Vinyl top code - Chevelle Tech
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By DaleM

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 19, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Vinyl top code

I just went back and checked the info on my trim tag, and it has 61 63 paint code, which looks like burnished brown and champagne gold. Somewhere along the line, my car was painted blue and it now has a white vinyl top. I don't see a letter code anywhere for the top, so is it safe to assume that it was added and the car was originally champagne gold? The inside of the doors looked more brown where they were covered. Is it possible that the car had a gold vinyl top or must there be a letter code? This is a Baltimore built car. I'm not worried about it matching anything. I just wanted to know a little more about the car. I like the way vinyl tops look on Chevelles. TIA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 19, 12:08 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Re: Vinyl top code

Does it have the factory Vinyl top Mouldings?

Auto Upholstery Trimmer since 1977
Palo Alto Upholstery 650 326 6414
1967 Chevelle Super Sport 4sp.
1953 Chevy Bel Air 4 door.
1957 Chevy Bel Air 2 dr Hard Top.
1968 Chevy C20 CST Longbed.
1967 Malibu 396 Powerglide.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 19, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

I'm not sure where the trim came from, or if it is even correct now. I'm guessing there's a difference between the two tone and vinyl???

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 19, 8:13 AM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

Two-tone and vinyl top sport coupes have the same trim. Paint codes 61 63 are lower and upper body color codes for Burnished Brown lower and Champagne upper and 5,658 1969 Chevelles were painted that two-tone combination. A 1969 Chevelle with a vinyl top would have a letter for the upper body color such as 61 B for a black vinyl top.

https://www.chevellestuff.net/1969/paint.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	61_63.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	599090  
LeoP likes this.

TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* Build Sheet Data Collection
* Author:

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 19, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

That makes sense. I guess that wasn't a very popular color combo. Now I need to see if the drip rail trim is correct, or if the previous top was put on half-ass. Thanks.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 19, 11:45 PM
Team Member
Dave

It was actually very popular then, not so much now. I've seen a good number of cars with these codes that are now another color
I really like thoe combo myself.

It is a rare man who can count his own blessings and not mistake them for personal achievements.
"SSuper Dave" Palmer
A.C.E.S. #1483 TC #32 Gold
1970 El Camino Custom, 350/300, needs paint, rust free Arizona car
1968 Caprice coupe, Ash Gold/Ivy Gold, 327/300hp, rally wheels, disc brakes, buckets, console, am/fm and tach dash, tilt and a/c.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 19, 2:53 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

It looks sharp in the pic. I only ever knew mine as some unknown shade of blue, which is how the previous owner got it in 93 off of a used car dealer near the viaduct in Reading PA. that leaves 24 years unaccounted for. I posted a want ad for the trim I'll need, but not expecting much. Thanks everyone for the help.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 19, 6:10 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleM View Post
Two-tone and vinyl top sport coupes have the same trim. Paint codes 61 63 are lower and upper body color codes for Burnished Brown lower and Champagne upper and 5,658 1969 Chevelles were painted that two-tone combination. A 1969 Chevelle with a vinyl top would have a letter for the upper body color such as 61 B for a black vinyl top.

https://www.chevellestuff.net/1969/paint.htm
Dale, have you seen any evidence of white vinyl tops on Chevelles/El Caminos?

According to the order sheet that came with my EC, it was ordered with a white vinyl top yet I see no codes for a white vinyl top in the reference that you placed above.

Any insight appreciated.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Jax, FL

69 SS 396 El Camino
Numbers Match
(Resto began 7-17)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 19, 7:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
RonO.

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFLY View Post

According to the order sheet that came with my EC, it was ordered with a white vinyl top yet I see no codes for a white vinyl top in the reference that you placed above.

Any insight appreciated.

It's probably on your body data plate located on cowl. Paint color followed by "A" for white vinyl top. (ie 48 A ).

1970-LS5, #28- Fathom Blue,TH400, original motor car.
1970- NOM, 496, M21, #48 Forest Green.
1972- Malibu, 350. TH350- original motor car, #43 Gulf Green.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 19, 10:04 PM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

Quote:

Any insight appreciated.

About half-way down the page. In 1969 it was called 'parchment.' This is the only El Camino with parchment vinyl top that I have photos of but quite a few Malibus - here and in my photo database.

https://www.chevellestuff.net/1969/c...lery/index.htm

My old Concours optioned sport sedan had a parchment vinyl top.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	599262   Click image for larger version

Name:	bd97_3.jpg
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	599264  

* Author:

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 19, 7:43 AM
Tech Team

Thanks Dale.

Here is the info directly from my EC order sheet:

6C08AJ VINYL ROOF COVER/WHITE $39.20

However, trim tag does not have the suffix mentioned above?

Maybe this is rarer than I think? LOL.

Jax, FL

69 SS 396 El Camino
Numbers Match
(Resto began 7-17)
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 19, 10:13 AM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

Quote:
Thanks Dale.

Here is the info directly from my EC order sheet:

6C08AJ VINYL ROOF COVER/WHITE $39.20

However, trim tag does not have the suffix mentioned above?

Maybe this is rarer than I think? LOL.
That's cheap. Dealer invoices and shipping documents I've seen for 69 El Caminos, as well as GM price sheet) shows $59.20 and $59.30 for vinyl top. Trim tag does NOT show "E" as the upper body code (example here is B for Black).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	69_camino_tag.jpg
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	599336  

* Author:

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 19, 2:00 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleM View Post
That's cheap. Dealer invoices and shipping documents I've seen for 69 El Caminos, as well as GM price sheet) shows $59.20 and $59.30 for vinyl top. Trim tag does NOT show "E" as the upper body code (example here is B for Black).

Dale, once again you bail me out.
Yes, my trim tag does say "E" as you have pointed out.

Thank you kind sir!

Jax, FL

69 SS 396 El Camino
Numbers Match
(Resto began 7-17)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in