Team Chevelle banner

1969 13537 vin

9K views 53 replies 14 participants last post by  DUTCH MAX HEADWORK 
#1 ·
Can a 1969 Chevelle have a 13537 vin, and also have code 72 paint stamped on the cowl tag, along with the Kansas L stamp? My rookie brain seems to think it would have to be a 13637 vin car to have those cowl codes.

#4 ·
Car was obtained by current owner from two kids who’s father had passed away. Car was in a garage , with 1978 tags on it, it had been sitting for a Very long time.

The cars original motor was gone, but the cowl tag is unquestionably authentic and original... and it has a 13537 vin, with 72/72 paint code and the Kansas L stamp.

Owner was told the car may have possibly been a Dick Harrel special order ? I don’t jack about Dick Harrel cars other than they are badass and pricey , and super rare. Not sure how that would affect the cowl tag

#6 ·
When I hear unsubstantiated claims about previous owners or rare high special orders it raises a giant red flag. There is always a chance they are on the level, but are often used as a work around to disarm skeptical buyers. Dead father, stored since the 1970’s then bought from his sons, supposed Dick Harrell special order, relatively low price. I’ll bet there isn’t a shred of documentation. If this the car you posted a link to in your other thread about the 1970 Chevelle, that ad appears to be carefully crafted as to not make specific claims that can come back and haunt the seller who has zero feedback.

Ask yourself, why didn’t the seller disclose more of the cars supposed history in the ad? If true, those claims would substantially increase its potential sale price.

Steve R

#7 ·
Not the car I posted previously on in a separate thread.... completely different car...

The current owner of the car I am referring to made no claim to me about the car being a copo or Dick Harrel car, and it is presented as a 69 Malibu, nothing more.

I began asking him about the car, and I was intrigued by the Vin number and the fact that the 13537 made me scratch my head because of the cow tag markings.

The current owner told me that he was intrigued by it to, and someone Had mentioned to him that it could possibly have been a copo car or a special order.

He made no claims it is, nor is the price of the car reflected on that.

My take is, not every mystery of these cars has been solved, and I’m simply looking for input as to an explanation of the cowl tag markings.

So again...

Can anyone explain a 13537 car that has those codes?

#10 ·
Him mentioning to you that someone told him about the possibility of it being a COPO or Harrell car planted the seed. There is still no proof and never will be. It’s the type of thing someone brings up to make the car more compelling, if he had been told something that was unflattering you never would have heard it.

Steve R

#8 ·
do you have a jpg pic of the complete tag? your pic doesnt show up very well and doesnt open beyond the thread. Additionally, what makes you think the body tag is so correct, my first take based on your pic is it is a repro tag but without better pics and additional details it may never be known. All the 3537 cars I have seen are 6 cylinder and none had 72 codes or the L. I am interested in additional details from this chevelle, is there a build sheet? if it is so untouched there may be one in the car, how about the protect o plate? how about any body or chassis broadcast sheets in the cars paperwork? is there an original invoice? are there additional pics of the chevelle? I can be reached at my email for direct contact. thanks for posting

#9 ·
when you say vin tag I hope you are not talking about the tag you posted? that is the body or cowl tag and is NOT the vin. see if you can get the actual vin and see if it starts with 13537K in the 326XXX-328XXX range. it is interesting.

#17 ·
Working on a clear picture of VIN... I understand the cowl tag doesn’t have the vin.

Should the cowl should at least match up with vin? I.E., if 13637 is on cowl tag , that should match first 5 digits of vin?

Or can it have 13537 say on cowl tag, and vin could be 13637xxxxxxxxx

#18 ·
Should the cowl should at least match up with vin? I.E., if 13637 is on cowl tag , that should match first 5 digits of vin? Or can it have 13537 say on cowl tag, and vin could be 13637xxxxxxxxx
:cool: On a 1969 Chevelle, the first five numbers on the Vehicle Identification Number Plate (as seen through the windshield on the drivers side of the car) should match up with the first five numbers on the Cowl Tag (this is not the case on Camaros, but that is another story). At this point the Cowl Tag's "First Five" numbers are somewhat unimportant: the VIN Plate is what matters. You will also want to check the VIN as printed on the Title Card, and on any Chevrolet-supplied documentation you may have (POP, Build Sheet, etc.).

