72 Build Sheet Code Questions - Chevelle Tech
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

5Likes
  • 2 Post By Cam
  • 1 Post By LTJOHN
  • 1 Post By LTJOHN
  • 1 Post By DaleM

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 20, 8:01 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
John

72 Build Sheet Code Questions

I have a 72 Malibu build sheet, found it in the back seat. I can decode most of it by searching previous post and on Chevelle Stuff but I'm unable to find some information and looking for help.

U63 AM Radio, is there a code or package that would show if it had rear Speakers and also if it had a radio with Fader control?

PL2 E78x14 B/WAL 2&2 Box #56 Wheel Trim, just has a BW and .. . 3 dots? Black Walls with Hub Caps?

Other boxes just have a number and a code, example Box 42 has AZ, Box 75 has a K.

Not that its going to matter much but I'd like to get the interior back to as close to original as I can and curious about the others.

Thanks
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 20, 5:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Re: 72 Build Sheet Code Questions

It's always helpful to know what factory your car was built at.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
"I would rather have questions I can't answer than have answers I can't question" :R.Feynman
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 20, 5:05 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
John

Sorry, I stopped checking for responses after about 5 days and got consumed by the other stuff going on. KC Build, AC car. When we got the car it had a blue light special radio (K-Mart Sparkomatic) That went into the trash. All I could find locally that worked was a
U80. I don't know if it will run both front (2 front AC car) and rear speakers. That's why I was looking for a code for speakers.
U63 AM is 7933241 Delco# 21APB1
U80 AM is 7933501 Delco# 21APBK1 W/Fader

Wheel trim I'm not sure about...not able to find P01 ,P02 or PA3 on the sheet.

Thanks
John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Build Sheet.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	620020  

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 20, 8:20 PM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

Hey, you've got factory D88 stripes on a non-SS Malibu!!!

I just see U63 on the build sheet plus C60 a/c so I'm wondering if it was the same as 1970 models in that you would get a pair of front speaker on the dash, operating in mono. It was done due to clearance for the center a/c duct. Normally just a single central speaker in the front.

Judging by the equipment and noting the absolute base tire with no optional wheel equipment (no P01, P02 ZK7 or whatever) it sounds like whoever ordered your car was planning on mags or something. Why not? I know several people back in the 70's that ordered their Camaros with all the goodies they wanted, plus base tires with dog dish caps (one got Cragar SS wheels, the other got big Rally Wheels).
71350SS and 24hrsparkey like this.

"The more you know,
the more you realize there is that you don't know." - Dad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TC Gold #120

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 20, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
John

Ok, so the U63 only had the 2 front speakers, AC car. The non AC cars you'd get 1 front and 1 back, U80 w/fader? It's got the 2 front but both have bad voice coils. Someone installed 4ohm kick panel speakers and wired them all together....can't do that.

I did find some hub caps on Chevellestuff. #994138 that appear to be the ones the car had, still had 2 of them on it when we got it.
It also had dual exhaust.
LeoP likes this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 20, 11:37 PM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

Sounds good! The L48 was only single exhaust in 71/72 for Chevelles & Montes. Probably one of the first things addressed on your car by the original owner. Heck, in 1972 it would be in style to install a set of Thrush Outsiders side-pipes on day 2. Or headers with Purple Hornies header mufflers.

The hubcaps would be the kind known as Rally Moons. They look like Baby Moon hubcaps but had the Chevy bowtie stamped in the center. Debuted on 1970 Camaros and extended to Novas & Chevelles for '71. Last used on '73s.

I also notice YF8 on your build sheet. Not only did your Malibu come with D88 stripes, they specified the alternate color (black) over the default (white) with your paint combo. Er, what color was your '72 originally?

"The more you know,
the more you realize there is that you don't know." - Dad

TC Gold #120

Last edited by Cam; Mar 21st, 20 at 11:59 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 8:52 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
John

53 Placer Gold. It had the Thrush mufflers on it ( My choice back in the day ) but not the side pipes, stock exhaust manifolds.
Original motor but not the tranny. 12 bolt 2:73
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TrimTag.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	620192  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 2:53 PM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

Red face Re: 72 Build Sheet Code Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTJOHN View Post
I have a 72 Malibu build sheet, found it in the back seat. I can decode most of it by searching previous post and on Chevelle Stuff but I'm unable to find some information and looking for help.

U63 AM Radio, is there a code or package that would show if it had rear Speakers and also if it had a radio with Fader control?

PL2 E78x14 B/WAL 2&2 Box #56 Wheel Trim, just has a BW and .. . 3 dots? Black Walls with Hub Caps?

Other boxes just have a number and a code, example Box 42 has AZ, Box 75 has a K.

Not that its going to matter much but I'd like to get the interior back to as close to original as I can and curious about the others.

Thanks
John
* If rear speakers were ordered they would show in box 107 as U80 AUX RR SPEAKER
* Box 56 is for the standard E78x14 blackwall bias tires and since no optional wheel or wheel covers are present it would have standard hubcaps. That's confirmed by the wheel color in box 79 that matches the lower body color. Chevelles with no optional hubcaps ordered had wheels painted same as lower body color; those with option wheel covers were painted black.
*As for the other broadcast codes such as those in Box 42 and 75, different plants used those for whatever they thought the affected workstations needed to know as they are not labeled with any specifics.
* For example, of the 47 1972 non-SS build sheets I have data on from KC, 8 have AZ in box 42 (along with AN, AV, BR, BS, CF, CH, CM, and CR) and is found on base Chevelle sport coupes, Malibu convertibles, Malibu El Caminos, and Monte Carlos. All with L48 engines but I have three L48 engines with AN instead.
* I have 25 72 KC non-SS sheets with K in box 75 but, again, a variety of models (13437, 13637, 13669) and a variety of engines. FWIW, neither Baltimore nor Van Nuys put anything in box 75.

Confusing, eh?

TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998

* Build Sheet Data Collection
* Author:

Last edited by DaleM; Mar 22nd, 20 at 3:11 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 3:45 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
John

Thanks Dale, yep a bit confusing...
The wheels on the car did have the lower body color.
Actually what you stated makes sense that some boxes or blocks would hold specific information for different plants.
Box 23 Exhaust CF?? Crossflow? I know on some the lead pipe would join up with the passenger side right after the tranny. Just curious, it's going to have duals when it's done.

Thanks
John
71350SS likes this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 4:19 PM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTJOHN View Post
Thanks Dale, yep a bit confusing...
The wheels on the car did have the lower body color.
Actually what you stated makes sense that some boxes or blocks would hold specific information for different plants.
Box 23 Exhaust CF?? Crossflow? I know on some the lead pipe would join up with the passenger side right after the tranny. Just curious, it's going to have duals when it's done.

Thanks
John
CF is just a broadcast code, not an abbreviation or acronym. Other exhaust broadcast codes used we CP, CD, CG, GF, etc.
71350SS likes this.

TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998

* Build Sheet Data Collection
* Author:

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 4:35 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
John

Ok, thanks again Dale!!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 7:12 PM

Speaking of that gearing : My 68 SS chevelle had the 2:73 posi and a vacume gauge on the automatic trans shifter console .
I was about 17ish .
Did not know any car came with that autobahn gearing .
BUT that explains why it would go 63mph in 1st and bury the speedo in second. Again I was 17.
Also explains the first time to 75-80 dragoway . Only used 2 speeds and had a miserable time slip. 15:50 . Arrrg.

Carry on gents .

1968 396/325 SS Chevelle Car. Non original 427 engine now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in