1969 13537 vin - Page 4 - Chevelle Tech
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 54 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 19, 8:23 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage
Re: 1969 13537 vin

Thinking about it, if there have been two SS COPO 69's proven without a doubt, there may be more out there somewhere.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 54 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 19, 8:42 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Nikey .. it was brought up as a topic of conversation.

I could care less who buys the car. I am not an Chevelle expert ... lord knows. I am an expert in interviewing criminals... my only point is, the owner seemed to be telling the truth in my humble opinion.

I could be totally wrong, maybe he’s full of Sh$t. Seems like a lotttt of money to do a full frame off restoration... only to list the car for maybe a few grand what it’s actually worth.
Dean and NickeyChevelle like this.

Last edited by SCV1965SS; Nov 12th, 19 at 9:03 PM.
post #48 of 54 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 19, 9:07 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Thinking about it, if there have been two SS COPO 69's proven without a doubt, there may be more out there somewhere.
The known Kansas City-built COPO Chevelles carry the "L" Code on their Trim Tags, but that doesn't make them Z25 Optioned Chevelles (see RogerD's COPO's Trim Tag and associated documentation). The actual meaning of the "L" Code remains unknown, but it is associated by some with Chevelles that have the lower chrome trim and "Malibu" emblems "deleted (such as Z-25s and COPOs)" -- at least for those COPOs built in Kansas City. Baltimore-built COPOs (which make up the vast majority of COPO 9536 et. al. Chevelles) use the "standard "M" Code on the Trim Tag. I understand that there is one LA-Built COPO, but I believe there are no codes on its Trim Tag. Oh if only the COPOs had been built in Canada!

There IS a surviving example from a batch of 4 door COPO Chevelle Malibus built for the Arizona Highway Patrol (sufficient changes were made to the Chevelles that the B04 Police Package was not used!). Does anyone know the current whereabouts of this Malibu (last I heard the Chevelle was in Indiana or Ohio)? I'd love to see a picture of this Malibu's Trim Tag.

Unfortunately, we will likely never know what the "L" Code actually represents.

Our You Tube Vids:

post #49 of 54 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 19, 9:26 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCV1965SS View Post
Nikey .. it was brought up as a topic of conversation.

I could care less who buys the car. I am not an Chevelle expert ... lord knows. I am an expert in interviewing criminals... my only point is, the owner seemed to be telling the truth in my humble opinion.

I could be totally wrong, maybe hes full of Sh$t. Seems like a lotttt of money to do a full frame off restoration... only to list the car for maybe a few grand what its actually worth.
Well thanks for starting such an interesting discussion even though the mystery of a six cylinder bodied SS may never be solved.
NickeyChevelle likes this.

post #50 of 54 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 19, 4:56 PM
Tech Team

In my opinion we have a factory 6 cylinder malibu that someone tailored a cowl tag to indicate a possible SS car by adding the 72 72 SS only color without knowing the vin sequence was an important factor. If this cowl tag was a legit factory mistake the tag would be stamped 1363 v8 designated NOT 1353 with 7272 which was unavailable as a color option on the 6 cylinder malibu
Steve R likes this.
post #51 of 54 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 19, 10:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Stephanie

Question Re: 1969 13537 vin

I recently saw this car for sale and was interested in it so I came here to ask questions about the vin and the paint code on the tag when I did a search first and came across this thread.
After reading through all the responses I'm just wondering what you think it is worth? Strictly as a Malibu that started life as a 6 cyl and now has been very nicely restored and upgraded. We've talked with the guy and he is firm on $29k. I haven't seen it in person yet, might go this weekend to check it out if you guys think it is even worth my time. The car is about a 7 hour round trip for me. I really like the car and the detailed pictures look like quality work. How much does the 135 vin affect the value? If it was a 136 vin I would be less hesitant but I also worry about resale value down the road. I'm not buying to flip or anything like that but my husband usually only keeps cars for a couple years before he's ready for something new and this one is for him. Any opinions would be appreciated.

TC member #3204
Aces member #08174
post #52 of 54 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 19, 6:14 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

With the VIN tag starting 135, barring pictures of the trim tag before restoration showing an irrefutably original tag, it is impossible to reach any conclusion here other than this is a replacement (Fake) trim tag stuck on a factory 6-cylinder car.

This is especially true since KC did not stamp 135 on trim tags of 135 VIN'd cars. Those trim tags should say 136. See example of a 133 VIN with 134 trim tag about half way down the page here: https://www.chevellestuff.net/1969/c...s/69-kan-2.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
I recall seeing a 136 car with 135 on the trim tag on here before but I don't remember the year.
Dean, you might be remembering the pictures on here of a 67 SS convertible, which should have had a 13867 VIN, but had a 13767 VIN tag, which is a model number that did not even exist. Pics showed no signs of tampering and appropriate patina on and around the tag. So that one was apparently a factory error on the VIN tag. But I don't recall if the error was also on the trim tag. Seems unlikely with this 69 that KC would mess up BOTH tags on the same car.

Jeff Helms
-65 Z16 Survivor (Red/black/white int.) (
)
-65 Z16 drag car, unrestored (Red/Red)
-65 SS Convertible (Red)
-65 300 2-dr Wagon, Modified (Tuxedo Black)

-66 SS L78 Coupe (Marina Blue), unrestored
-66 SS L34/M20 Survivor Coupe (Aztec Bronze) - 'Vintage Legend' Certified (
)
-66 SS Convertible (Marina Blue)- "LOADED"

-67 SS L78 Survivor Coupe (Grenada Gold)
-67 SS L34/M21 Survivor Coupe (Tahoe Turquoise)
-67 SS L34/M20 Convertible (Bolero Red)
-67 ElCamino L35/M20 (Butternut Yellow)
-67 Concours Station Wagon (Mountain Green)

-67 Camaro SS350 Survivor (Grenada Gold)- 'Vintage Legend' Certified by the American Camaro Association
post #53 of 54 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 19, 9:12 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Maybe that's it Jeff.

post #54 of 54 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 19, 9:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrfan8bud View Post
I recently saw this car for sale and was interested in it so I came here to ask questions about the vin and the paint code on the tag when I did a search first and came across this thread.
After reading through all the responses I'm just wondering what you think it is worth? Strictly as a Malibu that started life as a 6 cyl and now has been very nicely restored and upgraded. We've talked with the guy and he is firm on $29k. I haven't seen it in person yet, might go this weekend to check it out if you guys think it is even worth my time. The car is about a 7 hour round trip for me. I really like the car and the detailed pictures look like quality work. How much does the 135 vin affect the value? If it was a 136 vin I would be less hesitant but I also worry about resale value down the road. I'm not buying to flip or anything like that but my husband usually only keeps cars for a couple years before he's ready for something new and this one is for him. Any opinions would be appreciated.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Chevro...p2047675.l2557

If it's as rust free and mechanically solid as stated, 29 grand is a fair price. You can't restore and build one for that price.
NickeyChevelle likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in