Cant figure out this VIN Tag - Chevelle Tech
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

5Likes
  • 1 Post By Alan F
  • 2 Post By Cam
  • 2 Post By Alan F

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 26th, 20, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Cant figure out this VIN Tag

I was looking at an Apparent late 60's Beaumont Convertible recently. But I could not figure out if this is really a Beaumont, and what its VIN Tag, and Trim tag mean. I looked through a bunch of information on this site and others. Its badged as a Beaumont, and looks like a Beaumont.

The problems is the Door Jam Tag, the red one, starts with a 6 and then is only 12 digits long. I don't know any car in this era that starts with a 6. If you ignore the 6 the VIN starts to make sense, except that it is not long enough.
The Firewall tag looks like the Canadian built ones, but I just don't know enough about these tags to figure them out.

I have a feeling most of this car is wrong, but, like I said, Just cant really figure this out.

If you are able to decode this, please also send some reference material that covers this, as I just cant seem to find the right material.

Thanks for any help ahead of time!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	673667009596.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	627998   Click image for larger version

Name:	736672-5-2.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	249.5 KB
ID:	628000  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 26th, 20, 10:49 AM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

Re: Cant figure out this VIN Tag

welcome to the site.
check out info in this link for your answers;
https://www.chevelles.com/forums/gts...%20tag%20codes

68-Malibu 427bbc/t4oo/3.73-12bolt/pro charger f1-r
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 26th, 20, 11:50 AM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

Ask these guys: https://m.facebook.com/groups/Chevelles.Beaumonts/

Our You Tube Vids:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 26th, 20, 12:01 PM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

7 is the first digit for a Beaumont. It’s a different division of GM. The rest of the numbers follow the conventions for GM A bodies.
NickeyChevelle likes this.

The biggest problem facing America today is that lies are so widely accepted as truths.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 26th, 20, 2:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the pointers!

My biggest concern is the 6 at the start of the 12 digit vin on the door. Its hard to match the door tag to the trim tag, and I cant find any GM cars of this era that start with 6. Any ideas on that #6?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 26th, 20, 3:50 PM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

In 1965 & 1966 in Canada, the 1st character of the V.I.N. is the model year. For example, if you own a 1966 Beaumont Custom V8 convertible, your VIN would start out 673667. There is no plant code in the VIN in 1965/66 because there only was one plant in Canada turning them out at that time (Oshawa, ON). The Ste. Thérèse PQ plant opened in 1965 & started producing big 1966 Chevrolets for the U.S. market only, complete with U.S. paint methods & materials.
For 1967 GM Canada adopted the same VIN sequence as the U.S. The model # was moved from the 1st character to the 6th, and the plant code was added as the 7th character in the VIN. 1 for Oshawa, 2 for Ste. Thérèse (who only made Big cars at that time)

The interior codes were different between the Chevelles & Beaumonts in 1966 because the Beaumont Custom & Sport Deluxe used a unique mixing of Chevelle seats & Le Mans door panels. 393 is probably Bronze bucket seats for a Beaumont SD (I need to see if I can find a reference, 391 is for black buckets) MM paint in 1966 is for Aztec Bronze, TP-10 is for a white convertible top. A51 makes your 736 Beaumont Custom into a Sport Deluxe (note that console was not coded because it was included automatically unless you had a 3-speed column shift). M35 is for Powerglide & therefore console on a Sport Deluxe. C06 is for a power top, which was very popular. Not coded on the trim tag: radio. Normally it would not have any reference on the trim tag unless Fisher Body had to rough in a rear antenna (U73). Also the engine option would not normally be coded on the trim tag that year unless it was an L34 396. The 283 or 327 (or 194 vs. 230 six) would not be indicated in the trim tag.
Dean and NickeyChevelle like this.

"The more you know,
the more you realize there is that you don't know." - Dad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TC Gold #120

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 26th, 20, 3:56 PM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

See this page on Oshawa VIN numbers.
1966 Chevelle VINS

6=1966
7=Beaumont
36=Custom (Malibu equivalent)
67=2 Dr convert
0=Oshawa
NickeyChevelle and 71350SS like this.

The biggest problem facing America today is that lies are so widely accepted as truths.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 27th, 20, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Wow! Thank you Guys! This is some real good information! Finding this history on these cars can be a real challenge. There seemed to be some consistency, but not to much... Thank you for all your help. I bookmarked those pages for future reference. Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in