engine pad # - Chevelle Tech
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 06, 3:30 PM Thread Starter

engine pad #

I have pulled the engine out of my 69 chevelle to replace the freeze plugs and thought I'd check the numbers. the casting # is 3855961 which could be a late sixties 396 but the engine code has me stumped. To422edh the engine vin# 6a169746. Sisnct this does not match the car vin I'm assuming it is a replacement engine but what? Can any body help?
I have searching the threads and archives here for two days and gone to every link I could find but I don't find EDH any where.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 06, 3:43 PM
Tech Team
Mike

Re: engine pad #

Motor is a 66 396-325 HP Man-Trans. The H at the end of the ED Stands for Holley Equipped.
Mike

Mike Bond
ACES Charter Member #99
69 Chevelle SS396 Fathom Green
69 El-Camino SS 396 Black
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 06, 6:46 AM Thread Starter

Thank you very much, this is my first chevelle and big block and I have alot to learn. I've had small block vettes for years but they are just to expensive now.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 06, 1:17 PM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

One thing you might want to know for the future if you ever need to replace the camshaft, 65/66 396 engines required a groove on the rear cam journal and rear cam bearing - much like the early 265/283 Chevys. Most 'off-the-shelf' cams for the 396 don't have this groove. In fact, most mfgs list their cams from 1967 and up because of this. Just something you might want to be aware of, don't order a camshaft for a 1969 Chevelle.

TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* Build Sheet Data Collection
* Author:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 4850 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.