68 Chevelle SS or not? - Page 7 - Chevelle Tech
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #91 of 103 (permalink) Old May 27th, 06, 8:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Re: 68 Chevelle SS or not?

A lot of 1st and 2nd time posters here on this thread, this car must be really special. One of one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 103 (permalink) Old May 27th, 06, 9:18 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Of course mistakes are made but that's not really the point.
The point is who is ever going to believe it.
Talk means nothing because anyone can say their Malibu is really an SS or anything else they want to say.

Even some former owners can and do forget or just say anything or anyone can say they said this or they said that so again, that really doesn't mean anything either.

The name of the game is to just enjoy the cars no matter what they were/are and don't even try to make anyone believe any fairy tails.

It's about time to put this one to bed I think.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #93 of 103 (permalink) Old May 27th, 06, 9:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rocky Hill

Well.........the 138 code designated a specific model, beings the SS396 was a model of car thru 68, where in 69 it became an option package. I believe you would have to be completely delusional to think a car would leave the factory with a VIN that designated the incorrect model!

A cowl/trim tag I can see, and have. But trying to say a 1968 136 car left the factory as an SS, is like saying your Chevy left the factory as a Buick.

Rocky

A Man And His Chevelle!
It's A Beautiful Thing.

TC Member #1530

post #94 of 103 (permalink) Old May 27th, 06, 10:19 PM
djw
Team Member
Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68SSismyname
......Most people wern't cloning SS's in the early 70's.
I was!

Just ridin' around. Wanna get in?

post #95 of 103 (permalink) Old May 27th, 06, 10:53 PM
Tech Team

While we are talking about mistakes at the GM plant,I am selling a 1970 Buick Riviera 455 carburetor for a stick transmission on Ebay.There were no manual transmissions installed in the 455 Rivieras in 1970.The carb ID numbers are 7040247.The 7 shows it to be a manual.Now,Buick can make mistakes but Chevy cant.
post #96 of 103 (permalink) Old May 27th, 06, 10:55 PM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

I think there's a bit more difference between the linkage on a QJet and a VIN series screw-up.

TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998

* Build Sheet Data Collection
* Author:

post #97 of 103 (permalink) Old May 27th, 06, 10:59 PM
Senior Tech Team
Mark

Send a message via MSN to 138car Send a message via Yahoo to 138car

The last 7 in 7040247 decodes to a 1970 455 Automatic, 7040243 is a 1970 455 Automatic, 7040246 is for a 455 Stage 1 automatic or manual.

Mark Hickman

- gone

post #98 of 103 (permalink) Old May 27th, 06, 11:08 PM
Tech Team

Even numbers automatic and odd numbers manual
post #99 of 103 (permalink) Old May 27th, 06, 11:26 PM
Senior Tech Team
Mark

Send a message via MSN to 138car Send a message via Yahoo to 138car

My mistake 7040243 is Manual. According to George Nenadovich, 7040247 decodes to a 1970 455 Automatic

Mark Hickman

- gone

post #100 of 103 (permalink) Old May 27th, 06, 11:36 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
I may be a first time poster but that doesn't mean I don't know a thing or two. Of course you will never be able to prove anything. The paper work is gone! But I just think it is silly to think that Chevy was the only car maker to not mess up. I'm sure a 68 car with a 6 as the 3rd number is 99.999% just a regular Chevelle, but there is that .001% chance somebody goofed. There are more ways to document a car besides vins. I do title histories and just find the original owners and talk to them or a family member!
I agree!! There is as much of a chance that my '02 Explorer is actually a rare 2002 Chevelle SS 4.6L that was mistakenly built by Ford. I am the original owner and can verify that it is an SS.
Quote:
Now that's proof!

'69 SS 396
'65 Triumph T100SR
'07 Triumph T100 Bonneville

USS ORIOLE MHC-55
MOMAU 12 DET 2
US Navy Minemen - "We lay the best and service the rest"
post #101 of 103 (permalink) Old May 27th, 06, 11:52 PM
Tech Team

I was at the shop today and the boss has me restoring a 66 GTO,a guy seen the car and stoped in about restoring his 68 Chevelle SS.After we talked awhile he asked me about the color of my car and the disc brakes and 12 bolt and the 136 vin,he told me he was the last owner of my 68 Chevelle Malibu.It was a special order car that came with a tach,ss wheels,12 bolt,4 speed,console and disc brakes.There were no ss emblems on the front or rear of the car from the factory and it has Malibu emblems in the door panels.I still dont know about the engine size.This car has alot of SS options but is a 136 car.The Chevelle I will be restoring for this guy is a 138 vin,we got the job.Now I have the car to compare parts and numbers and alot more missing parts from my car.I will keep in touch with what I find.I think the question here is what is special order
post #102 of 103 (permalink) Old May 28th, 06, 1:02 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

The book shows one even number carburetor for a 70 Buick 455 both mauual and auomatic - 7040246. (for stage 1 opt.)
For number 7040247 it just says "455 CU. IN. Riviera" but doesn't say either manual or automatic for that particular carburetor which is also odd.
It also shows 7040243 for a 70 - 455 CU. IN. manual trans. but doesn't say which 70 Buick.

Anyway IF the assembly plant would have let a Malibu out the door with all the SS options it would still be a clone allbeit a factoy built clone.

post #103 of 103 (permalink) Old May 28th, 06, 1:29 AM
Al
Administrator
Al McKenzie

I'm closing this. Scott (68pongto) has several accounts here to try and back up his own opinions.

very uncool and most troll-like.

Al
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 4945 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.