COWL Tag Reproduction - Chevelle Tech
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By buenymayor
  • 2 Post By DaleM

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 19, 9:17 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bruce

COWL Tag Reproduction

Not sure if this is the correct forum for this, but looks like it!

I need to have my COWL tag reproduced due to damage during body work/painting.

There was a place I had found but really not getting any response from them, so I was wondering if anyone here had successfully had this done that they would recommend?

I have all the information from the original, my concern is the quality and "correctness" of the reproduction. The originals have some of the stamping very crisp (i.e ST, TR, BDY, & PNT) where the actual information stamped such as certain characters are not stamped as crisp (numbers are not as crisp as most of the alphabet characters), thus the originality would be lost if all the stampings on the reproduction if all the characters are crisp.

'68 el Camino SS 396/325hp, 4 Speed, 3.31, Buckets, AC
'72 el Camino SS 454 4 Speed, 3.73 Eaton LSD, Buckets, AC
'75 el Camino SS, 400 SB, 200R4, 3.42 LSD, AC, Swivel Buckets, PW, PDL
'87 el Camino SS 305 TPI, 200R4, 3.73 LSD
'87 Buick Grand National (Hardtop, Bucket Seats)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 19, 12:11 PM
Senior Tech Team
Brian

Re: COWL Tag Reproduction

Lots of guys out there that can spot a fake tag (reproduction) from a mile away. The Chevelle world doesn't seem to make a big deal about it, but the Camaro world does. Whatever you decide to do, hang on to the original tag.
NickeyChevelle likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 19, 12:25 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

Lately there have been quite a few instances of people "fakeing" cowl tags to enhance the resale value of their chevelles. You should just keep the original tag on the car...

After all, just how badly damaged could a cowl tag get, eh? Post some photos.

Our You Tube Vids:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 19, 12:50 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

I think someone is still selling them on eBay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 19, 6:00 PM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

You can get them made at Chevelle - TRIM TAGS.

You're best bet is to take a good photo of what you have so they can reproduce it CORRECTLY. There are many variations depending on the year and plant, neither of which you show. Also, be aware that some states such as Oklahoma have made it crime to sell a car in, or bring into the state, a car with a reproduction trim tag unless it has the words REPLACEMENT TAG stamped on it as well. Might not be an issue now but if ever sold to somebody in Oklahoma without disclosure it could present problems. As others have said, at least keep the original trim tag as proof - if you can take a photo of it still on the car before removing it.

Trim Tag Plates - Intentionally Destroying, Removing, Altering, Covering - Counterfeits
LeoP and davewho1 like this.

TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998

* Build Sheet Data Collection
* Author:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in