Another 136~138 68 car - Chevelle Tech
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 06, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Steamy

Unhappy Another 136~138 68 car

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevr...00533196QQrdZ1

I asked if he would look on the firewall under the heater box and email a pic of the # to me. There's also another Chevelle "expert" who stated this-

Q:Vin tags and trim tags do not always match. Thats a pretty common occurance as they went down the assembly line to find a trim tag for a non-ss car on a SS car. If the title and the stamped vin on the car match you have an ss car. The trim tag does NOT over ride the vin number. AlanJun-26-06

I didn't realize that it was a "common occurance" for trim tags not to match the VIN's. I learn something new from Ebay all the time!!

BillL

If you keep on livin', you're gonna get old.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
Good livin' will speed it up, but it's worth it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Showroom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 06, 10:42 PM
Senior Tech Team
Mark

Send a message via MSN to 138car Send a message via Yahoo to 138car
Re: Another 136~138 68 car

I would be led to believe it is a 138 car. That may have gotten a new dog house. Iíve seen stories of people risking and getting caught on a VIN swap on a finished "Hemi `Cuda". Would someone really risk it on a.. for lack of a better term "Junker"? The common practice comment is comical. The body by fisher tag does reflect an interesting Malibu. I maybe naive but, I doubt VIN swaps are all that common. Seems very risky, but the world doesnít seem to have a shortage of idiots.

Mark Hickman

- gone

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 06, 10:49 PM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

By the time a car got from Fisher Body to the assembly line much of the trim (inside and out) had been installed. Since the SS was a separate series in from 66-68, any non-SS trimmed car would have had to have been pulled from the line. Body date on the plate is 01B and sequence number of 119xxx. I have two other Fremont 138xx tags and VIN plates, one 12B with sequence of 121xxx and one 12D with sequence of 124xxx. Kind of shoots down a car built a month later (by the body plate) with a sequence number 2,000 units sooner.

Hard to say which one of the two is original to the car. The guy that wrote the first question with the statement about the two is an idiot. When he answered your question, he didn't say it was a SS396 car, just that it had a 13837 VIN. Just because the front fenders say it's a 307...

I'd almost bet it is a 13637 car and someone replaced the dash or VIN plate - regardless of what it's titled as. The DMV only looks at the VIN anyway and not the body plate. If only the front sheet metal was donated from a Malibu (307 emblems, non-blacked out grille, etc.) the body plate wouldn't 'normally' go along for the ride. The 10-bolt rear is another questionable item. Car is in such poor condition, it's hard to see much of anything.

He said he'd take more pictures... Know anyone that can tell the difference between 307 and 396 frame mounts in a 68? They might be a giveaway

TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998

* Build Sheet Data Collection
* Author:

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 06, 12:31 AM

i can't imagine someone would have went to the trouble to swap out a VIN on this car. if i had in my possession a 138 VIN i certainly wouldn't waste it on this thing. i would look for the most convincing '68 SS clone i could find with all the right stuff and swap it over and make a cool $5k without even trying that hard.
but if the above post about VIN/ build dates not jiving is correct, then i guess someone did swap the VIN. hard to believe, this car doesn't look like anyone has done anything to it in years. the pics of the VIN and cowl plates have gunk and dirt all over 'em.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 06, 7:33 AM
Senior Tech Team
Mike

Why does anyone think the VIN was swapped recently? Could have been 25 yrs ago.

I would like to see whats holding the VIN plate down and the con vin's. There wre a lot of 1966 thru 69 small block 4sp cars with buckets, console and gages. I recall 2 people back then who had cars like this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 06, 8:23 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

I don't buy it!! What kind of a vin is that????? Missing the plant code and the year of mfg is prior to the sequence??? I would like to see an original title. Looks like an old rusty malibu that someone made an attempt to make it a 138 car. Just my 2 cents.

TC# 3439
MCC# 742
ACES# 7415
1968 SS396 138 code 408/M20/3.73 Truetrac

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 06, 2:16 PM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68chvlss396
I don't buy it!! What kind of a vin is that????? Missing the plant code and the year of mfg is prior to the sequence??? I would like to see an original title. Looks like an old rusty malibu that someone made an attempt to make it a 138 car. Just my 2 cents.
Huh? The VIN plate is correct for a 1968 Fremont car. Both year (8) and plant (Z) are present. Besides the 136xx body plate the build date is way too late for the VIN sequence number. Last digit in sequence number is chopped off.

glennslanaker:
Quote:
i would look for the most convincing '68 SS clone i could find with all the right stuff and swap it over and make a cool $5k without even trying that hard
You wouldn't really do something that's illegal like swap VIN plates, would you?

TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998

* Build Sheet Data Collection
* Author:

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 06, 2:59 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Dale, I stand corrected! I thought the Z was a 7. My eyes have been getting worse as age creeps up on me. I have never noticed a space between the 13837 and the rest of the vin before?

TC# 3439
MCC# 742
ACES# 7415
1968 SS396 138 code 408/M20/3.73 Truetrac

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 06, 10:07 PM

Yeah that 68 car looks bogus, but I don't think the guy claims it to be a SS either?

Seems like a lot of people refer to it as a '136' or '138.' It is an '6' or an '8' difference=1 wrong didgit. Not 3 wrong didgits!

I have an old 65 Biscayne, long ago parted out rusted away shell in my junkyard. Nothing special, not an SS, no one claims it to be. The car will never see the road again. This car has been sitting for 30 years and no one has tampered with the tags.

Cowl tag says it is a V8 = 15411
VIN tag says it is a 6cyl = 15311

It had V8 engine mounts. I guess no one on the line noticed the difference between a 6 or 8 cyl?

Explain that one?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 06, 11:08 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

But saying it's a 138 Chevelle IS saying it's an SS (in 1966-68)

Yeah those ol' Biscaynes were pretty screwed up.

JUST KIDDING

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 06, 3:32 PM
Senior Tech Team
Mark

Send a message via MSN to 138car Send a message via Yahoo to 138car

I guess he got tired of the questions and relisted it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevr...02841650QQrdZ1

Mark Hickman

- gone

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 06, 8:53 PM

dale, i'm not saying i would swap out a vin, i'm saying if i was criminally minded, that is what i would do; find an already done, mint condition clone to maximize my VIN plates worth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 4853 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.