Determining Engine Type - 1971 402? - Chevelle Tech
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

4Likes
  • 1 Post By DUTCH MAX HEADWORK
  • 1 Post By LKN BCK
  • 1 Post By DUTCH MAX HEADWORK
  • 1 Post By NickeyChevelle

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 19, 3:02 PM Thread Starter

Determining Engine Type - 1971 402?

Hi all - working on a 66 SS that my dad originally bought back in the eighties, and trying to figure out which engine was put in it.

From what I can tell the motor is a 71, and I am guessing it's a 402 but I am not sure when it was replaced (does this mean it would be a 300hp truck motor?). It is either a warranty replacement or possibly sold as a crate motor/pulled out of something else, I don't know. Just though I would see if anyone can help with how to figure this out, as I get a lot of conflicting info online.

Casting Stamp is 3969854 which I am showing could be a 69-72 396/402/454.

Block stamp is CE155269.

I am having trouble determining exactly what it is, and have no idea what it came out of without a partial VIN stamp. I am assuming a 71 stamped engine would not have been a warranty replacement for 66.

Does anyone have any insight by chance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 19, 8:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage
Re: Determining Engine Type - 1971 402?

In 1971, a 396 is a 402. Chevy just called it a 396 even though it was a 402 cubic inch engine.

One can tell the difference in a 396/402 vs a 454 fairly easily if you check the flywheel or harmonic balancer to see if they have a balance weight on them. A 454 is externally balanced and will have an off set weight on both the harmonic balancer and flywheel or flexplate.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CE = Chevy Engine and is sometimes mistakenly referred to counter exchange by some. The first number is the year of assembly, the remainder are the serial number. Each plant had a designated set of numbers assigned to it. If they went through their assigned numbers, they would start over but include an "A" after the first number to indicate the second go round of the series. CE engines had a paper tag describing the engine, no stampings were typically placed on a CE engine to describe the engine.

I think Chevy started their 5 year 50,000 mile warranty in 67 then ended it after the 70 year model, I need back up on this or sources. I'm going off memory here. I think 66 had 3 year 30,000 warranty on the drivetrain, so that would exclude a 71 engine as a warranty replacement.

Some crate engines sold did bear the CE stamping.

Don't take what I have said below the line here as gospel. I replied from memory and you or someone else should research this info if it means that much to you.
Wadsworthington likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 19, 9:06 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dan

I have pretty much the same engine
ce
My fathers buddy bought new a triple black 69 SS elcamino and something went bad with the engine. He got the ce block under warranty.
He rolled and totaled the car and my father bought the car from him for parts.
He loved that car even totaled as he had sitting in his garage for nearly a year
before he sold to us.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by LKN BCK; Jun 6th, 19 at 9:26 PM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 19, 9:46 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

454 will have a balance weight on the harmonic balancer, flywheel, and flexplate as shown in the attachments.

Use a coat hanger bent and run it around the backside of the harmonic balancer to feel for the weight.

Auto trans? Pull the lower splash cover and check the front side of the flexplate. Weight will be attached somewhere near the starter gear.

Head casting numbers and dates might lead us somewhere if you pull the valve covers and post the numbers. Maybe lead to a speculative conclusion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	454 flex plate.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	595226  
Attached Images

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 19, 9:53 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dan

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 19, 7:57 AM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

That casting number is either a 396 or 402 I don't see it listed as a 454 in any of my documentation. Probably an over the counter engine.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 19, 11:39 AM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

The Casting Date will tell you when the block was cast. That's always the first place to begin your investigation.

Our You Tube Vids:

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 19, 4:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH MAX HEADWORK View Post
In 1971, a 396 is a 402. Chevy just called it a 396 even though it was a 402 cubic inch engine.

One can tell the difference in a 396/402 vs a 454 fairly easily if you check the flywheel or harmonic balancer to see if they have a balance weight on them. A 454 is externally balanced and will have an off set weight on both the harmonic balancer and flywheel or flexplate.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CE = Chevy Engine and is sometimes mistakenly referred to counter exchange by some. The first number is the year of assembly, the remainder are the serial number. Each plant had a designated set of numbers assigned to it. If they went through their assigned numbers, they would start over but include an "A" after the first number to indicate the second go round of the series. CE engines had a paper tag describing the engine, no stampings were typically placed on a CE engine to describe the engine.

I think Chevy started their 5 year 50,000 mile warranty in 67 then ended it after the 70 year model, I need back up on this or sources. I'm going off memory here. I think 66 had 3 year 30,000 warranty on the drivetrain, so that would exclude a 71 engine as a warranty replacement.

Some crate engines sold did bear the CE stamping.

Don't take what I have said below the line here as gospel. I replied from memory and you or someone else should research this info if it means that much to you.
Thanks so much for the info! I get so many conflicting things from websites. The warranty information is pretty much exactly what my dad was thinking. I think I can confidently say it is a '71 396.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 19, 4:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKN BCK View Post
I have pretty much the same engine
ce
My fathers buddy bought new a triple black 69 SS elcamino and something went bad with the engine. He got the ce block under warranty.
He rolled and totaled the car and my father bought the car from him for parts.
He loved that car even totaled as he had sitting in his garage for nearly a year
before he sold to us.
Thanks for the reply...I think it's probably safe to assume it was a 396 replacement, now I just wish I knew how it ended up in there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in