Ss454? - Chevelle Tech
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 06, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Mike

Ss454?

I'm looking at a '71 SS454 Chevelle to purchase. It's gotta be a clone because of the following: no rear sway bar, no hood pins (domed but non-CI hood) and standard side view mirror (not remote). But everything else seems correct (emblems, wheels, dash, gauges, 12-bolt). There is no documentation. What am I to believe? And for the price, maybe it's worth having an SS454 clone if I can correct the other things?? Any thoughts? I can get the vin and data plate info on Monday. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 06, 1:23 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Re: Ss454?

If you haven't already done so, check out the following link on this site for a great discussion on identifying a true SS:

https://www.chevelles.com/shop/ss_ident.html

I bought my 71 454SS not knowing for sure if it was a true SS or not. It had all the indications that it was but no documentation (btw, it had a domed hood with no cowl induction - it did have the hood pins however). I didn't really care that much if it ended up being a clone or not. Oh, I knew if I ever sold it I could get more for the car if I found the buildsheet but that wasn't a factor for me in purchasing it originally. I just fell in love with the car because it was in great condition. I like the looks of those round tail lights. Anyway, later, as I was redoing the interior, I stumbled across a buildsheet on the transmission hump under the factory sound deadening material. It took a lot of patience but I managed to extract that lovely piece of paper from the evil clutches of that tar based crap and lo and behold it was a true SS afterall!

If you like the car and it's being offered at a decent price, buy it. Then, if you want, start upgrading parts until it's a great clone. Most folks won't know the difference anyway and you'll have the satisfaction of driving a fine undocumented SS Chevelle at the right price!

Good Luck!

Brad Frates
1971 SS454 Chevelle
Kenai, Alaska
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 06, 2:46 AM

The Domed Hoods Did Not Have Hood Pins Just Cowl Induction I Believe

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 06, 7:47 AM
Tech Team

The domed hood did not come with hood pins in early 1970 cars. After this all domed hoods came with hood pins. Your hood was probably taken from a 70 chevelle.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 06, 11:08 AM
Senior Tech Team
Mike

Hood pins are no indication one way or the other. All replacement hood come without pin holes.

No 1970 SS hoods (w/o CI) came with pins or could be ordered with hold-down pins. I had a late built 1970 SS (May 1970) and no pins...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 06, 5:57 PM

Hate to disappoint. All of the '71 Heavy Chevys came with a domed hood (non CI) and hood pins. My '71 LS5 also came with hood pins and it is a non-functional CI. I am trying to remember if I have any seen a domed hood for '71 or 72, function or non-functional CI, without them (but I would assume they do exist).

Just not a good indicator one way or the other.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 06, 6:02 PM

Excuse the second post so quickly but I was just looking at the promotional ads posted on this site at a different link.

All '71 SS cars, according to that ad, got the domed hood with hood pins. Functional CI, of course, was optional. So all of the SSs - 350's, 402's and 454's - apparently all got domed hood with pins.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 4853 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.