Computer Punch Card? 69 Chevelle - Chevelle Tech
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 19, 8:23 PM Thread Starter
Dan

Computer Punch Card? 69 Chevelle

Hello all - new owner, old car seeking assistance on decoding a punch card found in my Chevelle.
I am attaching a picture of the card which has 755 (bench seat) and 36 (Malibu) 67 (convert) in Bold print.
What I am hoping to learn is if there is some cross reference chart between the small punched holes and tiny numbers along the bottom.

Any help most gladly appreciated!

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190406_201216_1554596609058.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	3.01 MB
ID:	591024  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 19, 9:02 AM
Woj
Senior Tech Team
Phil

Re: Computer Punch Card? 69 Chevelle

This question has been kicked around here before, but I don't believe there has been an answer on decoding the punch holes. I used punch cards in programming classes back in the early 80's and I'd guess you'd need a punch card reader. As far as your card is concerned, you will find the interior code and body style on it and it should correspond to the body number on your trim tag. If it is from your car, it only verifies body style, interior code assigned to that body number. Phil Woj
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 19, 9:15 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Andy

first verify that it is from your chevelle, the body number should match the last five on your body/cowl tag-the fisher body number, if it doesnt it belongs to another chevelle. it is common for docs to be in other cars. there is limited decoding for the ibm cards. some have RPO numbers printed in the options section and some dont. some of the other numbers might match the body tag or even be on a build sheet if you are fortunate enough to have one. looks like a convertible (3667) with a black bench seat (755). hope this helps, andy

Andy
1969 Baltimore SS Chevelle
1969 Trim Tag Research (Ongoing)
More 1969 Chevelle data needed submit your info today
Information Security enforced
TC# 3135
ACES# 08305

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 19, 9:21 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

I've responded a couple times re: the punch cards. The punch happens at the intersection of the numbers across the top and the letters at the side. That punch would designate options such as M40, C60, B80 etc. I have 2 for my convertible, one is perfectly intact, the other is mangled a bit. The option codes match the car. Found both in the front bench seat bottom.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 19, 7:29 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheveslakr View Post
I've responded a couple times re: the punch cards. The punch happens at the intersection of the numbers across the top and the letters at the side. That punch would designate options such as M40, C60, B80 etc. I have 2 for my convertible, one is perfectly intact, the other is mangled a bit. The option codes match the car. Found both in the front bench seat bottom.
What year/factory?

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 19, 2:10 AM Thread Starter
Dan

1969 - Baltimore
I have tried to read up on this matter but didn't find those prior queries & responses.

I know that the card I have photographed (above) is for/from my car as the bold numbers match. It was found under tge seat.

What I am seeking to learn, or really rather Find is some sort of 'overlay' with the verticle and horizontal markers.

While my card has tiny numbers along the bottom, I have neither top nor side navigators. I understand that holes will correspond to such triangulation, but I am missing one ir more axes.

Does anyone have a source for outside axes/parameters?

Thank you, the joy is in the journey!

Dan
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 19, 9:19 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

1958 Punch Card, Build Record Sheet, and Dataplate Decoding
Not the same, but maybe a starting point.
Basically from the end, each column is 1 character.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Today, 9:42 AM
Woj
Senior Tech Team
Phil

I recently found a website that allows you to make your own punch cards. I have several punch cards from my Baltimore Chevelles. I was able to punch numbers and letters across a card from the website to serve as a template. Then I printed a card on my printer, had to shrink it a bit to match up to my actual card. After laying the original card over the downloaded card, I was able to read the card. It basically punched out what was written across the top of the card. So, no revelations, just that the punched holes matched what was written on the card. I'll see if I can download them on this post. I used these cards years ago in school and it all makes sense. Phil Woj

Well, I can't post pix off my work computer. Here's a link to the punch card site: https://www.masswerk.at/keypunch/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in