cowl tag.
Jun 4th, 07 11:12 PM
Quote:
mine is no stripes with only the B
My Elky was born without ducted hood and stripes (B only). Maybe we are on to something.

Do all of the afore mentioned "BD" cars have ducted hood, and\or, stripes?

Timothy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 404 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.