L78 69 Chevelle - Chevelle Tech
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By Saltherring
  • 2 Post By Steve R

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 24th, 20, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Mike

Garage
L78 69 Chevelle

What are the distinguishing features of an L78 Chevelle? If you don't have the documentation and you know the engine and transmission isn't original, how do you tell? I've heard it should have a 3/8 fuel line with no return, a 6000 RPM tach, what else? Any and all opinions are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 24th, 20, 12:53 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ole

Garage
Re: L78 69 Chevelle

If the engine is original it should have a Winters Foundry aluminum intake with a 780 vacuum-secondary Holley carb and numerous internal differences; i.e., four bolt main block, solid lifter camshaft, forged 11:1 pistons, HD 'dimple' rods, forged/cross-drilled/Tufftrided crankshaft and rectangular port heads. '69 L78 Chevelle engines will also have a unique 37 amp alternator P/N 1100837, a distributor P/N 1111499, deep groove pulleys, an 8-inch diameter balancer and a HD 3-row radiator with tag stamped IA XJ 28 BO (M/T only). Manual trans L78 cars are also likely to have either 3.55 or 4.10 rear gears. 4.10 gears have a KK code stamped on the front of the passenger side axle tube and 3.55 gears feature the letters KF.
0069SS likes this.

First Posted to TC as Ole Birkland in Feb 1999
Aces 3383
1969 Chevelle SS396, L78, M22, KK 4.10 posi, F41, Blue Light Stereo, Tilt Column, Burgundy/Maroon w/Red Stripe, Black Bench Seat, PS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PDB, American Torque Thrust & BFG TA's, fully restored.

Last edited by Saltherring; May 24th, 20 at 1:10 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 24th, 20, 1:40 PM Thread Starter
Mike

Garage

I could only wish the engine was original. Its confirmed a 76 Daytona Yellow SS, with a 4 speed. I've confirmed the fuel line as a single 3/8 line with no return, it has the KF I.D. for the rear end for the 3:55 gears and the 6000 RPM tach that is original. Just wish I had the build sheet. Appreciate your input. Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	627824   Click image for larger version

Name:	Floorboard.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	627826   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200424_131727.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	627828  

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 24th, 20, 2:07 PM
Senior Tech Team

Unfortunately without the original drivetrain or documentation you will never be able make anything other than an educated guess. Even the presence of a 6000 redline tach and a certain size fuel line won’t hold much water since it can never be proven.

You are lucky it has an SS only paint color, calling it as SS and leaving it at that might be the best course of action. Once you go down the road of telling people it “might” be an L78 that will shift focus from what is verifiable to an abstract discussion based on a few, often odscure parts. That will tend to polarizes opinions and take away from the car.

Steve R
SSaywhn and IFLY like this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 24th, 20, 3:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ole

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSaywhn View Post
I could only wish the engine was original. Its confirmed a 76 Daytona Yellow SS, with a 4 speed. I've confirmed the fuel line as a single 3/8 line with no return, it has the KF I.D. for the rear end for the 3:55 gears and the 6000 RPM tach that is original. Just wish I had the build sheet. Appreciate your input. Thank you
Mike, I was wondering why your water pump and alternator brackets are configured for a '66-'68 car, rather than a '69. The '69 model year 396 had the 'long' water pump and the alternator on the passenger side. I would suppose whatever engine is in your car was removed from a pre-'69 car and they just used the parts that came with the engine. I think there is an engine photo in my 'garage', if you would like to see what the correct '69 water bump and brackets look like.

I am not criticizing your car, I'm simply making an observation.

First Posted to TC as Ole Birkland in Feb 1999
Aces 3383
1969 Chevelle SS396, L78, M22, KK 4.10 posi, F41, Blue Light Stereo, Tilt Column, Burgundy/Maroon w/Red Stripe, Black Bench Seat, PS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PDB, American Torque Thrust & BFG TA's, fully restored.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 24th, 20, 6:38 PM Thread Starter
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltherring View Post
Mike, I was wondering why your water pump and alternator brackets are configured for a '66-'68 car, rather than a '69. The '69 model year 396 had the 'long' water pump and the alternator on the passenger side. I would suppose whatever engine is in your car was removed from a pre-'69 car and they just used the parts that came with the engine. I think there is an engine photo in my 'garage', if you would like to see what the correct '69 water bump and brackets look like.

I am not criticizing your car, I'm simply making an observation.
It was that way when I bought it. The previous owner bought the car in the early 80's and he stated it was this way when he bought the car as well. I'm sure the original engine is long gone by now. I'm just trying to puzzle the pieces together to find out exactly what I have. Car was painted in the early 90's to its current color. Its far from perfect but is driver condition which is what I wanted. Engine is from a 68 model car according to my research. You can see from the hole in the bell housing that its been ran hard at one time. Car still runs great, but it does have plans to going back to yellow at some point.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200328_195257 (2).jpg
Views:	7
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	627832   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200328_200620 (2).jpg
Views:	7
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	627834   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200328_202058.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	627836  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 24th, 20, 7:49 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

Obviously it was not built in Canada, but if it was originally sold in Canada you can get some info on it.

Our You Tube Vids:

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 24th, 20, 10:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

from the engine stamps, it's a 68 engine and the IV and the end of the build date signifies it's a 396-325 engine from a full size chevy built at the Flint assembly plant. Good luck with your car and enjoy!!

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in