1972 door VIN/data decal - Chevelle Tech
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 20, 2:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Gary

1972 door VIN/data decal

Iím getting ready to order a new door data decal for my 1972 Chevelle coupe. The original is long gone so I have nothing to compare to. I know the 72 decals are a little different than the 69-71 since it lists the weight of the car. Does anyone have a picture of an original 72 Chevelle door decal? Does engine size (SB vs. BB) change the weight listed on the decal? I want to make sure I order the correct one with the correct specs. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 20, 9:53 AM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

Re: 1972 door VIN/data decal

I would think a big block car would be about 250 lbs more than the small block (L65) SS. The door decal shown below is of a new 1972 Chevelle SS (L65 350) with 404 miles.

Go to the Gm Heritage site & download the 1972 Chevelle PDF & pour over it. Link: https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/doc...t-Chevelle.pdf
Page 25 lists performance weight of different drivetrain combos, Weights and Dimensions are further explained starting page 96. Page 100 list option weights but doesn't go as far to break down the front / rear weight differences, that is done in great detail in the AMA Specs section around page 131.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P3160011.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	617174  
GotGrunt likes this.

"The more you know,
the more you realize there is that you don't know." - Dad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TC Gold #120

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Cam; Feb 20th, 20 at 10:09 AM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 20, 10:33 AM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGrunt View Post
Iím getting ready to order a new door data decal for my 1972 Chevelle coupe. The original is long gone so I have nothing to compare to. I know the 72 decals are a little different than the 69-71 since it lists the weight of the car. Does anyone have a picture of an original 72 Chevelle door decal? Does engine size (SB vs. BB) change the weight listed on the decal? I want to make sure I order the correct one with the correct specs. Thanks!
An outfit called "ECS Automotive Concepts" makes some really nice reproductions of the original Federal Compliance decal. They even print your data on the decal.

Visit: ECS Automotive Concepts - Late Model Replacement VIN Door Decals

Our You Tube Vids:

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 20, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
I would think a big block car would be about 250 lbs more than the small block (L65) SS. The door decal shown below is of a new 1972 Chevelle SS (L65 350) with 404 miles.

Go to the Gm Heritage site & download the 1972 Chevelle PDF & pour over it. Link: https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/doc...t-Chevelle.pdf
Page 25 lists performance weight of different drivetrain combos, Weights and Dimensions are further explained starting page 96. Page 100 list option weights but doesn't go as far to break down the front / rear weight differences, that is done in great detail in the AMA Specs section around page 131.
Thanks for the link and picture! I just noticed the weight rating on the sticker is GVWR, not curb weight. My car was originally an L48 automatic with AC. Do you think the specs listed on that particular sticker would be the same as what was originally on mine. Also, the date on that sticker says "03-72" and the classification is listed as "passenger" but I have also seen other stickers list the date "3/72" and the classification as "passenger car". I am guessing this format varied by the assembly plant. My car is a January 1972 Arlington build. I may be overthinking this but I want it to be as accurate as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickeyChevelle View Post
An outfit called "ECS Automotive Concepts" makes some really nice reproductions of the original Federal Compliance decal. They even print your data on the decal.

Visit: ECS Automotive Concepts - Late Model Replacement VIN Door Decals
That's exactly who I plan on using. I have ordered their door stickers for 2 of my previous Chevelles and I was always satisfied with the quality
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 20, 12:04 PM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

Gary, good on you for being observant and desiring accuracy. The GVWR is the maximum allowable vehicle weight and the value does not change. GVW (gross vehicle weight) on the other hand is an actual measurement of vehicle weight and will vary according the body style, options & drivetrain, driver & gas load.

I wouldn't be surprised if the verbiage on the door decal is slightly different from plant to plant. The programmers that set up the application to generate the typed portion of the blue tag at each plant could be forgiven for using a / vs. a -, and for saying "Passenger" as opposed to "Passenger Car". Back in those days programmers didn't sit in front of screens, they sat at a card punch machine with a keyboard and transcribed the program coding from the back of their cigarette package that they whipped up while on break. Check out the vintage I.T. scene at GM back in the 1960s:

You actually had to complete circuits to registers to run the thing.

"The more you know,

TC Gold #120

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 20, 1:09 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

My 72 original door decal does not have all that information. It only includes build date and VIN. My car also did not have the seat belt warning system. Some more research may help?

Team Chevelle Member (20 years and counting...
)

'72 Chevelle Convertible (Mohave Gold) (all SS options, no SS badging)

2004 Pontiac GTO (Quicksilver) RIP April 2013
--> Replaced with 2004 Pontiac GTO (Barbados Blue)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche (Sunset Orange Metallic)
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 20, 2:12 PM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

The seat belt warning light & buzzer became a Federal requirement on January 1st, 1972. Prior to that they ran with separate seat & shoulder belts (your convertible probably doesn't have the shoulder belts). There may also have been an amendment to the labeling requirement 1-1-72 is my guess.
GotGrunt likes this.

"The more you know,

TC Gold #120

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 20, 2:35 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
The seat belt warning light & buzzer became a Federal requirement on January 1st, 1972. Prior to that they ran with separate seat & shoulder belts (your convertible probably doesn't have the shoulder belts). There may also have been an amendment to the labeling requirement 1-1-72 is my guess.
Thanks for the background. I actually added front shoulder belts to my car. Found an NOS kit on eBay about 20 years ago.

)

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 20, 7:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Just confirmed the date stamp was 8/71 for my 72 convertible.

)

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 20, 9:19 PM
Tech Team
Deon

Garage

On my 1972 I only have VIN and 12/71 build date.

It must be a Canadian thing.

72 Chevelle, 454, TH400, 3:73's

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 20, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72soft-top View Post
Just confirmed the date stamp was 8/71 for my 72 convertible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72SS454Chevelle View Post
On my 1972 I only have VIN and 12/71 build date.

It must be a Canadian thing.
My car is an 01A build. Iím wondering if anyone has a January 1972 build with the original VIN sticker intact. Iíd like to see if the switchover was indeed January 1st or if there was some overlap with the sticker changeover. FWIW, my car does have the seat belt warning system as well as the black rear view mirror, which I believe was another January switchover.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 20, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Gary

I found another 1972 Arlington sticker for comparison. Now I know how to format the date and that the classification should say ďpassenger carĒ. Being a W-code big block, the weight specifications are not correct for my J-code car. Anyone have a sticker from a 350-4bbl?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0C258186-DC06-4E59-B1DD-A7DCED3D98D6.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	226.5 KB
ID:	617796  
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 20, 6:31 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

I just used an old typewriter and Typed my VIN on it. . What do they charge you for making one?

)

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 20, 7:15 PM
Tech Team
John

72 Malibu 350 auto. KC build. I was also looking to have a new one made.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0779.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	617960  
GotGrunt likes this.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 20, 4:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72soft-top View Post
I just used an old typewriter and Typed my VIN on it. . What do they charge you for making one?
ECS charges $49 for theirs, preprinted with the laminate on top. Just peel and stick. The ebay blanks are cheap and I would consider attempting it myself IF I had a typewriter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTJOHN View Post
72 Malibu 350 auto. KC build. I was also looking to have a new one made.
Perfect, thanks! AC car? 12-bolt?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in