A discrepancy between the car's correct VIN Plate and the car's incorrect State-issued Title Card is a cause for some minor concern, but it shouldn't be the end of the world.

#19 ·
from chevellestuff on the cowl tag body style numbers;

"The Fisher Body Style Number does not necessarily correlate with the GM VIN as to whether the car was built with an L6 or V8 engine. In 1969 the only known plants to use the same style number on the Fisher Body Number Plate that matched GM's VIN were the Framingham, MA., the Fremont, CA. and Oshawa, ON. plants. This means that EXCEPT for Framingham, Fremont and Oshawa, all other plants would use a style number of, for example, 13637 for a Malibu 2-door sport coupe whether that particular car came with an L6 or V8."

https://www.chevellestuff.net/qd/tags/1969/kan/kan_decode.htm

#22 ·
Anyone notice anything odd about the rivets securing the trim tag?:nerd: The center is still intact and lacks the typical filler applied to the rivet. I wonder if the backside of the rivets is properly peened or if the trim tag and rivets are held in place with a glue or silicone.

Make your own conclusions on the VIN and trim tag. I'd have to see more of the car to make mine.

#25 ·
Actually it was 11A on the Kan tags. I've seen naked rivets of cars that had no reason to be tampered with, so that's not a concern, although there appears to be a dab in the center?? The inconsistency is minor but you'd have to study the KC tags to pick it up.
I agree with the convin comment, but sometimes that's not an option. It does look to be a restoration so the builder or owner should have documented all this before reassembly. If not, you'll raise a ton of skepticism. I'm not saying or implying that this is not correct, just that since it's an anomaly, it needs to be approached with due diligence.

#26 ·
...It does look to be a restoration so the builder or owner should have documented all this before reassembly. If not, you'll raise a ton of skepticism. I'm not saying or implying that this is not correct, just that since it's an anomaly, it needs to be approached with due diligence.
Based on only what we know from this thread, with cropped pictures, I am thinking the cowl tag is probably a "replacement", adding the all-important "L" and "72-72" to help increase the resale value from unsuspecting buyers...

Yep, use due diligence, and approach the car based on the quality of the build AND the 135 VIN...

#28 ·
So someone found a 6 cylinder vin number 69 with monaco orange SS ONLY colored cowl tag. that is strange especially since the 1353 is on the cowl tag too and having code 72 paint.

I once saw a completely original 67 malibu 1 owner 283 car that had a 1381 vin tag and cowl tag on it and i thought that was the weirdest thing ever.

#29 ·
So someone found a 6 cylinder vin number 69 with monaco orange SS ONLY colored cowl tag. that is strange especially since the 1353 is on the cowl tag too and having code 72 paint.
:cool: Just a minor "point of law:" If a 1969 Chevelle was Special Ordered with a non-standard paint (such as Hugger/Monaco Orange) the Trim Tag would have a pair of dashes on it and not "72 72."

I still want hear what the Title Card shows.

#52 ·
With the VIN tag starting 135, barring pictures of the trim tag before restoration showing an irrefutably original tag, it is impossible to reach any conclusion here other than this is a replacement (Fake) trim tag stuck on a factory 6-cylinder car.

This is especially true since KC did not stamp 135 on trim tags of 135 VIN'd cars. Those trim tags should say 136. See example of a 133 VIN with 134 trim tag about half way down the page here: https://www.chevellestuff.net/1969/chevelle/tags/69-kan-2.htm

I recall seeing a 136 car with 135 on the trim tag on here before but I don't remember the year.
Dean, you might be remembering the pictures on here of a 67 SS convertible, which should have had a 13867 VIN, but had a 13767 VIN tag, which is a model number that did not even exist. Pics showed no signs of tampering and appropriate patina on and around the tag. So that one was apparently a factory error on the VIN tag. But I don't recall if the error was also on the trim tag. Seems unlikely with this 69 that KC would mess up BOTH tags on the same car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.